Great Moments in Job Satisfaction

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
carrie

Great Moments in Job Satisfaction

Post by carrie »

As a textbook writer/editor, I had a rewarding experience last night when my daughter was studying in my room, reading her US history book (not one that I worked on, but like many that I have worked on) and answering questions in her "packet." At one point, she slammed the book down on the bed and said, "Listen to this. Why do people WRITE like this?" And she read from the book: "A tariff is a tax on imports." She then said, "They may as well have written that a tariff is a gromusblot on fengerattle. The only word in that sentence that means anything to me is tariff, which sounds like sheriff so it always gets me thinking about the wild west." Ah, nothing like feeling that your professional efforts are paying off.

And here's another, from many years ago:

I was walking to the train on Wabash Avenue in downtown Chicago, when a former student from my basic writing class, a Filipina, came running up breathlessly to me, calling my (still maiden) name, "Miss Francis, Miss Francis! Didn't you tell us that modifiers are supposed to dangle? My 101 teacher says they're not!"

Anybody else have great moments in job satisfaction?

Carol
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Great Moments in Job Satisfaction

Post by Congratulations »

Having read your post, dangling modifiers are a horrid mangling of the English language.

Sincerely,
Jared <---English Major :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

I don't understand. What's wrong with, "A tariff is a tax on imports."?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

djm wrote:I don't understand. What's wrong with, "A tariff is a tax on imports."?

djm
Well, it doesn't mean much to a person who is unfamiliar with either the term "tax," or "import."
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

My current job has various little victories of figuring out the intracacies of Adobe software for design, no great epiphany, but moments of feeling satisfied as I watch my diminishing crop of hair fall out from the lead-up.

But I have been looking for the suitable thread to throw this one out, so excuse the momentary hijack for a humorous moment at work.

I work in a retirement community on the newspaper, doing ads and setting copy, etc. There is a weekly ad that makes me guffaw and always reminds me of the wisecrackers here at the Forum, who will appreciate it.

The ad is for sufferer's of Parkinsons Disease and is about an ongoing forum and activities. Entertainment is provided by a members' musical group: "The Tremble Clefs."

Tis true, I swear.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Carol, t must be satisfying to have an ex-student come up and say something positive about your efforts. Especially when so many kids treat teachers like dirt.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote:Carol, t must be satisfying to have an ex-student come up and say something positive about your efforts. Especially when so many kids treat teachers like dirt.
Well...I guess she was remembering an ex-teacher positively, even if the memory was a bit skewed.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

"And the old modifier,went dingle dangle
all along the banks of the Royal Canal."

Sometimes I just can't help myself :oops:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Denny

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote:"And the old modifier,went dingle dangle
all along the banks of the Royal Canal."

Sometimes I just can't help myself :oops:

Slan,
D.
roger... :o
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

emmline wrote: Well...I guess she was remembering an ex-teacher positively, even if the memory was a bit skewed.
I was walking home from the local corner store the other day when a guy came up to me and said he had been in one of my classes. He greeted me fairly enthusiastically which I took to mean I hadn't entirely turned him off the subject. In fact he said he majored in it. I asked if he was the guy who had the great 1936 Ford panel truck. He said he was the guy except it was a 1940 truck. "Of course, I was a hippie back in those days. I was stoned all the time."
fearfaoin

Re: Great Moments in Job Satisfaction

Post by fearfaoin »

cskinner wrote:"They may as well have written that a tariff is a gromusblot on fengerattle..."
I could just see Bill Cosby writing a textbook:

"A tariff is a skiz'mflop on kerfrothemboogie, eatin' the pudding."
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Quite a few years ago I was teaching a little Sunday School class of four-year-olds. I had a challenging lesson one day - about death. I went through the lesson, using the hand/glove explanation (the hand is the physical body, the glove is the spirit...take the glove off to explain death, etc.). I felt like I was truly getting through to them as they were extremely quiet, hanging on every word. It was such a good feeling, knowing they were really listening. You could have heard a pin drop. I wanted to bring out personal experiences, so I asked, "Have any of you had anybody you loved die?" One little boy instantly raised his hand and exclaimed enthusiastically, "Teacher, I found a quarter in the toilet!"

Class dismissed.

Susan
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

susnfx wrote:One little boy instantly raised his hand and exclaimed enthusiastically, "Teacher, I found a quarter in the toilet!"
So there really is a Ralph Wiggum!

Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I've received a good number of emails from people telling me how they can't run their business--or even live--without my softward. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I also get the occasional email telling me that my software is a piece of crap--and too expensive, to boot. :cry:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Job satisfaction? Meh.....
The Weekenders wrote:Entertainment is provided by a members' musical group: "The Tremble Clefs."
There's a blood-donor drive going on this Halloween season sponsored by a local TV channel, and they're calling it "Hemogoblin".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician