Favorite frankenstein whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tres
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Favorite frankenstein whistles?

Post by Tres »

As I've mentioned before, one of my best whistles is my "Oakenstein"-- a Oak D head with a Generation brass D body.

Anyone else had luck mixing and matching whistle heads and bodies?

Tres

Post by Guest »

Not really on the subject, but does anyone know where I might buy a head for a feadog? My grandparents gave me one they bought in Dublin years ago and on the third tweak I cracked the head (switching from puddy to wax...I think the heat did it) And also, after putting the head back on after tweaking it had already been loose so I tried to give it some grip by sandpapering the end of the body which didn't work...sorry if i messed up your thread I just didn't think this deserved it's own.
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I was tweaking my Feadog and, just for fun, I put the Cream colored head from my Guiness whistle on the Feadog body and it sounds pretty good. It mellowed out the high overtones of the Feadog somewhat and looks cool with the "off white" head on the brass body. I think the problem with that Guiness is the thin aluminum body - I never like it too much - it was a gift and had been my car whistle for a while.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

I wanted a low C to play in the key of F. There was an Overton Low C here for sale but some one bought it before me. I took the head off my Howard low D and found that the aluminum handle of my pool dip net fit perfect. I cut it off and drilled holes and it sounds great.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

A generation blue D head on a LBW body has a chiffy, big sound with a little tweaking, but it's as ugly as sin.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

I like my Sweetone with a brass B-flat body. It is sweet and "singy". Just like the original, but in B-flat!
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
familyguy

Post by familyguy »

I've got an old Walton C I was given with a crap head. I whipped it off and have been experimenting with making my own head for it. I got one to sound OK, but damn it looks bad. A professional machinist I aint.
doogieman wrote:it was a gift and had been my car whistle for a while.
I've got one of them too...makes for a relaxing commute while waiting at traffic lights.
Mummy, whats a fippledelic?
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My favorite is my SindtDog - a Feadog D brass tube on a Sindt head. The Sindt tube virtually requires you to half-hole to get an in-tune Cnat. The Feadog body is nicely in tune and doesn't change the tone of the Sindt. I think the Sindt's tone comes mostly from the mouthpiece. I have also switched around just about every whistle head and tube I've got at one time or another. Sometime it works and sometimes not. I usually end up back with the original combination of head and tube - except for the SindtDog.
Mike
seizurebot

Post by seizurebot »

I sanded down a generation Eb body that I had, so I could fit the head from my Sindt D on it. Now I have the equivilant of a Sindt Eb, for $4.
Tres

Post by Tres »

seizurebot wrote:I sanded down a generation Eb body that I had, so I could fit the head from my Sindt D on it. Now I have the equivilant of a Sindt Eb, for $4.
I also put a generation brass D body into my Sindt D head and I thought it sounded pretty good (and was better for playing Cnat). However, I decided to dedicate that Sindt head to Eb and ordered an Eb tube from Sindt. I'm very happy with it now (to me the Sindt Eb's sound better than the D's)

Tres
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

My favorite is a clare two piece with a whitecap on it. I'm sure a lto fo people have done this one, but I definatly love mine.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

ctilbury wrote:I like my Sweetone with a brass B-flat body. It is sweet and "singy". Just like the original, but in B-flat!
Did that with a Meg and an 'A' body. Very sweet, but the bell note is barely audible.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

Chiffed wrote:
ctilbury wrote:I like my Sweetone with a brass B-flat body. It is sweet and "singy". Just like the original, but in B-flat!
Did that with a Meg and an 'A' body. Very sweet, but the bell note is barely audible.
I had the same problem getting the B-flat body to work. I shortened and rounded the fipple blade just a little bit and added 5 minute epoxy to the cavity behind the airway. After that it was much better. I cut an A tube for my Sweetone, but I had a hard time getting it to work. I am afraid or ruining the fipple if I tweak it much more. I need to buy a couple more. <<grin>>
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com