Is WHOA ever REALLY cured? I thought so but....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Is WHOA ever REALLY cured? I thought so but....

Post by IDAwHOa »

Just to mention that I have played this whistle and my O'Riordan in the same practice sessions and my VERY picky wife could NOT tell the difference between them. I can hear VERY slight differences but one time I think the Rose has a more round sound and then I think the O'Riordan does.

Anyway, isn't she a beaut?

Oh, and I am waiting for an Overton Bass Bb to show up for sale too.

What was YOUR last outbreak of WHOA caused by?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
MacNeil
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MacNeil »

My last outbreak? Well, that was at last Saturday's session, where I finally got to try a Burke. (Actually, two of them: an aluminum session bore and a brass narrow bore. I now want a brass session bore.)

The time before that would have to be my first experience with a Copeland...
Raven Falls Photography
www.ravenfallsphotography.com
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

Mine was last Saturday in Amsterdam, I bought a Chieftain Bb !!
:) Rini
scheky

Post by scheky »

Started playing the whistle again after a long absence (but it was made easier by the lovely sounds of the concertina).

All in two weeks time...

Copeland D
Copeland Low D
O'Brien Set (D, Bb, C, E, Eb)
O'Brien 3 piece

I think I'll wait a few months before deciding to buy any more. Of course, I now have a good whistle in every key I can think necessary (including the several whistles I had before) and have even passed on most of my cheapies to my little one (almost 2 years old and already coming down with WHOA).
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I've just bought my first Overton (an alto F) - many years of Whoaton to come for me then!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I recently had a big outbreak:

Bleazey Blackwood High D
Sindt High D
Sindt High C
Black Diamond High D
Water Weasel Eb

I got rid of a Burke DASBT (For the C) and a Syn Full Set (For the Eb). Plus a Geert Lejune Flute but I would have to say that the Eb was what started it after I decided that I needed one of Glenn's Whistles.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Steven:

Congratulations on that exceedingly expeditious acquisition of that beautiful Fred Rose whistle. As you are aware, your inquiry about the Rose led to me getting mine back into the rotation, and I thank you for that. Nice pic, too!

Tom D.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Tom Dowling wrote:Steven:

Congratulations on that exceedingly expeditious acquisition of that beautiful Fred Rose whistle. As you are aware, your inquiry about the Rose led to me getting mine back into the rotation, and I thank you for that. Nice pic, too!

Tom D.
Even better was I got it for a better price than the one I WAS going to get!! :D

I just got a note from Fred that the Pink Ivorywood one he was prototyping is ready for ferrules now. Oh, what to do about that one!!??
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jack

Post by Jack »

Yes, it's cured. I have only one whistle and I never play it. :)
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I am officially announcing here that I am cured (recovering?). I have every whistle I could imagine wanting and am spending my time learning new tunes on a handful of high Ds. I can thank Jim Durdin and Bill Ochs for my recovery. From Jim I not too long ago acquired a beautifully voiced Copeland C, seemingly forever missing from my grasp, along with a matched similarly voiced D. I also recently started lessons again with Bill and am too busy trying to keep up with the music to even drool over new whistles. Let's start a pool as to how long this lasts, eh?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Philo,

It does my old heart good to know that the Copeland C went to someone who gives it such a good home and it was an added bonus that it's buddy the D Copeland was also adopted. Good whistles to a good home. The delrin Abell "ain't too shabby, either."

Glad you survived the tornado in Madison in August. I was at Spruce Tree Music when the sirens went off and managed to stay behind the storm system as it moved east.

take care

jim d
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Thanks Jim - unfortuneately, we traveled right along side the tornado, but alas made it just fine. Never made it to Spruce Tree; maybe next time. Be well.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

I think I just caught my first small bout of WhOA. I got a Clarke D a few months ago, and just this week I ordered a Clarke C and a Dixon Low D. I keep seeing whistles online and I have to keep mysels in check so I don't buy them ("Oh, it's only $7, I can afford it"). If I keep it up I'll spend my whole paycheck on whistles. :lol:
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I think a significant component of this wonderful obsession, speaking as one who admits to having it, is that each new arrival holds the promise of being 'the one' --the magical instrument that will help you get out what is in there to be gotten out. Immediately upon completing the sale of three whistles--in a vain attempt to thin out the herd--I made an offer on one with a price that just happens to be equal to the price I got for the three. It's not like really buying a new whistle when you use funds from the sale of old ones, right?

Me, I'll never be cured. At best, I'll get a brief reprieve when the next gem arrives. Then, maybe a week later, maybe a month later, like a shark that has to keep moving or die, I will begin trolling the Board or the Net for that 'perfect whistle.'

Tom D.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I was "cured" - for about 11 months - partly due to not visiting this forum too often. However, I am currently thinking that perhaps I need a low C....I'm sure it's just pure coincidence that this comes soon after I made the decision to lurk more regularly again.

:D

PS. I did pop in during the whole Spillane low D review ruckus, though. Very entertaining.