Taking your place in a seated row gracefully

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

When passing a seated row in a theatre, how do you proceed?

Heini to face
71%
Face to face
12%
Volatile passer-by
No votes
I always take the first seat in a row
18%

Total votes: 17

ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Taking your place in a seated row gracefully

Post by ChristianRo »

Chiffers help, please! I never can remember what is PC when crawling to my seat in a theatre or cinema. When people pull their knees up to their chin to let me through, do I pass them staring in their face or do I keep my eyes firmly on the stage/screen? What's your preferrence? Do Europeans behave differently from Americans?
Investigating mind needs to know.
Christian
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Responding directly to the title of your thread... It can't be done.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Taking your place in a seated row gracefully

Post by fearfaoin »

ChristianRo wrote:Do Europeans behave differently from Americans?
Apparantly, because speaking for my countrymen, we don't give a rat's patootie.
Though, here in the South, you still have to say "excuse me, "sorry", and "Thank you" to everyone you pass, unless the show is in progress.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Do you mean folding seats or fixed seats? Most people that I've observed here will stand, letting their seat fold and giving the passer more room. The passer is expected to apologise quietly and sincerely as s/he passes, and to try not to step on anyone's feet.

I don't think I've been anywhere with non-folding seats recently.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

buddhu wrote:Responding directly to the title of your thread... It can't be done.
buddhu is right - no way to do it gracefully. Especially if it's cold and you are wearing a heavy coat and carrying popcorn and a drink.

Thank goodness for 2 things - 1) most movie theaters are pretty empty (around here anyway) so there's usually an empty row and 2) the newer auditoriums have wider aisles than the old ones did.
Charlene
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The seated party, if near the aisle, should step out into the aisle graciously. Otherwise, should turn at an angle so that their knees do not impede movement, or (better) should stand as far as necessary, and should turn their faces to the side, as if they do not notice what is passing.

A person in a row ahead of this should lean slightly forward.

The entering party should angle themselves so that neither heinie nor anti-heinie are directly in the face of the seated parties, and should excuse themselves as they pass by. Once seated, they should remain so as far as is possible.

This only holds prior to the performance or during intermissions. Once the performance has started, it is appropriate to wait for an intermission.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

... and an added coutesy, eat a bunch of Beano.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Emily Post says:

"In passing across people who are seated, always face the stage and press as close to the backs of the seats you are facing as you can. Remember also not to drag anything across the heads of those sitting in front of you. At the moving pictures, especially when it is dark and difficult to see, a coat on an arm passing behind a chair can literally devastate the hair-dressing of a lady occupying it.
"If you are obliged to cross in front of some one who gets up to let you pass, say “Thank you,” or “Thank you very much” or “I am very sorry.” Do not say “Pardon me!” or “Beg pardon!” Though you can say “I beg your pardon.” That, however, would be more properly the expression to use if you brushed your coat over their heads, or spilled water over them, or did something to them for which you should actually beg their pardon. But “Beg pardon,” which is an abbreviation, is one of the phrases never said in best society."

However, Lambchop's "angle yourself" seems very appropriate.

Susan
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Christian, is your avatar your suggestion for how to approach this situation? :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Remember, the key to upsmanship is to always put others off balance. You must convince the seated persons that they are somehow in the wrong for being in your way. If that isn't going to work, make them feel guilty for being there. If done properly, they'll apologize to you.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

At the movies here people will kind of mash their way through a row to get to their seat and the seated will make no more than a slight knee-pull to make room. No apology or verbal communication is to be had. Brutal, yet effective.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I never thought about this. It's my experience that people really don't care. I mean, all except the first couple of people at the end of the row, just about everybody has to get up or go past them, and I never hear people say 'Pardon," or worry about which way they are facing. It doesn't bother me...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:I never thought about this. It's my experience that people really don't care. I mean, all except the first couple of people at the end of the row, just about everybody has to get up or go past them, and I never hear people say 'Pardon," or worry about which way they are facing. It doesn't bother me...
All the better for you. Me, I tend to have a sense of unease when confronted with a total stranger's big butt in my face, howbeit temporarily.
Lambchop wrote:The entering party should angle themselves so that neither heinie nor anti-heinie are directly in the face of the seated parties...
Somewhat like imitating a pair of scissors, as it were.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I never thought about this. It's my experience that people really don't care. I mean, all except the first couple of people at the end of the row, just about everybody has to get up or go past them, and I never hear people say 'Pardon," or worry about which way they are facing. It doesn't bother me...
All the better for you. Me, I tend to have a sense of unease when confronted with a total stranger's big butt in my face, howbeit temporarily.
Thank goodness someone pointed this outt.
Nano wrote:
Lambchop wrote:The entering party should angle themselves so that neither heinie nor anti-heinie are directly in the face of the seated parties...
Somewhat like imitating a pair of scissors, as it were.
Precisely.

You know, Nano, we think so much alike. We could have gotten along so well.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:You know, Nano, we think so much alike. We could have gotten along so well.
I know. It's my love of dishes featuring ovine body parts that gets in the way. *sigh*
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician