Best Low D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HeronMark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best Low D?

Post by HeronMark »

I am beginning to scan the market for a new low D. I am very new to whistleing, so i dont know much about makers, etc. I like the look and feel of wood, but I am not stuck on it. Sugestions, opinions, etc are welcome. I would prefer something that isnt too loud, and I like a rich "dark" sound. Any sugestions would be very helpful. Thanks
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

The Songbird Low D by Kerry Whistles has one of the most haunting sounds I have heard, distinctly different from the bright pureness of the Kerry Pro or Overton.
To me it seems slower to respond to finger movement than most of my other low Ds and I have yet to master it for reels.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

You haven't mentioned a price range, so if that's not an issue, Copeland would be the first to come to mind. There's also Howard, Burke Viper...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If you're partial to wood, check out Walt Sweet's Resonance D, reviewed and commented on here :

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=29952

I have one of these as well as a Kerry Pro and like both of them a lot. They're very different beasties, each with it's charms.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I second Paul's reccomendation for a Sweet. A Bleazey is another good option for you.
greg

low d

Post by greg »

check out the hoover i have the low g cpvc and couldnt be happier with it
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

Get a Flute. Sorry, couldn't help it.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

In my opinion hands-down the best Low D is the Chieftain Gold Low D. It produces a deep rich haunting tone. Its now the only Low D and a matter of fact the only low whistle I now own.

I have gone to the "dark-side"......Uilleann Pipes...... :D
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

You may be able to find an Overton Low D somewhere near you, since Overtons are made by Colin Goldie in "Germany right at the border to the Netherlands and Belgium". From their website. I'm not sure of the town, but if it is at all possible you can make it over to see him and Brigitte, I'm sure it would be well worth your while.

If not, you can email them and ask if there are any retail outlets near you that might have some in stock.

Email: goldie at Overton dot de

Overtons are "the yardstick" by which other whistles are measured, since they were the first Low whistle makers (Bernard Overton actually, in the UK). Who, is still active in making whistles, and is who made mine. Bernard supplies some retailers that may have one of his in stock too.

Colin generally makes his to order, with a wait list, but if you contact him, he can tell you what might be available.

If you're going to do some more Low whistling, you owe it to own at least one Overton, and I will add, I will not say they are the "best", because that whistle doesn't exist, but one of the top contenders, and have been for the longest period of time.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Due to this question, I pulled out my low Ds tonight - I rarely play them. I played two airs and a jig and reel on each. The airs came easily, the faster tunes with difficulty and after these tunes found my hands tiring.
Some quick subjective notes.

Copeland - Takes more air than the others. Projects well but not any moreso than a couple of others. Once I concentrate on the placement of my R3 finger on that tiny D tone hole, I have less trouble.

Burke Viper - Wide bore - feels "fat" in the hands, yet really easy to play and does not take much air. Nice tone in both octaves and maybe a bit better balanced than the Copeland.

O'Riordan Traveler - I surprised myself with this one, being able to get cooking pretty well on a reel. Smallish tone holes make coverage easy. Although I like other Travelers more, I generally enjoy higher keys more (down to G) and find that the more I play this one, the more "responsive" it feels.

O'Briain tuneable - nice dark low end, high end not as good for me. I can't get beyond airs with this one due to the large tone holes making coverage a problem.

Kerry - This is not the Pro model. It is less expensive than the others and is relatively tinny in tone.

I'm avoiding talking about "responsiveness" because any lack of that is probably due more to me than these whistles - reach, hole coverage, tired hands, air requirements, and plain old lack of practice on these low whistles.

Don't know if any of this helps.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

O v e r t o n
:D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Greenspyderweb:
Overtons are "the yardstick" by which other whistles are measured, since they were the first Low whistle makers (Bernard Overton actually, in the UK).
I know many that have had Overtons and sold then shortly after because of their tone and air requirements so I don't think that it can be said that they are the "yardstick" for which others are measured.

Remember Henry Ford was the first to mass produce the automobole and then later was surpased in quality by both German and Japanese manufactures. Just because you were the first doesn't necessarily mean you are the best.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

Right on. That was exactly what i needed. Thank you all. The reveiw of Walt Sweet's Resonance D is what got this started. I just wanted to know what else was out there. Bleazey looks good as well, cant buy them both though :(
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Oh, there is one more to consider. Although I've never played a Reyburn low D, there are those that swear by them.

Philo
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

PhilO wrote:Oh, there is one more to consider. Although I've never played a Reyburn low D, there are those that swear by them.

Philo
If you want a warm "flutely" tone get a Copeland. If you want the ultimate in rich complexity without being raspy or wheezy get a Reyburn, no contest.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School