Bass regulator

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

What's your favourite style of bass regulator

Straight bar
54%
Bent-back bar
37%
Other type (specify)
9%

Total votes: 35

PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Bass regulator

Post by PJ »

In the hope of one day having a full set, I'm trying to think of how I'd like my bass regulator bar (straight or u-shaped/bent-back) and would welcome suggestions and opinions regarding which style to go for.
PJ
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I currently have straight bars on my sets. I have never tried the U-shaped ones, so I don't know if they have any drawbacks. The biggest drawback with the straight ones is that they add nearly a foot to the length of your set, meaning you either get an enormous case, or you have to break your set down every time you need to travel. My sets do not like to break down easily.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hasn't this poll been done already? Or was that over on the other forum? I can't keep track anymore... my mind has split for Bermuda I think. :boggle:
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

In the end, only your opinion matters since it's your money. Try all 3 configurations to see which you like best. I like having a bass reg and the straight bar helps me keep things in playing position better, but others will swear up and down that the bent bass reg or no bass reg at all works just fine for them, which I don't doubt or question in the least.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Hasn't this poll been done already? Or was that over on the other forum? I can't keep track anymore... my mind has split for Bermuda I think. :boggle:
OH NO. HE'S GOING TO LOCK THE THREAD!!! :lol: :lol:

Pat - I agree that in the end it's my decision, but I'd be curious to find out why people choose one or the other. Some pipe makers offer only one style, so if you want their pipes you have to take the style of bass reg that they make. However, if a maker offers a choice, what are the guiding factors? Bent-back bars are more compact, and as djm suggests might avoid having to disassemble one's set. What's the price of that - comfort? maintenance? weight? resonance? I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

BTW, if there's another option apart from straight or bent-back I'd love to hear about it.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

PJ wrote:BTW, if there's another option apart from straight or bent-back I'd love to hear about it.
Get an accordian. :wink: Cheaper still, can you hum real loud? :D

I don't think there is any advantage to the weight between straight and U-shaped. There are several previous threads that indicate the max size case you can use for air travel, and none of those sizes would preclude breaking your set down to some extent. Nonethless, it would be easier if you just had to remove the bottom of your drones and regs for a flight case than having to take the top of the bass reg off and then have to store the reed separately, too.

djm
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

PJ wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Hasn't this poll been done already? Or was that over on the other forum? I can't keep track anymore... my mind has split for Bermuda I think. :boggle:
OH NO. HE'S GOING TO LOCK THE THREAD!!! :lol: :lol:

Pat - I agree that in the end it's my decision, but I'd be curious to find out why people choose one or the other. Some pipe makers offer only one style, so if you want their pipes you have to take the style of bass reg that they make. However, if a maker offers a choice, what are the guiding factors? Bent-back bars are more compact, and as djm suggests might avoid having to disassemble one's set. What's the price of that - comfort? maintenance? weight? resonance? I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

BTW, if there's another option apart from straight or bent-back I'd love to hear about it.
I have a Gallgher set and a BC Childress set. The first has a wrap around bass reg the send a straight one. I didn't choose the wrap around - that's how Seth delivers it but he may make a straight one on request.

First - and obviously the wrap around is hugely more convenient when travelling

Second - sound. The two sets are so different I have no idea if it makes a difference. I would would guess not much.

Third - comfort / control. It took some getting used to not being able to control the position of the pipes, particularly when playing the regs. I have gotten used to it now, so it's no big deal.

Fourth - on Seth's pipes you can tune the bass reg by moving the wrap around slide. That's a useful feature.

If I had to choose, I'd stick with the wrap around.
Simon
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I like it straight...... stop laughting! :x

Patrick.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I vote for the pretzel. Pass the beer.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Bass regulator

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Well, the big advantage of a staight bar is when a left handed fiddler sits on your left side in a crowdy session you could stick a bayonet onto it to protect your eye :oops:
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I voted for Straight bar as I had this type of bass reg when I had my C Rogge set and would prefer it as it looks more traditional than the other type.

One time playing in session Moville North Donegal I got up from the chair in the pub and holding the C Rogge pipes I knocked my father’s Pint of Guinness over with the Straight bass bar he was not happy.

After that I did not attach the Straight bass bar/reg from the stock pluged the hole and just played as a 3/4 set in sessions.

So my Rogge D full set on order will have the Straight bass bar.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Straight, straight, feckin straight.
Only messin, Billy and Charley Taylor did, more or less, re-invent the Uilleann pipes. But previous to them every body was straight. I'm certainly not saying that there may be somthing up there. But a lot more people seem to be 'bent' nowadays.
Just sayin
t
PJ

Post by PJ »

Does anyone have any good photos of the wrap-around or bent-back regulator? I can only find one good image on Seth Gallagher's site, and a few partial snaps (of the bass reg) of Glands' Willie Rowsome C# on uilleann obsession.

I'd also like to know where the air-intake is on this type of bass regulator. Is it above or below the reed?
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

The air intake would come from the mainstock, so would be below the reed, same as a straight bass reg. There is a channeled piece that sits inside the bass reg tube where it passes by the mainstock which directs air pressure upward into the reed head. I'm pretty sure this part is the same whether the bass reg is straight or bent.

djm
PJ

Post by PJ »

But the bent reg-bar's I've seen have a section (the U section) which is much thinner than the rest of the bar. Would there be enough room for the channel?

You can see a Gallagher set here.
PJ