Magic Beans

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by perrins57 »

Cranberry wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:Cruelty to vegetables! :swear:
Don't mention that word. I'm hungry.
Its funny, when I'm hungry, people can mention vegetables all they like, I want pizza!
amar wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Wanderer wrote:It purported to have a magic bean in it.
Ah, beans the magical fruit!
let's have beans for every meal!
and then retire to a safe distance! :o
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've been concerned about what I'm going to do with this plant now that the message has sprouted. I really wish the company had listed the kind of plant used on the packaging, and maybe some uses for it after the message had been read and the novelty wore off. I didn't want to just let witither and die.

After doing a little digging, I've discovered that this is a scarlet runner bean plant. It will grow between 8 and 12 feet high, and produce bright red flowers. Some people grow this plant for the flowers alone, however it will produce huge bean pods filled with edible beans--this plant is known in some quarters as the Oregon lima bean. The beans can be eaten fresh or dried, and some native tribes eat the tuberous roots. They are an annual plant, and can produce between 50 and 60 pods per plant, so maybe it'll provide a nice side dish of roots and beans for the family in 3 months or so.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Are you going to decorate it for Christmas? :wink:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wanderer wrote:I've been concerned about what I'm going to do with this plant now that the message has sprouted. I really wish the company had listed the kind of plant used on the packaging, and maybe some uses for it after the message had been read and the novelty wore off. I didn't want to just let witither and die.

After doing a little digging, I've discovered that this is a scarlet runner bean plant. It will grow between 8 and 12 feet high, and produce bright red flowers. Some people grow this plant for the flowers alone, however it will produce huge bean pods filled with edible beans--this plant is known in some quarters as the Oregon lima bean. The beans can be eaten fresh or dried, and some native tribes eat the tuberous roots. They are an annual plant, and can produce between 50 and 60 pods per plant, so maybe it'll provide a nice side dish of roots and beans for the family in 3 months or so.
You can eat it right now--roots (washed off), leaves, and all. I've done it many times. Whole baby plants are delicious.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cranberry wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I've been concerned about what I'm going to do with this plant now that the message has sprouted. I really wish the company had listed the kind of plant used on the packaging, and maybe some uses for it after the message had been read and the novelty wore off. I didn't want to just let witither and die.

You can eat it right now--roots (washed off), leaves, and all. I've done it many times. Whole baby plants are delicious.
:o :o :o
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Not enough of it now for a meal...gotta fatten it up a bit.

:P
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wanderer wrote:Not enough of it now for a meal...gotta fatten it up a bit.

Put the whole thing on a sandwich, instead of (or in addition to) lettuce. It will taste pretty.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cranberry wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Not enough of it now for a meal...gotta fatten it up a bit.

Put the whole thing on a sandwich, instead of (or in addition to) lettuce. It will taste pretty.
Well, then it'd only be a meal for one. ;) From what I've read, though, runner beans are in that unique class of plants where the entire plant is considered edible..the flower, the root, the leaves, and the bean, and even the bean pod (if picked when immature before it becomes fibrous). It appears to be a fast grower, and I really won't have to wait that long before it's big enough to share.

That said, legumes really should be cooked..many of them (if not all) contain digestive-inhibiting toxins destroyed by cooking.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wanderer wrote:That said, legumes really should be cooked..many of them (if not all) contain digestive-inhibiting toxins destroyed by cooking.
Wasn't something like that the main ingredient in one of those diet aids that sort of disappeared from the market about ten or fifteen years back?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

djm wrote:I wish I could remember the name of them so I could post a link, but there used to be these clear plastic molds made especially for vegetables that you would tie over a growing squash, tomato, pepper, etc. The vegetable would eventually grow into the shape of the mold, which would be of a strange face or animal. The results looked pretty funny, and would have been great to serve up to company.

djm
Here you go: http://www.vegiforms.com/default.asp?Mode=home (man, I love the Internet!)

Charlene
Jack

Post by Jack »

Charlene wrote:
djm wrote:I wish I could remember the name of them so I could post a link, but there used to be these clear plastic molds made especially for vegetables that you would tie over a growing squash, tomato, pepper, etc. The vegetable would eventually grow into the shape of the mold, which would be of a strange face or animal. The results looked pretty funny, and would have been great to serve up to company.

djm
Here you go: http://www.vegiforms.com/default.asp?Mode=home (man, I love the Internet!)

That is so awesome. :o Next spring I will have to find the space and grow me something just to do that.