I did the unforgivable...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I did the unforgivable...

Post by Congratulations »

I was ordering some strings for my mandolin the other day, and I might have accidentally thrown a Yamaha 300B series soprano r*c*r*d*r in the shopping cart... :oops:

After playing it a bit, I've decided that it's useful, but not very much fun. It will probably take me a while to really develop a facility.

On the other hand, mandolin is coming along nicely... :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Holy Smokes !! Aren't you worried about the wrath of the Celtic Whistle Gods descending upon you ??? I sure would be !! :lol:

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
MacNeil

Post by MacNeil »

More that one should fear the wrath of the r******r gods. While the Yamaha is the most commonly sold inexpensive r******r, it simply can't compare with Zen-On's Stansby Jr. soprano or Bressan alto in terms of quality or "bang for the buck." Why, it would be like comparing a Meg to a Mellow Dog!
Raven Falls Photography
www.ravenfallsphotography.com
Crevan

Re: I did the unforgivable...

Post by Crevan »

Congratulations wrote:After playing it a bit, I've decided that it's useful, but not very much fun.
:lol:

Reminds me of the electric shaver comparison.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

MacNeil wrote:More that one should fear the wrath of the r******r gods. While the Yamaha is the most commonly sold inexpensive r******r, it simply can't compare with Zen-On's Stansby Jr. soprano or Bressan alto in terms of quality or "bang for the buck." Why, it would be like comparing a Meg to a Mellow Dog!
I agree 110% on Yamaha vs Zen-On. The Zen-On plastic recorders I've tried have been incredibly good.

By the way, to really appreciate the unique abilities of the recorder, trying playing something in E-flat or even A-flat major. On recorder it's quite simple once you have the fingerings down and have played scales a bit. The same instrument can play in C major, D major, A major, etc... That's really pretty cool for an instrument with no keys!

--James
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Listen to some good Renaissance recorder fantasias and then tell us the instrument isn't fun.
:swear:

:D
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
mikey_r

Post by mikey_r »

Congratulations wrote:I was ordering some strings for my mandolin the other day, and I might have accidentally thrown a Yamaha 300B series soprano r*c*r*d*r in the shopping cart... :oops:

After playing it a bit, I've decided that it's useful, but not very much fun. It will probably take me a while to really develop a facility.

I can't take credit for this insight (It was PhilO who pointed it out, if I'm not mistaken), but a cheap soprano recorder easily turns into a D+ whistle. If you're not too fussy about intonation and the recorder is baroque-fingered, you can pretty much ignore the right pinky, keep the thumb hole covered and play it like a whistle. But you get that C at the bottom when you need it. I've noticed that it's harder to get the second octave by simply overblowing on a wooden recorder, but it's really easy on my plastic yamaha soprano (not the 300 series, which are actually pretty good, I think - I have a tenor, and it's really nice). If you are fussy about the intonation and don't mind ruining the recorder, you can enlarge the R1 hole if you like. I didn't bother. All those years of playing rock and blues made me a lot less particular :D
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

mikey_r wrote:
Congratulations wrote:I was ordering some strings for my mandolin the other day, and I might have accidentally thrown a Yamaha 300B series soprano r*c*r*d*r in the shopping cart... :oops:

I can't take credit for this insight (It was PhilO who pointed it out, if I'm not mistaken), but a cheap soprano recorder easily turns into a D+ whistle. If you're not too fussy about intonation and the recorder is baroque-fingered, you can pretty much ignore the right pinky, keep the thumb hole covered and play it like a whistle. But you get that C at the bottom when you need it. I've noticed that it's harder to get the second octave by simply overblowing on a wooden recorder, but it's really easy on my plastic yamaha soprano (not the 300 series, which are actually pretty good, I think - I have a tenor, and it's really nice). If you are fussy about the intonation and don't mind ruining the recorder, you can enlarge the R1 hole if you like. I didn't bother. All those years of playing rock and blues made me a lot less particular :D
Actually, I have noticed that the D scale is exceptionally easy on the recorder. I have not been playing irish tunes on it, though, for fear of inciting the wrath of powers beyong my comprehension. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
mikey_r

Post by mikey_r »

Congratulations wrote: Actually, I have noticed that the D scale is exceptionally easy on the recorder. I have not been playing irish tunes on it, though, for fear of inciting the wrath of powers beyong my comprehension. :)
Ah, maybe that's my problem! I've been wondering what's been causing me to lose my visual acuity and grow hair on my palms lately... :lol:
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

peeplj wrote:
MacNeil wrote:More that one should fear the wrath of the r******r gods. While the Yamaha is the most commonly sold inexpensive r******r, it simply can't compare with Zen-On's Stansby Jr. soprano or Bressan alto in terms of quality or "bang for the buck." Why, it would be like comparing a Meg to a Mellow Dog!
I agree 110% on Yamaha vs Zen-On. The Zen-On plastic recorders I've tried have been incredibly good.

By the way, to really appreciate the unique abilities of the recorder, trying playing something in E-flat or even A-flat major. On recorder it's quite simple once you have the fingerings down and have played scales a bit. The same instrument can play in C major, D major, A major, etc... That's really pretty cool for an instrument with no keys!

--James
Hmmmm... It was our experience with the Zen-On that drove us to the whistle. We were quite underwhelmed by them.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

:o Eeeeek!!!!!!!!!
(see me backing away from the group to avoid the lightning when it strikes)
Mummy! They're using bad words in here! :lol:

Of course, the only reason I avoid r*******s like the plague is that I know I haven't the 'stuff' to figure out how to play one right now.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I forgive you.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
John S

Post by John S »

I use a tweaked JHS CL200
http://www.jhs.co.uk/jhseducation.html
The tweaking consisted of buying 3 (one of each colour), swapping heads and bodies around and tuning 3 holes with wax.
I play it at sessions and it's the best one I've found for the price £4.99

John S
[/img]
LiamMacGabhainn

Post by LiamMacGabhainn »

Of course, the only reason I avoid r*******s like the plague is that I know I haven't the 'stuff' to figure out how to play one right now.
Actually, as a schooled musician, I cut my eye teeth on a r******r (almost literally) and am just now finding out that two of the eight holes are entirely not needed! My first impression of the whistle was the lack of those holes. It took me only half an hour to have figured out the fingering on the low octave, but I'm not sure I've found the right combination for the 2nd one just yet.

Now, when I play the r******r, I've got two "extra" holes that I no longer know what to do with. But I regress...

Slán agus beannacht
Liam Mac Gabhann
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

LiamMacGabhainn wrote: It took me only half an hour to have figured out the fingering on the low octave, but I'm not sure I've found the right combination for the 2nd one just yet.
Oh, hon, let me save you some time . . . it's the same as the first. Just lift up one finger after the other. Presto! :)

It only has six holes, after all . . . but I feel a strange sense of unease . . .