Liam O'Flynn

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Pat Cannady wrote:Arty did a fantastic job of backing, too; I wish more accompanists tried to emulate him.
One of the biggest problems trying to copy Arty McGlynn is that he tunes his guitar in a unique way. TTBOMK no other professional guitarist uses the same tuning.

On the subject of LO'F, he's a great piper but two things bother me: (1) I've never heard him play a bum note (drop an octave or something similar) and (2) I've never seen a photo of him smiling - he always looks very serious. :wink:
PJ
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

PJ wrote:On the subject of LO'F, he's a great piper but two things bother me: (1) I've never heard him play a bum note (drop an octave or something similar) and (2) I've never seen a photo of him smiling - he always looks very serious. :wink:
There's but one, or two in the piping on the first Planxty album. No more than a momentary dropped octave. If I could play with only ten times the mistakes he makes, I'd have a hard time keeping the ego down (at least until She Who Must Be Obeyed set me back in place :P ).

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

I attended a concert with the esteemed Mr. O'Flynn and the Piper's Call band in Flagstaff, Arizona (of all places) several years ago. The altitude and lack of humidity were playing hell with his pipes, but he simply played around the notes that were giving him trouble. It was an awesome display of musciality and chanter control. The non-pipers in the audience would never have guessed that his pipes were misbehaving.

Mr. O'Flynn was kind enough to meet with our small SCUPC contingent after the concert--a true gentleman, and yes, he did smile.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
djm

Post by djm »

There's a few bum notes on the Eagle Tavern recording (made me feel much better), but he notes how hot and humid it is, and that he will probably melt away. There is a concert recording on RTÉ at Liberty Hall in Dublin - I think its was on The Late Session July 2004. Typical RTÉ, the end is clipped off. There's one of him playing at the Bantry House on The Late Session Nov 2004. I think this is the one that is on Pat D'Arcy's site at:
http://www.uilleannobsession.com/links_ ... atesession

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

PJ wrote:
Pat Cannady wrote:Arty did a fantastic job of backing, too; I wish more accompanists tried to emulate him.
One of the biggest problems trying to copy Arty McGlynn is that he tunes his guitar in a unique way. TTBOMK no other professional guitarist uses the same tuning.
I suppose I must clarify that. I don't care how he gets the right chord voicings out at the right time and with the right touch, only that he makes it a priority. I see too many other backers who don't and I wonder why they think it's appropriate.

back to topic. Liam rocks. He ROCKS! Heh heh heh hehe hehehhehe eh heheheh heh heh heheheheheheheh heh heh heh heheh heheheheh heh hehh heh heheh
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Last edited by ausdag on Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Well, you're entitled to like that if you want to David, no one's saying you can't.

I'm sure Liam is wayyyy past caring about what any of us think, which is fine. You need that kind of a thick skin to make a living at music.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Last edited by ausdag on Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

ausdag wrote:Poor ol' Liam O'Flynn gets continues to get a bad wrap with his orchestral work
I seems to me any piper who manages to make his living from music seems to come in for some stick. I suppose there are only so many solo piping albums you can sell and the die-hard piping fans is a limited audience. At some point, you have to mix it up with some other style if you want to get new listeners - which is essential if music is your livelihood.
PJ
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

My difficulty is that on quite a number of CD's I have gotten---different, excellent pipers----I actually feel I cannot hear the pipes very well because the backup is so loud and distracting. The backup seems to be guitar, bouzouki (sp), that's about all I can think of right now. And it is chords being whanged away at with great vigor. My feeling is not one of anger at the piper---s/he has the right to pursue whatever is interesting---but it is a feeling of disappointment that I cannot hear clearly something I was looking forward to. I do wonder why the backup has to be so loud. I will not criticize the piper for his decision, but I will not criticize myself for my reaction either.

I have no difficulty with fiddle and pipes together, harp and pipes, I've heard some great combinations. So I don't think I am tolerant only of solo playing.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Pat Cannady wrote:You should hear him without the orchestra :wink: Many pipers blame him in large part for why they still bother to strap on the evil octopus. Seeing him on tour with Arty McGlynn back in 1996 or 1997 has to be one of the best musical experiences of my entire life. Arty did a fantastic job of backing, too; I wish more accompanists tried to emulate him.

Get all of the Planxty CDs, some are better than others but all of them have at least some tasty piping on them. And see if you can get any private recordings of him at tionols. He still has to be one of the best even now, with more pipers playing at a high level than at almost any other time in the instrument's history.
It was mind boggling listening to him, almost intimidating, like I'm afraid I would never be able to play like that. He's scary-good.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I bet if they stuck troy donockley's mic on his reed his sound wouldn't be lost in a sea of orchestration. I was kind of wondering what uilleann pipes would sound like in an orchestra. Sounds Dreamy.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

myrddinemrys wrote:I bet if they stuck troy donockley's mic on his reed his sound wouldn't be lost in a sea of orchestration.
The reviewer is obliquely referring to the theme of the work - the canvas ship lost in the sea on the way to Newfoundland. In the work, the pipes represent the ship.

I saw the Brendan Voyage performed live in Dublin back in 1984. Due to a scheduling conflict, Breandan Breathnach could not attend (he had arranged for our tickets through his Arts Officer connections). Breandan had heard it live on the BBC previously and thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably my main concert highlight!

I met Liam's brother backstage (the one who shared digs with Liam and Seamus Ennis! in Dublin back in the 1970s). I asked him what was Liam like back then and he replied '(Liam) playing the pipes at home for 4-5 hours a day was nothing to him'.

I've heard Liam play solo concerts in Chicago, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Toronto, and Delaware. It's astonishing as there are few solo, instrumental performers who can pull off a full concert tour (and with no singing). I was also luckt to hear the Poet and the Piper performed in Washington at the Kennedy Center in 2001.

Aside from being the great player and performer that he is, he has been extremely accessible to pipers having given tons of workshops, etc over the years. He has always allowed his pipes to be measured, for instance.

He has always been a great player, too, listening to old tapes from the 1970s. He is our best, single connection to three great players: Seamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, and Leo Rowsome.
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Pat Cannady wrote:You should hear him without the orchestra :wink: Many pipers blame him in large part for why they still bother to strap on the evil octopus. Seeing him on tour with Arty McGlynn back in 1996 or 1997 has to be one of the best musical experiences of my entire life. Arty did a fantastic job of backing, too; I wish more accompanists tried to emulate him.

Get all of the Planxty CDs, some are better than others but all of them have at least some tasty piping on them. And see if you can get any private recordings of him at tionols. He still has to be one of the best even now, with more pipers playing at a high level than at almost any other time in the instrument's history.
I agree 110% with Pat. I first heard Liam at one of the early Planxty gigs in 1970 and he blew me away - much more than the Chieftains. I went to that concert because I had heard about him, but it was clear then and in subsequent early Planxty gigs that his relly big impact was on people who mainly wanted to hear the "Three drunken maidens" kind of stuff, but who were stopped in their tracks by his solo pieces. At the end of each, you could almost hear a collective sharp intake of breath followed by delirious applause.

I suspect that it was he, who played uncompromisingly traditional music but with the perfectionism of a classical musician and the openness of mind to blend his music with various accompaniments, who did most to foster an interest in the pipes among young urban people who had no traditional roots. Leo Rowsome and subesquently NPU were the main sources of supply in terms of piping tuition, but it was Liam's influence on the demand side that did most to bring about the rebirth of the pipes in the last third of the 20th century.

Or, to put it in simpler terms, it was he who made uilleann pipes cool.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Cheers to Liam! and to any other piper who inspires and motivates slackers like me