Musical Malapropisms..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Musical Malapropisms..

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm sort of hijacking the Malapropism thread (which I love) because musical malapropisms have their own unique name: Mondegreens. There are tons of websites out there devoted to mondegreens with hilarious examples (eg Jimi Hendrix's "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy"). For starters:

http://www.uh.edu/~mbarber/mondegreens.html

As a kid, when I heard the carol "We Three Kings", I always wondered where Orientaar was...

Go to it!!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

there was a full moon out this morning when we (Noah and I) left for school / work. He started singing the infamous:

"There's a bathroom on the right". :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

missy wrote:"There's a bathroom on the right". :D
Of course, that's something you'd want to know when there are
hurricanes ablowing and you know the end is coming soon.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I heard an interview awhile back with some famous rock star who slurred the lyrics to a famous song and everybody thought it was intentional and cool. He said they were recording late at night and he had dozed off and snapped awake (or someone nudged him) when his line came up and he just got it out.

And there's a phrase in Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence that I can't make head nor tail of. I choose to leave it a mystery.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

From Michael Jackson's Billie Jean: 'The chair is not my son'.
emmline

Post by emmline »

TonyHiggins wrote:And there's a phrase in Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence that I can't make head nor tail of. I choose to leave it a mystery.
Tony
Which one? Well, at least what does it come before or after?

Personally, I used to sing wrong lyrics to Jellicle Cats. What I thought was "have you been in the love nest of heaven and hell?" is really "have you been an alumnus of heaven or hell?"
emmline

Post by emmline »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:From Michael Jackson's Billie Jean: 'The chair is not my son'.
I thought it was "the chad is not my son." Which was a little premature since Charlie's Angels (the flick) had not come out yet.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Re: Musical Malapropisms..

Post by Unseen122 »

brewerpaul wrote:(eg Jimi Hendrix's "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy").
I always like to say "Scuse me while I eat some pie." I can't think of any right now but I have probably said millions.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Musical Malapropisms..

Post by chas »

brewerpaul wrote:(eg Jimi Hendrix's "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy").
When I was a wee lad, I thought Herb Alpert was singing "You see the sky / The sky's in love with you".
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

When I first heard "Sixteen Tons" I thought the chorus was "St. Peter don't you call me cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company stove."

Well, gee, I must have been 5 or 6 at the time, and I had never heard of a company store. But I did know there were stoves that burned coal, and I thought this coal mine had a huge stove that used 16 tons of coal every day.

My husband just mentioned that in the song "Teddy Bear's Picnic" he thought it said "the monkeys came in de skies" and he always had this mental pictured of monkeys swinging down from the trees or de skies and crashing the picnic.

Edited to add that my husband wants to make sure everyone understands he was in kindergarten at the time.
Charlene
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I've mentioned this one before but it bears repetition. I once heard a live recording by the writer of 'Daydream Believer' in which he sang the following chorus:

Wake up Sleepy Jean,
Oh what could it mean,
For a daydream deceiver,
And an old closet queen
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Well, in her younger days my wife loved to sing along to Paul McCartney's "Ma Looking Tired". She was mildly surprised hearing the real title ... :lol:

And don't you ever let her know, I posted this here!

Claus
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: Claus, that one took me a while to figure out. Excellent! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I have an old LP of a band called Barde. They sing Fanny Power in Irish (? I'm not really sure about the language) Anyway, I had it on one time when a friend was here and he said "That's the deer f*****g song." Sure enough, if you listen closely there's a part where they sing deer f*****g.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Charlene wrote:When I first heard "Sixteen Tons" I thought the chorus was "St. Peter don't you call me cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company stove."
I used to think the same thing. Amazing.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm