Bowed Psaltery.

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

anniemcu wrote:I know the guy that makes them - this is a good little instrument, great sounding and made well.
I'm sure you're absolutely right about that, though I've already ordered one by a different maker. I'll probably not comment on it till after I've gotten it.

I'd never seen one of these, before: it's a bass bowed psaltery:

I was writing an article for Wikipedia on the subject of bowed psalteries when I decided I needed to replace my old splintered one, hence this thread.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

ohhh- Walden, that bass looks interesting. You know me and my bass dulcimers, that may be something I need to look into!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Walden wrote:
anniemcu wrote:I know the guy that makes them - this is a good little instrument, great sounding and made well.
I'm sure you're absolutely right about that, though I've already ordered one by a different maker. I'll probably not comment on it till after I've gotten it.

I'd never seen one of these, before: it's a bass bowed psaltery:

I was writing an article for Wikipedia on the subject of bowed psalteries when I decided I needed to replace my old splintered one, hence this thread.
Oh my ... a Bass Psaltery ... ooooh ... I want one~... (whine)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

That's a neat looking Psaltery. I went to an Autoharp workshop a few months ago and the woman teaching the workshop was Karla Armstrong. After the workshop, she gave a concert and she has a Huge!!! Bowed Psaltery that has thee most awesome sound I have ever heard. It is made in California http://omegastrings.com/bp.htm "Byll" has one of the smaller ones. They are probably the very best Bowed Psaltery on the market, but, they cost a mint too!

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Here's a bass bowed psaltery (in another design) being played:

I'd like to clarify that I'm not getting a bass psaltery, myself... I was barely able to afford a small one.
Reasonable person
Walden
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Walden, that's a neat picture! I have never seen anyone play one from behind before! The one that is laying face up, would be the same as the people that play one on their lap, But I always thought that the larger ones were played facing the front of the Psaltery.

When Karla played hers, it was like watching her bows dancing because she alternated each note lifting the bow over the other one. I have been playing using 2 bows, but I play harmony notes simultaneously and my bows are moving in towards each other an then out and away from each other.

Cheers,
Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

---
Last edited by Walden on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I got to try Chattie Kathy's bowed psaltry. It was fun but I sounded like Missy's description.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

Flyingcursor wrote:I got to try Chattie Kathy's bowed psaltry. It was fun but I sounded like Missy's description.
hmmm - remind me to stay away from you if you have a triangle shaped instrument in your hands!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Hi Walden, there is a guy that comes to Winfield named Greg Schneeman that makes psalteries i think, or at least teaches and has videos and stuff. If I can find an email for him I can tell him you need an inexpensive one.

Also as to what they sound like, I call them um, the screaming arrowhead lol.

Nancyf
PsalteryPsue

Bowed Psaltery

Post by PsalteryPsue »

Chck out http://www.ringingstrings.com/ - you will find sound clips of the Bowed Psaltery being played by the man who won the Contest at the Down Home Psaltery Festival this summer.
Ptarmigan

Post by Ptarmigan »

'Congratulations',

You can also hear the Bowed Psaltery being played with other instruments, on a couple of tracks at MySpace - "Mysts of Loughareema" & "Argan Mor":

http://www.myspace.com/ulstermandragora
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Walden wrote:.....

(OT post)

Why do women with long hair playing a harp
always make me sigh with pleasant wistfulness?

Am I a pre-Raphaelite anachronistically sexist twit?
I would really like to pigeon hole my identity one day .......
:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
ceadach
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

Am I a pre-Raphaelite anachronistically sexist twit?
I would really like to pigeon hole my identity one day .......
Tala, I sincerely doubt you're a twit. You're not alone here, if we can believe history this has been a trigger for male attraction for ages. See the truly fanatical following of Loreena McKennitt for example.

Possibly it's neurological overdose, beautiful music, talented attractive women??? I play harp and in my researches I keep coming across stuff like, " my heart aches for the long haired maiden with the harp" etc. especially in continental Europe. Louis the 16th was reported enchanted with young Antoinette in no samll part due to her highly polished harping. If he only knew what would become of it...

Interestingly, you don't find these same romantic connotations in the old Irish/Scots/Welsh histories, except in stories of Mermaids luring (and then sometimes eating) unsuspecting vicitms of either gender, with their harping. Maybe it was the brass strings??? Gaelic folklore was not for the weak of heart.

For them the harp had a decidedly professional association, as the harpers where in league with the poets, who were held with a combination of respect and awesome fear. Where in mainland Europe the harp was viewed as angelic instrument, the Gaels believed the harp fully capable of otherworldly powers.
"Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever has not kindness has not faith."
Muhammad

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."
T.S. Eliot