practicing rolls on the way to the session

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

practicing rolls on the way to the session

Post by Jennie »

I was really, really looking forward to getting some tunes this past weekend. My husband had finally talked me into a new car so I could do safer winter driving, and a cell phone. And I was all set to drive the 400 miles to the big city where I could play music, dance a contra dance, and buy some studded snow tires.

Picture some great music on the spiffy new CD player-- it was Kevin Crawford's solo album. Full moon over my shoulder. I was going slow and easy because of the snow. And then I was sideways, upside down, and eventually right side up again, down a steep embankment and leaning against a tree, with the music still playing. :cry: Never wait to get snow tires, even if it costs more to have them shipped in.

But I crawled out all by myself, nothing but bumps and scratches. My kids were back home, my hammered dulcimer too. No cracks in the flute or dents in the whistles. It was only barely below freezing, and in one of the few stretches of road that the cell phone works. The trooper got there in a less than two hours, and a friend met me at the police station to take me to his place for warmth and hot chocolate. :) I went to a mostly bluegrass session instead. Folks didn't seem to mind the occasional tangent we took into Irish tunes.

Everyone wear your seat belts! I'm grateful for air bags too. My next car will have them, too! :boggle:

Jennie,
who is alive and still looking forward to her next chance at a session
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Oh mercy! Those kinds of rolls you don't need! So glad you're OK!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

:o Oh my, Jennie! Glad you're alright. Always thought I would like to visit Alaska. Now I know to do so well before October ... if I plan to leave before Spring thaw.

Judy
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Good Grief!

No driving 400 miles to a session! Happily, everything turned out o.k. and you are none the worse for wear.....

I thought y'all flew everywhere there, though.

M
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Holy she-i-double-itsky. I'm glad you got out of it well. Amazing the CD player still played merrily on.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm glad you're okay too. Those roads can be so darn terrible! It worries me that there are stretches of the road where the cell phone doesn't work. But all is well, so get those snow tires and then you can go!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Thanks you guys. I just needed a little sympathy. Things are things and can be replaced. When there's a trauma, though, no matter how good the outcome, there's a time of parallel realities when the possibility of the worst possible outcome comes to mind at the same time you're carrying on with your gift of a life. So I'm still going to school every day, and taking care of my family, all the while thinking of my teacherless students and motherless children. It's a strange place to be.

Walking two miles to work is good for me. :)

Jennie
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Since you're OK I think we can start up with the Alaska jokes.

Walk? Why not take your dogsled? :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, always take your signed FlyingCursor picture with you. It won't keep you safe but you can use it to start a fire to keep warm.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
scheky

Post by scheky »

I don't know what brings more sympathy from me, the wreck or the 400 mile drive.

400 miles...I could drive to NYC and have some change left over.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Jenny, I am a relatively fearless woman, but ever since my few little "accidents" last year, I have been apprehensive about driving. I think it can stay with you a long time. So give yourself time, and treat yourself good.

M
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Glad you're okay, Jennie!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Guess if I'd known I'd be there for so long I could have worked on learning a new tune. Too cold for the fingers, but it might have settled my brain a little! If I'd been there in midwinter it could have been waaaay colder in that area. :o

I gave up my dogsled when I moved from the bush to a road town. Though, come to think of it, I had some pretty spectacular wrecks with that sled! Guess I'll stick with wheels. A colleague is going to loan me her bike for a few weeks.

Jennie
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Jennie wrote:I gave up my dogsled when I moved from the bush to a road town. Though, come to think of it, I had some pretty spectacular wrecks with that sled! Guess I'll stick with wheels. A colleague is going to loan me her bike for a few weeks.

Jennie
Jennie, I'll bet there aren't many people who can honestly make that statement.

How long does it TAKE to drive 400 miles in Alaska? Even here in California with decent weather and road conditions I'd figure on 6 to 7 hours for a trip like that. From what I've heard about Alaskan road conditions (even without accidents) I'd expect it'd take quite a bit longer. 8? 10? And you were casually driving that distance to a session. Yikes! :o
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Snow? Snow?

There is somewhere that has snow already? :-?

(Sorry to hear of your accident, Jennie! I'm glad you came out of it safely!)
Cotelette d'Agneau
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

DCrom wrote:
Jennie wrote:I gave up my dogsled when I moved from the bush to a road town. Though, come to think of it, I had some pretty spectacular wrecks with that sled! Guess I'll stick with wheels. A colleague is going to loan me her bike for a few weeks.

Jennie
Jennie, I'll bet there aren't many people who can honestly make that statement.

How long does it TAKE to drive 400 miles in Alaska? Even here in California with decent weather and road conditions I'd figure on 6 to 7 hours for a trip like that. From what I've heard about Alaskan road conditions (even without accidents) I'd expect it'd take quite a bit longer. 8? 10? And you were casually driving that distance to a session. Yikes! :o
Drive? I'm wondering how long it's going to take on the bike! :o :lol:

It's 409 miles from London to Glasgow, and six hours driving - that's one heck of a drive for a session!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing