Humbly submitted

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
carrie

Humbly submitted

Post by carrie »

POSTSTRUCTURAL MASTERY
  • A Thesis for people with (relatively) short attention spans
    submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements
    for admission to Frequent Posters, Level 1K,
    Chiff & Fipple Poststructural Pub
    By
    Carol Ann Skinner
    October 2005
Acknowledgements
I would like to dedicate this thesis to my lovely chumsin the C&F community (photo montage created by the Honorable Walden) and to my dog, Daisy, who has provided the kind of stimulating intellectual environment in which a work of this sort can thrive. I would also like to thank all of the faculty of Chiff & Fipple Poststructural Pub and especially my committee members, Walden, emmline, Wombat, jim stone, and susnfx, whose deep understanding of poststructuralism—and the brilliance and sensitivity with which they have passed along their understanding to me--have made what can only be called a life-changing, um, change in my life.

Abstract
Building on the classic framework for poststructuralism put forward by Harold K. Bush, Jr. at Michigan State University (and we all know how anti-poststructuralist a framework is, don’t we?) and the work of Martine Courant Rife, this thesis will demonstrate—or attempt to—that I have, through the careful observation and slavish imitation of the elders of the Frequent Poster Honor Society, succeeded sufficiently in mastering poststructural messageboarding that I am entitled to entry to the Frequent Posters, Level 1K, provisional, as is of course the custom, on the approval of the wider C&F community, each of whom can contact me separately for their “consideration” money and/or editing “favors,” as per agreement.

Thesis
Harold K. Bush, Jr. identifies defining characteristics of poststructuralism, including 1) The Primacy of Theory and 2) The Decentering of the Subject. For a third defining characteristic I turn to Martine Courant Rife: 3) Texts for the Sake of Texts. True, these scholars are both talking about the English classroom, but is a tinwhistle message board fundamentally different from a high school literature or college writing classroom? I think the answer is obvious. I shall address each characteristic and demonstrate my mastery of it.

1) The Primacy of Theory
In contemporary philosophy, it has become incumbent upon every critic to "theorize" every position and critical practice. In effect, "theory" has almost in and of itself become an independent field of study and research in the humanities, designating as it now does any account of whatever conditions determine all meaning and interpretation.—H. K. Bush

Fewer examples of the primacy of theory could be clearer than the one from which I drew my most direct inspiration. Here is Walden, on the publication of his paper-folding book.
Walden wrote:Thanks for the words of encouragement. I surely needed them.
Alan wrote:Best of luck and let's hope there is no conspiracy by librarians to suppress it! :wink:
My theory is, they suppress it because they feel that the paper is better used for late notices and the like than on folding. :)
With a model of that caliber, it was actually pretty easy to demonstrate my own mastery of the primacy of theory, as the following (mature) example, relating to sports victories, clearly shows. Note the subtle avoidance of the word theory itself.
cskinner wrote: My 12 yr-old son, a long-time White Sox fan in a sea of north suburban Cubs fans, is over-the-moon happy! We feel the victory is owing primarily to his wearing the same clothes he wore for their last two games. Why take a chance, is his thinking.
(2) The Decentering of the Subject
Poststructural critics have called into question the very existence of the human "subject" or "self" posited by "humanism."…By way of contrast, the poststructural subject or self is seen to be incoherent, disunified, and in effect "decentered," so that depending upon the commentator a human being is described as, for example, a mere conveyor of unconscious mainstream ideologies, or as simply a "site" in which various cultural constructs and "discursive formations" created and sustained by the structures of power in a given social environment play themselves out. --H.K Bush

It is in this area that I perhaps have struggled the most. The reasons, I believe, are clear enough: this is an area of poststructural weakness within the board itself. Do a search on “discursive formations” or “unconscious mainstream ideologies” and you will see for yourself how we, as a community, fail to articulate this characteristic clearly enough for aspiring Frequent Posters to gain mastery. Nonetheless, the illustrious Level 7K Nanohedron raises us all up with his brilliant self-decentering while at the same time driving home the whole primacy-of-theory thing:
Nanohedron wrote:Speaking as one for whom God created calculators, I can't pretend to any meaning in my moniker; it came to me while letting a screen-name composer engine do the work --nice, with usually surreal results, but somehow unsatisfying. Then: Eureka! From the swampy murk of my wetware it arose, and its absurdity was just the ticket.

I envisioned some kind of hypospatial geometry...a nanohedron being a bombastic term for a point, as it were. And the point? There is none, but in theory.
It was only in an exchange with the master himself that I believe the incoherence and disunity of my poststructural self finally emerged with some confidence:
Nanohedron wrote:
cskinner wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:O'blivion's serves up a toothsome stew ("primordial" in one review), and the shepherd's pi is not to be missed.

Personally, I didn't care for the peppered shy. The salted hare waltz more to my taste.
An occount of your torldliness and waste, do noubt! Well, Iring cookish aist jun't ver eforyone, aller aft. Rore meviews, Coral?
cskinner wrote: Well, of course as an avatar I do have a wit of burledliness, herpaps.
(3) Texts for the Sake of Texts
Crowley divides texts into the poststructural kind and the current-traditional variety. Her version of poststructural defines texts that exist just because they do…Texts are produced in and of themselves, for themselves, and for the sake of other texts…and exist just because they do, just to be happy with other texts.-- Martine Courant Rife (MSU)

One can only imagine that Rife had none other than the Chiff & Fipple Poststructural Pub in mind as she framed her definition. Every post has this quality, so referring to any one in particular seems unnecessary, though in defense of my thesis I believe I need to point to one of my own, from a thread I enjoyed very much (that actually did have a reference to Inuit, which is the language in italics below), but that could also apply to every transaction I’ve had on the board:
cskinner wrote:
quviasuktunga tamaaniinnama :)
("I'm happy to be here.")
Humbly submitted this day, October 17, 2005.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I vote that Carol be initiated into the 1k Lodge, who will second my motion?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Congrats on the big 1K

HIP
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Denny

Post by Denny »

HIP
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hooray!

I'm glad you had the good taste to not spell it "calibre", Carol. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fearfaoin

Re: Humbly submitted

Post by fearfaoin »

cskinner wrote:It was only in an exchange with the master himself that I believe the incoherence and disunity of my poststructural self finally emerged with some confidence...
Indeed, that post has the Buddha Nature.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

HAOOY PNETHOPSAND!!!!

:):):):):):):):)
djm

Post by djm »

Dunno. Seems kinda prelemonaded to me .... :really:

djm
Last edited by djm on Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Yippee! :party:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I'm glad you finally did that. I was concerned because 999 is 666 upside down.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Oh, I knew this one would be well worth waiting for. Brilliant. Carol, you achieved mostructural pastery long ago; the thesis is, umm... icing on the cake, so to speak. Brava.
:party:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Congrats! Wonderful thesis, by the way. Not that I bothered to read it. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Re: Humbly submitted

Post by Unseen122 »

cskinner wrote: A Thesis for people with (relatively) short attention spans
I lost intrest after that. Congrats anyway.
emmline

Post by emmline »

scottielvr wrote: the thesis is, umm... icing on the cake, so to speak.
or, sugar on the cookie...or tile on your subfloor...or a tuning slide on your whistle, if you will.

Having been cited as a "site" quite excites! Thanks for the insight you've brought to the site.

...allow me to go decenter. I'm feeling a bit frameworked.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations Carol

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: