If you have all the whistles you want &have a few bucks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

More than New England were original states. I don't know... I'm willing to call Georgia New England, if they want to be. But I doubt they want it.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

:lol: I doubt they want it either.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Walden wrote:Image
Hey Walden-- ya GOT me! I actually went to Amazon.com to see a review of your book... :oops:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Cranberry wrote:The religious stuff is kinda funny, but I wonder--why do people so often portray Jesus as a white European, when, in all probability, being an ethnic Palestinian Jew, he was not? .
The first portrayals were done by white European painters whose audience was other white Europeans. Can't have the Son of God looking TOO Jewish, you know... :P The Church also no doubt wanted people praying to someone who looked even remotely like them, which I guess is understandable.
Got wood?
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

One of the reasons my ex- wive is EX is that we had over 20 cats IN the house. I love cats as much as the next guy, but our current three are PLENTY. I would SO love to send her this:

http://www.mcphee.com/items/11377.html

but I think it would constitute harrassment...
Got wood?
missy

Post by missy »

1) I love Archie - my one regret is I've never gotten to go to the store when I was out there..........

2) While technically I'm a Yankee (Ohio being part of the North and all), by action I'm Redneck and proud!!

3) I've always "pictured" Jesus to look like a Lebanese friend of mine.

carry on........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

dubhlinn wrote:
Just as well..

Symbolism is the Camera of the Atheist.

Slan Bro.

Slan,
D.
ah, irony.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Yankee was used way used long before the war of northern aggression (sic). It was a derogatory remark to the colonists. It tells great volumes that the south would use such a remark as an insult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Doodle

For those that do not read links.
Brother Ephraim sold his Cow
And bought him a Commission;
And then he went to Canada
To fight for the Nation;

But when Ephraim he came home
He proved an arrant Coward,
He wouldn't fight the Frenchmen there
For fear of being devour'd.
PS, I own these
Image.

Bought them at a surplus store (Ax Man) for less than a dollar.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think I should get myself that pink poodle after all this. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee
"YANKEE
Contemporary uses

In the United States
Within the United States, the term Yankee can have a number of different contextually and geographically dependent meanings.

Today Yankee is most often used to refer to a New Englander (in which case it may denote New England puritan and thrifty values). It can be used in this way by Americans in any part of the country. In the American South it is still used as a derisive term for persons from any state north of the Mason-Dixon Line. In recent years, though, particularly since the 2000 and 2004 elections, the term has expanded to include people from Maryland and Delaware, based in large part on those states' political affiliation. Thus, in either case the principal use of the term in the U.S. is as a means of distinguishing a group from those from living further south (i.e., in the southeastern states).

Since the beginning of the 20th Century, the term has also been used by Americans to refer to the New York Yankees baseball team, or the fans of that team.

In other parts of the world
Outside the United States, especially in Britain, Australia and New Zealand, Yankee, often shortened to 'Yank', is used as a colloquial term for American. The term was used extensively in these countries during the World War periods to refer to American soldiers. In some parts of the world, particularly in Latin America and East Asia, yankee or yanqui is meant as an insult and is politically associated with anti-Americanism and used in expressions such as "Yankee go home." In Japan the term yankī is used to refer to a youth subculture of bleached blondes who are generally regarded as delinquents and thugs by older generations; general slang for American is amekō.

Then who, really, is a Yankee?
To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

—(an old definition)

It is used by people from other countries as slang to mean Americans, both as a term of endearment and as an insult. Hence, the term has had various positive, negative, contextual and regional associations over the years, as books, media, troops, teams, and peoples have used it differently for different purposes."
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cynth wrote:It is not incorrect.
Fortunately, you're not in charge of who is called a Yank and who isn't! I think you should leave it to Southerners themselves (i.e. me and Walden and others) to decide if we'll call ourselves Yanks, thanks!
Cynth wrote:As I have suggested to Cranberry a number of times, the dictionary is a handy thing to use. Look up Yank like I did before you start yapping about it.
And as I have stated to you a number of times, dictionaries are arbitrary and while very helpful for spellings and other subtleties, they do not always reflect current usages of words for all ethno-linguistic groups at all times. It's simply incorrect (and offensive to many) to call somebody from the South a yank. That's not how we Southerners describe ourselves, it's not how it's used.

Any given dictionary could say that pigs can fly, but it wouldn't necessarily be so just because that's what a dictionary said--I'm not a Yankee!

Or a doodle or a dandy!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Weird catalog. Weird thread.
Jack

Post by Jack »

DaleWisely wrote:Weird catalog. Weird thread.
Hello, Dale. Are you a Yank? ;)
Jack

Post by Jack »

brewerpaul wrote:
Cranberry wrote:The religious stuff is kinda funny, but I wonder--why do people so often portray Jesus as a white European, when, in all probability, being an ethnic Palestinian Jew, he was not? .
The first portrayals were done by white European painters whose audience was other white Europeans. Can't have the Son of God looking TOO Jewish, you know... :P The Church also no doubt wanted people praying to someone who looked even remotely like them, which I guess is understandable.
It seems like it is almost stepping on the "making God in your own image" kind of thing, to me.

At any rate, I saved this URL because I find it interesting:

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/scien ... ace.jesus/

dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

'Twas meself that started the ball rolling on this one.
Over this side of the pond,Yank or Yankee are terms used to describe Americans, irrespective of region.

There was,of course, no offence intended :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

dubhlinn wrote:Image

'Twas meself that started the ball rolling on this one.
Over this side of the pond,Yank or Yankee are terms used to describe Americans, irrespective of region.

There was,of course, no offence intended :wink:

Slan,
D.
And an interesting rolling ball it is, Dubh. One's ability to see a larger world than one's own, whether it be cultural, ethnic, religious, or political, doesn't seem to come naturally; a purpose of higher education is to cultivate this ability. The goal is to become able to see things from the perspectives of others and to understand how they came to have that perspective, and to remain free of insult and offense in the process. Until we reach that goal, well, we remain small people. And I'm not sure we ever become truly able to fully reach that goal. Somehow, we always seem to remain bigots.

Learning to inform oneself about the issues is crucial. Fortunately, we now have the internet with a wealth of readily available information. We can research why Christ is portrayed by westerners as a westerner, what the term "Yankee" means, why, and to whom, and any number of other things. It is no longer necessary that we remain trapped in the confines of the half-baked opinions of others--we can find out for ourselves. And in the process, we try to remain open-mined, to evaluate what we read with a critical eye, and to avoid forming our own half-baked opinions.

The message to use a dictionary should not be interpreted to mean only a Webster's. The intent is to look it up in any way that you possibly can. Beginning with reputable references, such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, and scholarly works, helps in developing criteria for evaluating the accuracy and character of the information we encounter, but you need to keep going from there.
Cotelette d'Agneau