If you have all the whistles you want &have a few bucks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I'm not that skinny, and I'm not a Yankee (Yankees are from the North, I'm a Southerner by birth).

And I really didn't get the joke, so since I can't possibly be sick according to you, I must just be stupid. Yep, that must be it. I need to sleep so bad.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cranberry wrote:I'm not that skinny, and I'm not a Yankee (Yankees are from the North, I'm a Southerner by birth).
No Cranberry, on this side of the pond we are all yanks to some. Suck it up and drive on.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:The religious stuff is kinda funny, but I wonder--why do people so often portray Jesus as a white European, when, in all probability, being an ethnic Palestinian Jew, he was not? His hair most likely was not light brown or blonde (or long, layered, and womanly, for that matter), and he almost certainly didn't have such a long, thin, distinctive pale face and blueish/greenish eyes. That's always confused me.
I doubt He is so often portrayed as a light-haired western European-looking fellow in the majority of Eastern Orthodox iconography.

Likely, conventions of how Christ is portrayed in art have a lot to do with where the artists lived who portrayed Him, and what sort of people they saw, themselves. When I was a child in rural Oklahoma, I knew many white Americans and many American Indians, but I didn't know a Chinese from a German.

Artists use models, much of the time, to base features on. Having little in the way of physical attributest to go on, beyond mention in Scripture that He had a beard, artists relied more on symbolism. Soft-colored eyes indicated less about race than an attempt to convey kind eyes, I suspect. A long, thin, face suggested someone who lived a hard life of deprivation, even hinted at the mutilations of the cross. Hair with a golden cast to it hinted at a royal crown, and rays of light.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I.D.10-t wrote: No Cranberry, on this side of the pond we are all yanks to some. Suck it up and drive on.
Those "some" are in error. Would a Welshman like it if we referred to him as an Englishman?
Reasonable person
Walden
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Walden wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote: No Cranberry, on this side of the pond we are all yanks to some. Suck it up and drive on.
Those "some" are in error. Would a Welshman like it if we referred to him as an Englishman?
Not nearly as much as an Irishman would care to be described as a Paddy...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

In this country, people in the South call people in the North "yanks". I guess people in the North call people in the South Southerners.

In other countries, it is common to refer to Americans in general as Yanks. It is not incorrect. Think of the song Yankee Doodle Dandy? Did that come before or after the Civil War? Just because some people changed the definition of Yanks doesn't mean the other earlier meaning is invalid. Yank, as used by people in other countries, isn't necessarily derogatory. In WWII movies people refer to Yanks who are on the same side as we were.

So it is nothing like calling a Welshman an Englishman which is downright incorrect.

There is nothing to suck up. As I have suggested to Cranberry a number of times, the dictionary is a handy thing to use. Look up Yank like I did before you start yapping about it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cynth wrote:In this country, people in the South call people in the North "yanks". I guess people in the North call people in the South Southerners.

In other countries, it is common to refer to Americans in general as Yanks. It is not incorrect. Think of the song Yankee Doodle Dandy? Did that come before or after the Civil War? Just because some people changed the definition of Yanks doesn't mean the other earlier meaning is invalid. Yank, as used by people in other countries, isn't necessarily derogatory. In WWII movies people refer to Yanks who are on the same side as we were.

So it is nothing like calling a Welshman an Englishman which is downright incorrect.

There is nothing to suck up. As I have suggested to Cranberry a number of times, the dictionary is a handy thing to use. Look up Yank like I did before you start yapping about it.
Over here, anybody from America is a Yank.

You would not believe what they call them in Ireland :oops:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

I think the portrayal may have more to do with historical notions of an ideal appearance. I have read that, at least in Europe if not elsewhere, fair skin denoted aristocracy, where as any degree of browness of skin indicated you were a peasant who had to toil out in the sun. I don't know of any document that declares this openly, but I suspect this kind of thinking may have crept into the Christian iconography of Europe, which is where most of these images originate.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mukade

Post by mukade »

dubhlinn wrote:
Cynth wrote:In this country, people in the South call people in the North "yanks". I guess people in the North call people in the South Southerners.

Over here, anybody from America is a Yank.

You would not believe what they call them in Ireland :oops:

Slan,
D.
Have you ever heard of Sepponian?

It comes from Septic Tank / Yank.
Gawd laav them Cocknees.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: If you have all the whistles you want &have a few bu

Post by anniemcu »

TonyHiggins wrote:This is the weirdest stuff I've seen in one place...and it's not expensive.

http://www.mcphee.com/bigindex/index.html
Archie McFee's has been a family favorite for years. Their grab bags are a real bargain. It's one of the ways we can tell which friends are keepers. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

My daughter is making her Christmas list from the site as we speak. She's admiring the hare chrishna alarm clock. Which reminds me, my son was saying today that we should plant an alarm clock in her room on her birthday to go off at 6am. So I added that we should collect all the alarm devices in the house and set them to go off 5 minutes apart. Now, back to the religious discussion...
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

In other countries, it is common to refer to Americans in general as Yanks. It is not incorrect. Think of the song Yankee Doodle Dandy? Did that come before or after the Civil War? Just because some people changed the definition of Yanks doesn't mean the other earlier meaning is invalid.
It is incorrect. It refers, properly to New Englanders, and it was, by extension applied to all Northerners (but not Canadians, though they are, technically, "this side of the pond"), during and subsequent to the unpleasantness of the mid 19th Century.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote: And I really didn't get the joke, so since I can't possibly be sick according to you, I must just be stupid. Yep, that must be it. I need to sleep so bad.

I didn't get the joke, either. It must be that I might have cancer, too.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The usage has evolved. I understand the difference between prescriptive and descriptive dictionaries. I am saying that the dictionaries list a number of meanings for that word. They are all meanings I have heard many times. If you choose to say some of the meanings are incorrect and that your definitions are the authoritative ones, I cannot stop you.

The word has gone beyond it's original meaning. By your reasoning why would anyone other than New Englanders be called Yanks? Why is it okay to extend the word to all Northerners and then say the word can't change after that? It refered to New Englanders because that's where the United States were at that time. The people of the United States were Yankees. Yes, there is also a usage which refers to New Englanders as Yankees---the Yankee Workshop. So it applies to different groups of people. Frankly, I do think it is more polite for Southerners to refer to a person living in the North as a Northerner. But I don't deny the definition of the word.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That is one fine looking Greyhound Bus, Lamby! :lol: