Brass: Polished or Tarnished

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wynder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brass: Polished or Tarnished

Post by Wynder »

Greetings, folks...

I've had my Burke D since 2001 and, though I've always kept the bore and inside of the instrument clean, I've left the outside tarnished under the assumption that this would give the whistle a bit more of a darker tone.

Am I incorrect in this assumption?

Also, has anyone tried out his new Low D Viper? I'm picking one up in a month or two, so I'd like to hear any reviews or personal experiences. :)

Rob
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Brass: Polished or Tarnished

Post by brewerpaul »

Wynder wrote:Greetings, folks...

I've had my Burke D since 2001 and, though I've always kept the bore and inside of the instrument clean, I've left the outside tarnished under the assumption that this would give the whistle a bit more of a darker tone.

Am I incorrect in this assumption?
Rob
I think this would be totally subjective. The EXCEEDINGLY thin film of tarnish is not likely to change the tone in any way.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

brewerpaul wrote:I think this would be totally subjective. The EXCEEDINGLY thin film of tarnish is not likely to change the tone in any way.
Yeah, I've no knowledge of metallurgy, so I have no idea -- however, with the Burke whistles being /very/ thin walled to begin with, I though that 4 or 5 years of tarnish over the complete surface area it might actually affect the tonal quality.

Maybe I'll slap some brasso on it someday just to see. :)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Leave the patina. It probably won't do a thing soundwise, but it makes for a much more intresting instrument- shows it's got a "history".
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I never polish my Burke. And that ain't just a euphamism, if you know what I mean.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I have a Burke Viper Low D aluminum. It sounds nicer where there is a natural echo or reverb. Without that, the tone is okay, nothing magical. What other whistles are you considering?
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

BillChin wrote:I have a Burke Viper Low D aluminum. It sounds nicer where there is a natural echo or reverb. Without that, the tone is okay, nothing magical. What other whistles are you considering?
That's pretty much it -- I currently own a Howard Low D... I played around with a Chieftan Low D yesterday and absolutely loved the sound over the Howard. But I've owned two Burke high whistles and I've been happy with them, so I'll probably stick with him (especially since the $210 is right in my price range)... I mostly perform outdoors, though, so that's a bit of a concern if it needs a bit of reverb to sound really good (though I find that true with any whistle or voice for that matter ;p).

Any other suggestions then for around that price range?
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

You can search for low D recommendations, there are plenty of opinions, or perhaps you can make a new post asking for low D recommendations and your desires. If you are outdoors unamplified, I would not recommend the Burke Viper low D. The volume is average and with the lower key it can only be heard out to about 8 feet. With amplification it will do fine, though as I mentioned a bit of echo or reverb adds to the sound.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I play the Burke Viper. I find many different instruments that I like for different reasons, but none better than the Viper. The latest incarnation of Mike's Viper has just the right back pressure and solid low end to please me. As with all of his instruments, the ease of playability extends for the full 2+ octave range...For the price, I know of none better.

I know of no low whistle that does not require a sound system when played for an audience, outdoors. Please don't let that requirement be a spoiler in your choice.

If I can answer any direct questions for you, please fire away...

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

I think this would be totally subjective. The EXCEEDINGLY thin film of tarnish is not likely to change the tone in any way.
I have a degree in Corrosion technology and I have to agree with the above mentioned quote. Technically, tarnish is an oxide film that can of course be found on silver and copper. The growth of oxide films on copper tends to follow a parabolic rate, and is a function of temperature. It is my understanding that after a while the oxide film cause the metal to become passive.(protects against further oxidation). Each time you polish the tarnish away, it will of course repeat the process and the metal will begin to tarnish again. Therefore, you are actually causing metal loss by polishing. (Or for that matter, by playing it and rubbing the film away.) It is ,however, so insignificant that no fluctuation in tone would occur any time soon. There....more than anyone wanted to know about tarnish
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I recall a posting a few years back in which the poster asked what he (I believe it was a he) could do to get a nice rich patina on his recently acquired brass whistle or whistles. I was younger then--and a bit of a wise guy--and I recall glibly suggesting that he play it every day for 5 to 10 years, and it would be sure to get that patina he was looking for. Well, five or six years have elapsed since then, and I note with some satisfaction that (a) I'm not so much of a wise guy as I was then and (2) my Sindts--the first high end whistles I acquired and which remain among my favorites--have, in fact, begun to acquire a patina--the real patina that comes with age. (I should age so nicely!!)

The only time I consider polishing what are now my 'old' whistles is when I get, for example, a brand new brass Burke or Hoover and admire that initial luster. The notion of a whole collection looking like that is an attractive one. Then I am reminded of the woman on the Antiques Roadshow who had this classic bulb shaped hand hammered copper Arts and Crafts lamp that she had "shined up a little--it was so dull looking...." The appraiser indicated that the removal of the patina lowered the value by approximately half, though it was still worth a lot.

My point is, you can't unring that bell. Whenever I am tempted to buy metal polish, I remember the Roadshow......

Tom D.
Borderpiper

Post by Borderpiper »

I think leaving the tarnish on gives more character. I also like it when you play a brass whistle a lot it goes all shiny round the holes. whistles feel nicer not polished.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Borderpiper wrote:I think leaving the tarnish on gives more character. I also like it when you play a brass whistle a lot it goes all shiny round the holes. whistles feel nicer not polished.
I agree. My old brass Feadogs have all aged nicely. As for the Doolin 2-piece that goes everywhere with me on my keyring, well when people see that they assume I'm some veteran whistler (rather than an incompetent widdler) 'cause of the nice aging and clear playing marks around the holes.
:)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I love a good old patina, anyone can have a shiny new looking whistle.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Here's my reasoning for not polishing mine:

I walk into the session, sit down, and pull out a bright shiny Burke. Then they hear me play, and the unspoken thought is, "Look at the dweeb and his fancy whistle, can't play a lick."

So if I bring out a tarnished one, at least it looks like I practice.

Except I usually use the Oak until I've gotten comfortable.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony