Anyone know of a good Christmas arrangement? (Tune that is)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rodfish
antispam: No

Anyone know of a good Christmas arrangement? (Tune that is)

Post by rodfish »

My daughter an I have been asked to play in Church on Christmas Eve and we're looking for something appropriate but that has a distinct Irish or "whistle" flare to it. And hopefully something with at least a couple of parts so we can play harmony or she can accompany me on the piano.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would absolutely be thrilled! :thumbsup:

Thanks;

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

With a bit of Irish ornamentation, Greensleeves should be pretty.

O Come, O Come Emmanuel is stunning on a low whistle. For some reason, every time I pick up a low whistle, that tune comes to mind. What's weird is that I'm Jewish! Glorious tune in any event.
Last edited by brewerpaul on Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

Umm . . .Christmas Eve the reel??

I think just about any "real" Christmas carol would sound great. BY "real" I mean anything not written in the last 100 years. No Bing Crosby or Holly Jollies, please.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

God rest ye merry, Gentlemen (both tunes, but the one which is scalar is best) and the tune to which Good King Wenceslas was set are the best Christmas melodies, IMO, and both make crackling-good dance tunes.

In fact, that's what they were first. IMO that's the secret of the best christmas carols--'carol' originally meant a kind of dance, independant of the season.

It's the dancy-nature of the tunes which makes them most amenable to irish style playing.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
sweet potato
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

I have played Away in a Manger, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella, and Ding Dong Merrily On High for a nice Christmas set on the whistle for church. (The first two tunes have many variations - we have played the ones more familiar here in Scotland (and elsewhere) than the ones I grew up with in the US).

Laura
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I've only been playing for 2-3 weeks, but Christmas carols seem really easy. I've been able to pick out Greensleeves (What Child is This?), Little Drummer Boy, Good King Winceslas, We Three Kings, I Saw Three Ships, and even Angels We Have Heard On High. They're not real clean, but the melodies are there.

You can also go here for starters:

http://www.tinwhistler.com/songtype.asp?songtype=14

It seems to me that the whistle just lends itself easily to Christmas carols.

Jason
kenny

Merry Christmas - already ??

Post by kenny »

Frankie Gavin released a recording some years back along the lines of "Frankie Gavin's Irish Christmas", which had some great playing on it.
Get that , if you can. The set-dance "The Piper In The Meadow Straying" is almost identical to a Christmas carol, but I don't recall which, at the moment. If you're stuck, contact me , and I'll send you a recording on tape or mini-disc.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Don Oiche Ud I mBeithil is a very lovely Irish carol. It's been recorded by many, including the Chieftains. (It's also in Bill Ochs' tinwhistle tutor.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

jsluder wrote:Don Oiche Ud I mBeithil is a very lovely Irish carol. It's been recorded by many, including the Chieftains. (It's also in Bill Ochs' tinwhistle tutor.)

I'll second the above suggestion if you want autheticity.

At our annual church Christmas revelry I always play a bunch of Christmas tunes on whistle. Most were played with the organ so if your daughter can do piano, that will sound great. Here's a few I've done that worked well-

The Boar's Head Carol- you can work out a nice descant to this one too.

Personet Hodie

Holly and the Ivy

Huron Carol (this one is very nice on low whistle

Gower Wassail

Glouchestershire Wassail

Deck the Hall

Of the Father's Love Begotten

Love Came Down at Christmas

Actually, most carols you might like can be done on whistle. Just think of some of your favorites and try them out. I bet you'll be plesantly suprised.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
MacNeil

Post by MacNeil »

The Whistle and Squeak site has some nice settings, including a lovely one of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence (which is arguably a Christmas piece).
tommyk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tommyk »

The largest of the groups I play with has a Christmas CD with lots of fine arrangements (I can say this so boldly because I joined the band a few years after that disc was completed). Check out this link for the track listing and samples:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/gladlyplaye
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the great suggestions; I should be able to find something (more than one) there.

jsluder: "Don Oiche Ud I mBeithil" is a beautiful tune. I had not played it nor heard it before. Thanks!

tommyk: the samples from your web site are great. I may just have to order a CD!

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

And a couple more I don't think I saw mentioned--

Wexford Carol

Christmas Day Ida Moarnin'
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I Wander as I Wonder

I Saw Three Ships

Coventry Carol
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

I've been starting to practice christmas music in prep for the season. Mst recently I've been learning O, Holy Night, works wonderfully on whistle.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."