Where Would You Go?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Where Would You Go?

Post by OnTheMoor »

I think I know what answer you guys will give, but I'll ask anyways.

So,
About one year from now I'll have a degree under my belt and will be looking to laze about for a year before deciding if I should continue with school or get a haircut/job.

That year will be spent abroad, somewhere in the British Isles. If you were me, would you pick Dublin, Edinburgh or London as your host city, and why?

Important factors are: Living space, available jobs (nothing special), living costs, travel costs (within the country and to the mainland) and cheap flute teachers.

Travelling outside the host city will be a real possibility too. Both myself and my girlfriend will be going.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Dublin is terribly expensive and due to the influx of European immigrants, the traditionally low paying jobs - barwork etc. - are few and far between. There would be restrictions on anybody from outside the European Union doing any kind of work without a permit.Even Buskers are licensed to avoid any abuse of the social welfare system.

London is much the same by all accounts.

I don't know anything about Edinburgh but I'm sure that somebody will weigh in soon enough altough it is half past midnight now in this time zone.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

dubhlinn wrote:Dublin is terribly expensive and due to the influx of European immigrants, the traditionally low paying jobs - barwork etc. - are few and far between. There would be restrictions on anybody from outside the European Union doing any kind of work without a permit.Even Buskers are licensed to avoid any abuse of the social welfare system.

London is much the same by all accounts.

I don't know anything about Edinburgh but I'm sure that somebody will weigh in soon enough altough it is half past midnight now in this time zone.

Slan,
D.
Hi Dub, I'll be going as part of a work abroad program, the work permit is taken care of. I'm free to do whatever, wherever for one year.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

If it were me I'd choose Edinburgh simply becuse I've not been there.

Actually, whichever you choose, I'd go for a village or town within 45 minutes by train of the city itself. You could save a fortune that way. Cities are freakin' expensive.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

http://www.gumtree.ie/

Here is a guide to renting in Dublin.The northside is usually cheaper than the southside.You'd be lucky to get anything decent for less than 500 Canadian dollars a month, very lucky.

Have a google on prices,renting, wages in Dublin and see what you can suss out.If you need to know where things are in relation to the centre and the availability of public transport - which is very cheap and plentiful - let me know. There are parts of Dublin that you do not want to go anywhere near..believe me.

Feel free to PM or Email me anytime for background info.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

OnTheMoor wrote:Hi Dub, I'll be going as part of a work abroad program, the work permit is taken care of. I'm free to do whatever, wherever for one year.
Now THAT would be beneficial! Although I'm sure it has something to do with school. Sorry....I'm hijacking a bit and I don't mean to. Job prospects in an EU country are hard to come by for a non-EU citizen, and very few Visas are issued (at least in Ireland...that's where I've been looking as of late obviously).

I don't know if this is any better than the link that Dub gave you (and he'd know more than I would when it comes to Dublin), but http://www.daft.ie/ also has lots of rentals in the Dublin area. It'll also give you outlying areas that might be cheaper, and yet close enough to commute.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

izzarina wrote:
Now THAT would be beneficial! Although I'm sure it has something to do with school. Sorry....I'm hijacking a bit and I don't mean to. Job prospects in an EU country are hard to come by for a non-EU citizen, and very few Visas are issued (at least in Ireland...that's where I've been looking as of late obviously).
Hey iz, here's the program, http://www.swap.ca/
Well known and well liked. I believe there is a non-student one on there somewhere.

Great link dubhlinn, I'm putting it in my planning folder. Yes, I got lost in Dublin once, it was... an experience. :)
BigDavy

Edinburgh

Post by BigDavy »

Hi OnTheMoor

Come to Scotland!!!

Edinburgh is expensive, why don't you try Glasgow instead.

(Sorry the Edinburgh / Glasgow rivalry coming out).

The major trad music teaching organisation in Edinburgh is
http://www.alpscotsmusic.org/class.html

Note they do not do flute, but they should be able to put you in touch with Claire Mann for one to one teaching. If you come to Glasgow, there are 4 CCE branches in Glasgow and the surrounding areas, so you can get teaching there.

In either Glasgow or Edinburgh you will get access to sessions (of varying quality) 7 days a week, so you will nevewr lack for music.

Izzarina - as a Commonwealth citizen, OnTheMoor would get visas and work permits faster than a US citizen.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
djm

Post by djm »

I would choose England, simply because they have so much of everything I would like to see. With England as a base, you can still visit other countries like Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Cornawarr (pray bingo - housey housey) but return again for work the next morning. As a Canadian, you can get into Commonwealth countries easier than Republic of Ireland as far as jobs go. In fact, there are so many places I would like to see over there that I can't imagine finding any time for work at all. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sweet potato
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

I echo David's recommendation of coming to Scotland. I live in Glasgow, but I would prefer to live outside of the city if that were a possibility (I am a Wisconsin native, not an urbanite at heart!). I regretfully know little about life in Dublin, but certainly life in London would be more expensive than it is here (and it is much more expensive here than it is in the US).

Public transportation here is good, but not terribly cheap (but often I am traveling as part of a family of four, which adds up). One can fairly easily get out of the city and around the country by train and by bus and by foot.

As David points out, there is lots of music going in Glasgow and Edinburgh and elsewhere in the country.

What a wonderful opportunity for you!

Laura
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

sharing a house is not too expensive....
http://tinyurl.com/9oxm7
Last edited by lixnaw on Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Scotland.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

yes. :)
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Is it possible to live in two places for six months each?
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Avanutria, as long as it is the same country. I'm looking for a starting point here. That's one thing the UK has going for it, the restrictions are pretty loose. This is a working vacation, so I will definately be travelling, but these are the three cities I have to pick from for the host city. Actually they do have a Britain/Ireland combo over 2 years, but that is just too much time for me.

To be honest, visiting Dublin I was not completely taken with the city... but I liked the rest of the country just fine and would love to spend some more time there.

So as far as the cities themselves go, I would actually probably pick Edinburgh, but that rules out working in any Irish cities or towns, I'd be "restricted" to the UK.

djm, very true. I'll be spending a good amount of time explaining to my girlfriend that we need to actually work if she wants to travel at all.

It's a very tough decision.