Sin City (the movie)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sin City (the movie)

Post by buddhu »

What did you think?

I quite liked it. An interesting job all round, and great performances from Rourke and Willis (who can act if you catch him in the right place at the right time...).

The shots were so brilliantly perfect repro's of comic book style perspectives that I frequently laughed out loud at how well the gag worked. If anything the whole thing was such a successful pastiche of the graphic novel format that it became almost pointless, and one might just as well have read the static comic book.

Great fun, but a bit overlong.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
djm

Post by djm »

Yup, I agree. Its great for the effect, but the stories are just as dumb as a comic book, and the acting is over the top to suit the genre. Its a good film to see once, but not a keeper.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Beautiful. Even though disgusting. The hobbit was great. Made me feel emotions. Rare for a movie.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I.D.10-t wrote:Beautiful. Even though disgusting. The hobbit was great. Made me feel emotions. Rare for a movie.
I agree. The sparse use of color is facinating, I may have to go back
and watch it again to catch the significance each time color is used.
I thought it was incredible the way they made it look like a black and
white comic, including filming the blood (of which there was plenty) as
a pool of glowing white amongst the grey. The film is pretty gory, so
it's not for everyone (i.e., I'm glad I didn't bring my wife along), but if
you can get past that and appreciate the cinimatography, it's for you.
It's definately artsier than most comic book films...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I thought it was visually very striking and it really translated that whole graphic comic genre to film effectively. I didn't think the stories had much going for them, though.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

DaleWisely wrote:I thought it was visually very striking and it really translated that whole graphic comic genre to film effectively. I didn't think the stories had much going for them, though.
I found a lot of things in the stories. I found that the “bad guys” broke promises and would inform on their own to provide benefit to them selves. Where as the “good guys” would live for only the purpose of helping others and would only compromise to help others. In the story of Blondie, the guy was captured and could have fought out, but he stayed and informed the others. These things and others puts the movie beyond the normal movie.

Simple, stupid, but not many movies I like.

To totally out my self, I liked ”Edward Scissor Hands”
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I.D.10-t wrote: To totally out my self, I liked ”Edward Scissor Hands”
Re: Edward Scissorhands: One of my favorite movies!

I loved Sin City.
Visually stunning.

I don't necessarily go to a movie to be anything other than entertained. This movie greatly entertained me. I was with my son, and he enjoyed it as well.

M
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I.D.10-t wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:I thought it was visually very striking and it really translated that whole graphic comic genre to film effectively. I didn't think the stories had much going for them, though.
I found a lot of things in the stories. I found that the “bad guys” broke promises and would inform on their own to provide benefit to them selves. Where as the “good guys” would live for only the purpose of helping others and would only compromise to help others. In the story of Blondie, the guy was captured and could have fought out, but he stayed and informed the others. These things and others puts the movie beyond the normal movie.

Simple, stupid, but not many movies I like.

To totally out my self, I liked ”Edward Scissor Hands”
Scissorhands is a great movie, but then I quite like Burton stuff.

I get what djm and Dale say about the stories, but I agree more with I.D.10-t, I think.

The stories were sparse, but that was totally consistent with graphic novel and comic book plotting and character development. How many words per page do you see in most graphic novels/comics? Not many, so the stories have to be pared down to bare bones. The knack is getting those bones to keep a shape as if they had more meat on them than they really do.

I think what we saw in Sin City in this respect was intentional, and true to the style that the writers and directors had decided on.
djm

Post by djm »

No, I just think the stories were pretentious and juvenile excuses for the violence. I love comic book art (Moebius is God) but the stories I find to be puerile.

djm
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

djm wrote:No, I just think the stories were pretentious and juvenile excuses for the violence. I love comic book art (Moebius is God) but the stories I find to be puerile.

djm
Oh, ok. Fair enough! :wink:

Seriously, do you mean you like comic book art but find comic book stories in general to be puerile, or did you mean specifically the ones in this movie?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Because I glanced at the comic book for the first segment of the movie, and it was dead-on.

M
djm

Post by djm »

buddhu wrote:do you mean you like comic book art but find comic book stories in general to be puerile
Yes. Its not that I wouldn't like to find a good story in a comic, and such a medium begs for creativity and imagination to the max, but I have not found anything worth remembering other than the imagery/styles.

djm
ashboomstick

Post by ashboomstick »

In that case my I recommend a few titles? Alex Ross' Marvels and Kingdom Come, Alan Moore's Watchmen, Chris Claremont's Dark Phoenix Saga, Matt Wagner's Mage, and Frank Miller's run on Daredevil and his Dark Knight Returns. they are all great stories and are widely accepted classics of the medium. Plus there's a good chance you can find 'em at you local library! :)
"Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"