Looking for key maker...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
David Levine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for key maker...

Post by David Levine »

I am hoping to have two silver keys-- G# and Short F -- retro-fitted to one of my flutes. Post mounted would be fine. Does anybody have suggestions?
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

I am interested too, I am looking for a G# key, block mounted...
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

David,

I'd have to assume this flute's maker can't or won't retrofit (or is long deceased), because the maker would be my first choice.

I've been thinking about adding keys to my Seery, so I know Desi does post mounts (although I'm not sure if they're sterling or nickel silver) for 150 euro per key. Casey Burns also does post mount retrofits at $300 per key.

Doesn't LeHart also post mount?

Those are the first folks that come to mind.

Eric
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

John Gallagher might do that sort of thing.
http://www.tallgrasswinds.com/JohnGallagher.html
Snazzy way to do post-mounting.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Maurice Reviol does the keywork for Martin Doyle I believe. From what I've heard, some nice keywork.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well unless the blocks are there they will be post mounted how can you put a block on when there isn't one? The maker would be the obvious choice, lost of makers are afraid of putting keys on a Flute by another maker.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Dominic Allan www.woodflutes.co.uk (UK) makes all the keywork himself, in excellent quality, and is very approachable.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Marlene Boegli (Dave Copley)
http://www.celticlands.com/page3.html
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Unseen122 wrote: lost of makers are afraid of putting keys on a Flute by another maker.
Afraid? Hardly.
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

Hi David,
The key maker for "'Lauben Oboe's" is John Skelton, the workshop is at 638 central ave, peekskill, ny, John has done work for me on numerious acasions
and is A1 as far as matching existing keys etc, I hav'nt had anything done in the past couple of years but i believe John still works with the company,
you can call him at 1 914 737 3778, You can tell him i referred you,
All the best, John,

I could'nt contact you in ireland, i misplaced the # and spent some time trying to get your # in clare but could'nt,
i did play one night in o'connors bar in doolin.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Loren wrote:
Unseen122 wrote: lost of makers are afraid of putting keys on a Flute by another maker.
Afraid? Hardly.
Ask them see what they say, it will probably be some thing like "I have never seen one of those in person and might ruin it" or "I do not know how to put keys on that particular Flute."
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Unseen122 wrote:Well unless the blocks are there they will be post mounted how can you put a block on when there isn't one?
Not necesarily true. I think Johnny Gallagher replaced a broken block for Dave Migoya. I also think Terry McGee has retrofited keys blocks and all.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Gallagher masterfully replaced an entire foot block for me on an original Siccama flute.

He replaced a block, masterfully again, on a moder-maker's flute....but ONLY after I obtained that maker's permission for John to do the job.

John is incredibly sensitive, as he should be, to the work of others and only agreed to do the job when the maker knew who it was doing it and agreed to have John replace the block. Drilling new holes into their flutes is not something he's likely to do. Getting him to do it on original antique/vintage flutes is a certain no-no for him.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

dm
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Dave thanks for saying what I was noty able to.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'll second the nice keywork on Copleys.
And for post mounts, George Ormiston does a super job.
Last edited by Cathy Wilde on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.