Proper plural for Guinness

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

You've got 20 years' worth of forgetting on me, and ... by gum, I'm pretty sure you're right. But I can't recall completely; I remember something niggling about transitives v. intransitives altho I guess that doesn't count here .....

Gosh, I've forgotten so much. Furthermore I did, admittedly, skate thru college Latin on the strength of my derivatives and the various translations my addled professor described as "poetic" -- but were, in reality, "seat-of-the- pants lucky guesses."

Hic, haec, hoc,
Stupida Maxima.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Ad hoc, ad lock and quid pro quo...so little time, so much to know!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

BLUE MEANIES! BLUUUUUE MEEEEEANIES!!!

Post by Guest »

Cathy Wilde wrote:You've got 20 years' worth of forgetting on me, and ... by gum, I'm pretty sure you're right. But I can't recall completely; I remember something niggling about transitives v. intransitives altho I guess that doesn't count here .....

Gosh, I've forgotten so much. Furthermore I did, admittedly, skate thru college Latin on the strength of my derivatives and the various translations my addled professor described as "poetic" -- but were, in reality, "seat-of-the- pants lucky guesses."

Hic, haec, hoc,
Stupida Maxima.
Oh, well in that case I don't feel so bad! Its more like 40 years since I seen a Latin school book, and to be honest I am very glad that I did not spend too much time looking at it ...

A load of codswallop to some of us, we spent our time sneaking under the desk lid to read sports pages and errr other things .. lol.

Gloria Nakedus on an Excelsior 500 Amen!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

toasty wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:You've got 20 years' worth of forgetting on me, and ... by gum, I'm pretty sure you're right. But I can't recall completely; I remember something niggling about transitives v. intransitives altho I guess that doesn't count here .....

Hic, haec, hoc,
Stupida Maxima.
Oh, well in that case I don't feel so bad! Its more like 40 years since I seen a Latin school book, and to be honest I am very glad that I did not spend too much time looking at it ...

A load of codswallop to some of us, we spent our time sneaking under the desk lid to read sports pages and errr other things .. lol.

:lol:

Nakedness in Excelsius, DominiDominiDomini HEY!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.

Post by Guest »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
toasty wrote:

Hic, haec, hoc,
Stupida Maxima.

:lol:

Nakedness in Excelsius, DominiDominiDomini HEY!
I think the Motorcycle was a Norton Excelsior but they did not make a 500cc as far as I know, however they did make a 250cc which to Irish schoolboys was as good as a 500 - but you'd need to have been on the Irish roads of the time to appreciate what I mean... lol

BTW I recall many a winters evening, with the frost crisp on the ground and a full moon over it, heading off on some lane riding 'pillion' on one of those monster motorcycles that were about in those days. Funny thing some of the best fun ( we called it 'crack' ) that ever was, happened around such escapades; It didn't matter where you went, all that mattered was the going. Often though, it would be to ceilidh at some wit's house and there OC you just might hear some mighty music, but there again there never was any gaurantee to that. I read someplace that Joe Cooley also got about by the same means, it was a common enough mode of transport. Much later when times got bad you'd see folks on those pesky 'mopeds' ( bicycle with motor on it ), finally these were replaced by Hondas ( 50cc yokes ) which can still be found in Irish barns and yards but in pieces.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Speaking of Guinness...
there was that old chap Paddy O'Sullivan who was a worker at the Guinness brewery until the day this terrible accident happend and he lost his life. Two of his workmates went to bring the sad news to Paddy's widow:
"Um, Mrs. O'Sullivan, we have to inform you that your husband Paddy died in a work accident at the brewery today"
"O my god, what did happen to him?"
"Well, he fell into that big tank of Guinness.. and he drowned"
"Terrible...tell me the truth, was it a quick death, or was it slow and painful?"
"Well, I guess the latter. He came out three times to pee."
Christian
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

generally i just mouth "two" at the bar staff in coili's and they know the craic. if i'm drinking in mc cague's pub in monaghan i don't ask, the pints just magically appear in front of me. excellent stuff
Big Time
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

We've got one of those psychic barkeeps here. Isn't it beautiful?

Toasty, I was just looking at some Nortons a couple of weekends ago. Brilliant, beautiful. I think I remember hearing that "JC (Joe Cooley) on a Motorcycle" story somewhere -- and I can just imagine him roaring thru the mud, box strapped across his back; dodging potholes, rocks, and collies in the moonlight!

Somehow a trip home on the interstate .... well. Let's just say it comes in a little lower on the craic meter, that's for sure. ;-)
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Guinno ergo sum.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

So whats the problem??
Gezzus mate, giz annother 2 of those Dark frothy Basmatis, an dont be all day about it, its bloody hot / cold, an im dry as a nuns nasty,
sh@* does it cost that much?,
bugger $%#&@
oh well!!!!!
Cheers (hic)
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Nanohedron wrote:Maybe the Irish plural would be Guinneis?
Yeis, we agree, both me and she. Or perhaps Guinnneiss?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

the irish plural is "dha phionta Guinness" ?
Big Time
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I'll have a pint of Guinness please. And may I have another please?

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

one plea, two please
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit