My Hamon Practice Set (Pics)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Reepicheep
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

A top secret photo from Seth Hamon's lab... Is that a flat chanter?
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have corerected the spelling of Seth's last name to protect the innocent...... :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

You forgot the 'D' Hamon
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Hey Seth......I made my correction.....LOL :)
Keith

Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

There is no 'D' in the name Seth Hamon. http://www.hamonbagpipes.com/
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Joseph I was using the new phonics that the children now days in school use.....if it sounds like hamon...then its correct no matter how its spelled....hammon, hamond, hammond,haman, hamman, etc......LOL

But since you guys are from the old school and phonics didn't get it back then, I will stand corrected..... :)
Keith

ausdag

Post by ausdag »

KDMARTINKY wrote:Joseph I was using the new phonics that the children now days in school use.....if it sounds like hamon...then its correct no matter how its spelled....hammon, hamond, hammond,haman, hamman, etc......LOL

But since you guys are from the old school and phonics didn't get it back then, I will stand corrected..... :)
I'm sure you'll find that that is not the intention of the 'phonics' method. You've got it the wrong way round. WHat it says is that all those different spellings produce the same phoneme and therefore there are more than one way often to spell a sound - a phoneme. It is therefore up to the child to learn (through traditional rote methods - our school uses chants) to learn which single letters or different combinations of letters produce the same sound. It does not mean that you can then spell a word or name any way you like and that it will be correct.

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Joseph E. Smith

KDMARTINKY wrote:Joseph I was using the new phonics that the children now days in school use.....if it sounds like hamon...then its correct no matter how its spelled....hammon, hamond, hammond,haman, hamman, etc......LOL

Ahhhh, I see. Yup, I am from the old school I guess. When I read Hammond, I think of the 'chopped' Hammond B-3 I used to own... complete with a couple of mammoth Leslie speakers.

Rock on all you cool cats!!!

...edited to correct spelling of Hammond...
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:

Ahhhh, I see. Yup, I am from the old school I guess. When I read Hammod, I think of the 'chopped' Hammond B-3 I used to own... complete with a couple of mammoth Leslie speakers.

ahhhh.., nostalgia! :D
Joseph E. Smith

Rick wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:

Ahhhh, I see. Yup, I am from the old school I guess. When I read Hammod, I think of the 'chopped' Hammond B-3 I used to own... complete with a couple of mammoth Leslie speakers.

ahhhh.., nostalgia! :D
Yes. Big time. :D
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

:) Joseph:

I do understand what the true intention of phonics are/were, but with that said my newphew, nephew, etc, brought his report card to his mother (my sister-in-law) and she noted he had made an "A" in spelling (1st grade). Now my sister-in-law knew that he hadn't been making "A's" on his spelling so she called his teacher who said that they are rewarding the children even if they get close to the spelling or if the teacher can get the same "phonics" from the wrong spelling.

In my day and yours I suppose...this would not cut it. If you didn't spell Hamon, but spelled Hammond, etc. you didn't get credit.
How the world and this thread has changed........ :lol:
Keith

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

KD, I have heard of this approach to spelling here in Iowa.

I am starting to think that in your region of the country the "D" on Hammond is not pronounced, so that the word "Hammond" does sound the same as "Hamon".

Do you pronounce "Hammond" and "Hamon" the same way?

I have a feeling you do, and that would explain why for you "Hammond" was a phonetically correct spelling of "Hamon". In my region, the "d" on the end of Hammond is very clearly pronounced if the next word starts with a vowel as in "Hammond organ" or if it is the last word in the sentence. If the following word started with a consonant, the "d" would be much less distinctly pronounced but it would still be sounded. So here if the "d" were left off it wouldn't be a phonetic spelling of the word.

I know this is off-topic but it's really quite interesting. That's not really an excuse, is it :lol: ?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Aha! I just knew it. A "Leslie" in JES clothing. Step on his pedal and he goes :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

djm wrote:Aha! I just knew it. A "Leslie" in JES clothing. Step on his pedal and he goes :boggle:

djm
... he goes: wah.......wah......wah...wah...wah..wah..wah.wah.wahwah
wahwahwahwahwahwah... :D