Chiff forums and AOL?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Chiff forums and AOL?

Post by brewerpaul »

For some reason, I haven't been able to open the Chiff forums on AOL for the past two days. The blue progress bar goes up very slowly, even on our cable connection, and finally hangs up about halfway. Then I get a message that the host is not responding. I CAN get to the forums using internet Explorer directly (which is what I'm doing at the moment). I can also get to other forums which use the same host directly via AOL. What gives?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I have noticed this annoyance also. I have been thinking about switching from AOL... hmmmmmmmmm...
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Chiff forums and AOL?

Post by Tyler »

brewerpaul wrote:For some reason, I haven't been able to open the Chiff forums on AOL for the past two days. The blue progress bar goes up very slowly, even on our cable connection, and finally hangs up about halfway. Then I get a message that the host is not responding. I CAN get to the forums using internet Explorer directly (which is what I'm doing at the moment). I can also get to other forums which use the same host directly via AOL. What gives?
I ditched AOhelL way back in the day of 56k....My experience with them was absolutely horrible.
After I cancelled with them, they continued to charge my credit card for a year and a half and I ended up having to sue them to get my money back. They apparantly have been doing this a lot in our area, and there has been talk of a class action suit.

My personal advice to anyone using America Off-Line is to ditch out before something similar happens to you. There are better and less expensive ISPs out there.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I used AOL for a very brief period and never regreted making the switch to another ISP.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

DaleWisely wrote:I used AOL for a very brief period and never regreted making the switch to another ISP.
Same as that. Their insistence on a slightly non-standard browser set-up has given me headaches over the years: briefly as a user, but more often as a webmaster.

I don't know of anyone who regreted the move to an alternative provider.

In the old days when people were very new to the internet, AOL's easy-to-understand integration of browsing and email was helpful to many. These days there are far more efficient ways to get email and web access.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I take the cds that AOL sends and string them up outside for Christmas decorations. They look really pretty in the sunlight or when the Christmas lights reflect off them. And I don't care if somebody steals them! :D
Charlene
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Charlene wrote:I take the cds that AOL sends and string them up outside for Christmas decorations. They look really pretty in the sunlight or when the Christmas lights reflect off them. And I don't care if somebody steals them! :D
:D That's a great idea!
Jack

Post by Jack »

In West Virginia I had AOL for a long time because it was the only semi-local ISP available. I grew to love it.

I don't have it anymore (I have the college's Internet instead), but I sort of miss the way it cost $30 more than any other ISP and the way it messed up so often.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

AOL SKS

:swear:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

izzarina

Re: Chiff forums and AOL?

Post by izzarina »

Tyler Morris wrote: After I cancelled with them, they continued to charge my credit card for a year and a half and I ended up having to sue them to get my money back. They apparantly have been doing this a lot in our area, and there has been talk of a class action suit.
This isn't just in your area. They seem to do it to just about everyone. We had a problem wish some other business that kept charging our account at one point, and when we went to our bank to see what could be done, the person we talked to brought up AOL as one of the worst companies for this. And the worst part is that because they have tons of money to put into it, they more often than not win any case brought against them. Most people just don't have the money to put into a case, and AOL uses that to their advantage. The bank person we talked to said that in the end, the only way to get them to stop is to kill your bank account completely. So for anyone that cancels their account, make SURE that you put in writing (not just email) that you want to cancel your account, and make sure (I'd say with numerous letters as well as phone calls) that you make your intent well known to them. Keep all correspondence, just in case, and make sure to check your credit bills each month to make sure they are not still billing you.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Cranberry wrote:...I don't have it anymore (I have the college's Internet instead), but I sort of miss the way it cost $30 more than any other ISP and the way it messed up so often...
:lol: Nice one, Cran.

A lot like the way Linux users think of Windows... :P
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

AOL software is crap. AOL company is evil. I don't let my web site customers use AOL. If they insist, I tell them to find another webmaster.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I used to use AOL, through a friend's account, but AOL hasn't even got a local telephone number where I live.
Reasonable person
Walden
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I got Cable. I never used AOhelL even before I got high speed.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Walden wrote:AOL hasn't even got a local telephone number where I live.
What is this "Dialup" of which you speak?