Now which one?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Help me choose!

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:08 pm

A Burke
61%
A Chieftain
11%
Or an Overton
28%

Total votes: 46

talimirr743
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Now which one?

Post by talimirr743 »

I have narrowed it to three. Which ever gets the most votes in one week is the one I will buy. Yeah its strange, but I am having one of the worst times of my life trying to decide since this will be my first and last (for a long while) high-end whistle. I will be happy with whichever one that wins.
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I voted for a Burke as that is the only one out of those which I have played a High D I would suggest Brass.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The best of the best would be Overton.
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

Can't go wrong with any choice out of these three.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I voted Burke - and would specify brass black tip, but I don't get the choices; the Burkes are generally totally different types of whistles from the Chieftain/Overtons. I think most players prefer one or the other type. I've been thinking about this lately. Some play Overton/Chieftain style (wide bore, thick walled aluminum with same material fipple, cylindrical, and lots of back pressure, etc.), and some play Burke and other whistles. I play both the Burke style whistles, which I'd lump as almost everything else in the high end group except Albas. Then there are those that prefer the narrow bore cheapies. I pretty much play everything except Overtons and Chieftains - totally different. That's why that grouping of choices strikes me as strange.

How many of you play regularly Burkes et al (and/or Copelands which are another wonderful animal still) AND Overton/Chieftain style whistles?

Or is it more a matter of key, e.g., Burke, Sindt, Abell, etc. in high keys and Overton/Chieftain low keys?

Inquiring deranged minds want to know...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I didn't vote, because it isn't clear what you're looking for.

If you want a pure sound (although some find it uninteresting), I'd go with Burke aluminum narrow bore. I find that I can wring a lot of different sounds out of mine, making it particularly nice for slow airs. I'll admit that if you don't put something extra into your playing, it may sound a bit too pure.

If you want something a bit more complex, I'd say Burke brass wide bore.

I've never played an Overton high D, but if it's anything like the low F, it's probably more complex than either Burke.

I've never played a Chieftain of any kind.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I have a Burke delrin and a Chieftain aluminum high D and neither is among my favorites. I have never played an Overton, but their reputation seems stronger in low whistles than high Ds.

You still haven't said one word about what kind of sound you prefer, whether you plan on playing in session, solo, in a band. Whether you play indoors, outdoors, on stage, in a pub, in your back alley, in your bedroom. Whether you primarily play Irish Traditional, or have a wider range of interests. If you look hard enough and are patient, you might be able to get all three of them, used for your $200 budget or just a bit over.

For instance if you plan on playing mostly in confined quiet spaces, a Chieftain is the LAST whistle I would suggest. My Chieftain is loud, and sounds shrill in a confined space. On the other hand, a Chieftain is one of the nicest sounding whistles outdoors unamplified.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I voted for a Burke. I'm not a great player, but have owned all three. The Burke was the sound I preferred of those choices. Your best bet, if at all possible, would be to borrow someone's Burke, Chieftain or Overton to try before buying. Only you can tell what sound you're looking for.

The upside, any of the 3 will be fairly easy to re-sell, if you don't like the one you've bought.

Good luck!

Judy
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

PhilO: I regularly play Burkes and Overtons with the band. I find the differences in timbre to be really a lot of fun, both for me and for our audiences. However, my Overtons were made by Colin to be the type that do not cause apoplexy to play. While they have significantly more back pressure than my Burkes, they are not the type that Bloomfield would like...I would not want to be without either maker's instruments. These two types of whistles, along with instruments by Mack Hoover and Pat O'Riordan, make things truly interesting for me.

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I haven't played a Burke or a Chieftain,but I have an Overton high D,at the start I didn't care much for it but after a while I realised that it was me and not the whistle :lol:
It is harder to play than any other whistles I have played,but once you get the hang of it,the sound out of it is amazing.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

For the money, I'd go for a Bleazey.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I would too, last time I talked to Phil he had a Mopane and an Olivewood high D for sale.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Sorry it took so long for me to respond (I had to work overtime at work). I'm wanting a wide bore, something that has a warm sweet tone. I will be playing mostly solo. I go busking sometimes (for a free lunch), and I always take it to any sort of celtic festival, rennaisance fairs, etc. So I am definately going to nedd a durable whistle. I play equally in doors and out, so I'll need something that can be played in and outdoors. I need something somewhat louder than norm. I really appreciate all the suggestions and help

Cheers
Andrew
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Not to be subversive or anything, but you could get a Syn aluminum and a Humphrey Stealth both for about the same amount as a single Burke.

The Syn is wide bore, about as sweet as a Burke, and extremely sturdy. ($41.00--or $49.00 for a D/C set--at http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/store/index.php/cat_14)

The Humphrey is quite a different whistle, but still great, so you'd be getting some variety, too. ($95.00 at http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/)

Hey, it's just a crazy suggestion. There might be some other interesting combos, but this is the one that came to mind.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!

You will have a hard time to interpret the poll as you cant tell how many of the contributers who actually played all three options.

Better make the decission based on your own knowledge or instinct.

If you plan to use it at rennaisance fairs you ought to go for a wooden whistle as plastics and alloys were a bit hard to come by back then. :wink:

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!