So What do you listen to Trad wise?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

For bands, which seems to be what people are focusing on mostly here, I would have to say Planxty, Planxty and Planxty, but only the trad stuff. Their folky stuff is awful. I can abide the Chieftains in small doses, but the rest just don't do it for me. Beyond that I prefer solo recordings best.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Cranberry wrote:
buddhu wrote:I'm shallow, so I prefer this more accessible stuff to hardcore old-time fiddlers and pipers.
I prefer stuff with words, even if just a few. All-instrumental music can't hold my attention anymore. Talk about shallow, eh? :P
Ditto. I'd rather play songs than tunes, too. The problem with the whistle is that I can't play and sing at the same time--at least nothing recognizable.

That's why I'm glad we have the new strings forum. (But I wonder why there's nothing for squeeze boxes.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

djm wrote:For bands, which seems to be what people are focusing on mostly here, I would have to say Planxty, Planxty and Planxty, but only the trad stuff. Their folky stuff is awful.
Oops. Brain cramp on my part. I'm with you on Planxty; I'd add the Bothies, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

The Dubliners have always been one of my favourite bands.Luke Kelly in full flight is a thing of great beauty.Once you get past the Wild Rover/Whiskey in the Jar stuff there are a huge amount of songs in their repertoire which are pure class.Luke was probably the finest interpreter of Ewan McColl songs in the business.

Other bands that get regular playing here would be the Bothys,Altan,De Dannann and Planxty with a touch of the early (1-4) Chieftains.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
mukade

Post by mukade »

My current favourite CD is 'Top of the Coom' by Conal O'Grada.

As for groups, I have always had a soft spot for Craobh Rua.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon

Post by Guest »

Chieftains occasionaly. I like historical stuff, some mining going on as well.

The newer bands seem to me to be racing over roads made by the old crowd and as somebody already pointed out, faster isnt better its worse! Can't play it slow?, you can't play it at all!

Used have Dubs, but lent out never returned in most cases, a few lost when moving like my Johnny Cash LPs .

I like the history makers such as Coleman, Ennis, Cooley and the rest so I have an ample supply of these.

Songs and me, ummmm well I played Guitar for almost 4 decades so I know one or two...lol
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

dubhlinn wrote:The Dubliners have always been one of my favourite bands.Luke Kelly in full flight is a thing of great beauty.Once you get past the Wild Rover/Whiskey in the Jar stuff there are a huge amount of songs in their repertoire which are pure class.Luke was probably the finest interpreter of Ewan McColl songs in the business.

Other bands that get regular playing here would be the Bothys,Altan,De Dannann and Planxty with a touch of the early (1-4) Chieftains.

Slan,
D.
Exactly, exactly. Luke was just the best of all. I'd say he was the finest interpreter of any good song, though not all the songs he chose to sing were quite in that category. To your groups I'd add Danu (though their last album is not quite up to the earlier ones) and Ron Kavana and Friends/Alias Ron Kavana. I wonder what's happened to Ron. I haven't heard anything from him for several years.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I think the Songs on Danu's last album were not up to par as earlier ones. The tunes is a different story.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Unseen122 wrote:I think the Songs on Danu's last album were not up to par as earlier ones. The tunes is a different story.
I agree. That's what I meant but I didn't express myself very well...Sunday night is Chardonnay night... :wink:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Sounds like fun.
chas

Post by chas »

mukade wrote:My current favourite CD is 'Top of the Coom' by Conal O'Grada.
I got that and listened to it several times over several months. I just don't get it. I feel like I'm listening to a jackhammer when I put it on. I was listening to it when I first got it, and my mother in law was over, and she asked, "Can anybody really DANCE to that?" I admire the guy, but just don't understand his playing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Been listening to Sa Gaiety (a live recording of Sean O Riada's bunch, some of whom eventually morphed into The Chieftains), and I'm finally getting my head around Limerick's Lamentation. What a quintessentially Irish melody that is.

It's very interesting to hear the fruits of O Riada's vision, and its influence on The Chieftains, especially the earlier stuff, is very much apparent. Don't care for all of the recording personally, but it's a good document.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Indeed,

Limericks Lamention is by far, the finest tune on the whole album.
Sean O'Shea did his bit ,but it does boil down to the Birth of the Chieftains and that in itself ain't necessarily a bad thing.

I was just starting then and I think I played the Album 'till the black was turning white, and the sound existed only in my head...

Yeah...awesome stuff...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Altan
Danú
Clannad (their older stuff...not the new agey stuff they did later)
Teada
Padraigín Ní hUallachan
Kilkenny Road (Hey, you guys! That's still my all-time fave instrumental CD!)
Navan (traditional music in the original languages, but also somewhat "un-trad," as they sing a capella harmonies)
Gaelic Storm

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

On the train the past few days I've listened to Mrs. Crotty, Flook, Tim Collins, Brid O'Donhue, the McEvoys and Cathie Ryan. Ciaran Tourish in the car. Daily Report and Lost on TV.