Am I alone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Am I alone?

Post by Congratulations »

Just wondering...

Does anyone else out there not like low whistles? I mean, it seems like everyone is just smitten with them, but I've never really taken to them.

Granted, I've only ever owned Susato lows (probably part of the problem), but I've never even really cared to listen to a low whistle.

Perhaps I'm in the minority? :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

This topic has been brought up in the fairly recent past couple of months and apparently there are a number of individuals that feel the same way, but have you ever gone to Phil Hardy's site and listened to some of his music? THAT sound is what keeps me after the low whistle.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Although I really don't enjoy much playing (I take it you mean low D) low whistles, I really love hearing others play them (well). I'm learning new tunes and practicing with the metronome quite a bit just now and working on a bunch of stuff, so I pretty much play the high D every day. When I feel "low," G is about as low as I go.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I prefer Low F for the faster stuff, I like Low Ds but I just prefer higher whistles myself but I think I need more lows as I only have two.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I have an Overton low F that I love. If I ever get another whistle, it'll probably be an Overton low D.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

I think the sound of low whistles is great. You can do so much with that tone...I like slow, sad, even haunting tunes (I will play the occasional happy song :) ). Ironically, I don't own a low whistle per se. I've made a few. Personally, I'm a confused soul. Some instances, I love high notes, and hate low notes, and sometimes its the other way around.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I think they are great for song accompaniment and slow airs. If you are trying to compare them side-by-side for playing dance tunes, well, I don't like 'em that much either. I'd rather hear a flute. I have listened to Phil's site and despite my respect for the players there, there is a New-Agey sound to it that I don't care for. The vibrato gets really annoying when overused. It's like having a spent emotion of some sort.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

IDAwHOa wrote:This topic has been brought up in the fairly recent past couple of months and apparently there are a number of individuals that feel the same way, but have you ever gone to Phil Hardy's site and listened to some of his music? THAT sound is what keeps me after the low whistle.
Hear, hear!
Not just Phil but there are artists out there that can reaaaallly pull some music out of it.
Years before I got into whistling, I was floored by Spillanes open in Riverdance. It captured feeling. I have heard touring versions that play that Reel around the Sun open and they sound like jobbers by comparison. I have listened to other quality players since I got into the whistle and appreciate its quality in gifted hands. That is what I strive for in my interpretati.....

Oh, who am I kidding?

I play the Low D in the hopes it is more virile looking than playing a high D. High D looks cute on Andrea Corrs....not me!

:lol:
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I sold mine off--once I got my first flute, I never seriously played them again.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have been thinking of selling my but I just can't bring myself to it WhOA won't let me.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Among others, you might check out "Trip to Ireland" on Mike McGoldrick/John McSherry's "At First Light" for an inspiring example of the "sad" motif... and "Watermans" on McGoldrick's "Fused" for an equally inspiring example of the more upbeat (almost jazz) motif. I consider "Fused" the standard by which my magnitudes-lesser Low D playing is measured. In current vernacular, "It Rocks!!"

I played a Colin Goldie tunable for a couple of years (excellent axe, by the way), but have been playing the O'Riordan since I got it a few months ago. I also have a Susato, but have never been able to play it well since I'm not an NBA star, and it's consistently about 15 cents flat throughout the range even when completely flush on the tuning ring.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

[quote="Unseen122"]I have been thinking of selling my but [quote]

Did I really write that? That is too funny I can't even change that to mine which it should be. I would recommend McGoldrick with Lunasa ont he first album bonus track Jacky Molard's/The Hunters Purse that is my favorite Low Whistle set.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I like the sound of them in some tunes. However I have a great deal of trouble playing a low D. I have 2, a Jubilee practice whistle and a Howard. I do like my Dixon low G quite a bit though and it is a lot easier to play.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

Low metal whistles often have a metallic sound--like wind blowing through a drainpipe. But I do enjoy hearing them played well by those who are good at them. Tony Hinnigan comes to mind as well.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I tend to find that a lot of low whistle playing is too new-agey for me. . . More precisely, low whistle playing tends to have a LOT of vibrato, sliding notes, and over-ornamentation (Not the clicky/bubbly UP type but the more "emotive" type, if that makes sense). For instance, Davy spillane's low whistle playing makes me gag. (Just a personal reaction - not a statement on his ability)

OTOH, I *really* like low/mid whistles when they are copping GHB tunes. . . the ornaments can get very crisp and precise, and it sounds god.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.