Quiet High Ds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sable
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Quiet High Ds

Post by Sable »

I am looking for a very quiet high D whistle, that I can use to practise indoors. I have a Shaw just now, but it is so loud on the high notes it sounds almost deafening in my wee room. Even when the house is empty, I can hardly bring myself to hit the highs at that volume, never mind when the house is full of people (it's quite a small house!).
What do you think is the quietest whistle out there?
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Mack Hoover is widely known for making excellent quiet whistles.
http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/index.htm
scheky

Post by scheky »

David O'Brien has a model of fipple (one of the two I just got from him) with a lot of back-pressure and a airy quiet sound. Not the whistle to take to a session, but it's AMAZING on airs (replaced my Burke as current favorite for airs). It uses very little air and has a reedy tone.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think either Hoover or O'Brien would fit the bill nicely.

For a bit more, a narrow-bore Burke would also do quite well.

--James
slowair

Post by slowair »

I have never tried a Shaw, so I don't even know how well this would work, but...

To quiet a whistle, something that was discussed on this forum way back when, was the idea of placing a paper clip into the window of the whistle. When done correctly, the paper clip rests inside with about half of it still sticking out the top of the whistle. Do not confuse this with the windway. The window. Think of your whistle as the barrel of a gun. The clip would look like a sight for aiming.

I've used this before and was surprised at how well it works. So before you go out and buy another whistle, try this instead and see if it works for you.

Hope this helps.
Mike
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Susato. No kidding. Place some Silly Putty over the ramp--adjust it until you get the tone and volume you want. I think it's one of the best sounding quiet practice whistles you'll find.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Tintin wrote:Susato. No kidding. Place some Silly Putty over the ramp--adjust it until you get the tone and volume you want. I think it's one of the best sounding quiet practice whistles you'll find.
Silly Putty? That stuff doesn't hold it's shape very long, does it? I know if you roll it into a ball and set it on a table, it'll slowly flatten out. Pretty fun to watch when you're really bored. If you wanted something that would stay on there, shouldn't you use something like modeling clay?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Well, the Silly Putty needs to be flattened prior to being placed over the ramp, and it holds its shape fine, but modeling clay would probably be even better. Or one could make it out of Fima (not FEMA) clay, bake it (the clay, not the whistle), and have a more permanent muting device.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Bluetack actually works the best imo.
andymac

Post by andymac »

Tintin is right about the silly putty / blu tack trick - it enables the volume of the whistle to be be variably modified to suit your needs and for some reason it works really well with a susato whistle. Probably because they are so damn loud.

Another good quiet whistle is a plastic Dixon with brass tuning slide
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Alba Q1. Quite a quiet whistle.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Dixon, Alba Q1, O'Brien, Weston, Laughing, and Burke Narrow Bore that should keep you busy.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Laughing beats Hoover & Dixon hands down for quiet, at least in my bunch of whistles. Only problem with the laughing whistle is how easily it clogs up.

The silly putty/blu tack/poster tack solution works really well.

Judy
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

another way of near silent practising is to fold a piece of paper into the windway, so that your breath is going into the whistle, but only a breathy wheeze is coming out.
I used to use cigarette papers, which don't last long before they get soggy. you could try something like part of a business card.

take the paper and fold it so it lies comfortably on top of the whistle just at the blade, then fold about a quarter of it downward into the space in front of the blade.

this is very very quiet!

b