Syn's

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Syn's

Post by Key_of_D »

Anyone have any opinions on the Syn Aluminum C whistle?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Sure do ! I have the D/C set. I actually prefer the C tube ! Nice tone , low air requirement , great value. Really good whistle , for the money.

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Kingfisher wrote:Sure do ! I have the D/C set. I actually prefer the C tube ! Nice tone , low air requirement , great value. Really good whistle , for the money.
I agree. I've got the D/C set and like the C best. The Syn has a distinct sound. (I know Wanderer has a clip in his review and I think there are some on the C&F clips page.) I find the C to be more pleasant, slightly less assertive in tone than the the D, but still solid and strong.
Keith
Congratulations

Re: Syn's

Post by Congratulations »

The C is superior to the D, in my opinion. It doesn't fight back as much in the high register, and it's got sort of a mellow tone that I like.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Henke

Post by Henke »

I like all Syn's in the A to E range very much. They are all a bit different. C is a nice mid-range whistle which combines some of the qualities of the high and lower whistles of the range. Can't go wrong with Syn.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I agree with everything they've said. I've had my Syn D/C set for a week now. Very nice.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well, this is all great news, as I've been wanting a good C whistle for a while now. I wouldn't mind a Burke, but they're rather pricey for my budget. The C's I own, are a Clarke Meg, and Clarke Original C. The meg sounds so so, and is out of tune, where as the Original just has a very breathy tone. I like the breathy tone for some tunes, but I've been wanting a C that has a pure tone. Hopefully this is my ticket! Thanks,

Eric
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

The C is the Creme de la Creme of the Syn set. I don't know if I'd go as far as Henke on saying all Syns down to the A are good whistles, but the C is the best of the bunch.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I would compare my old Syn C to my old Burke DASBT (only in C) but the Syn had a bit more complexity to the tone.
barbuck

Post by barbuck »

Ditto on all the previous comments on the Syn C. I've tried many C's (in a wide range of prices) looking for a particular combination of characteristics that would complement a couple of songs our band plays in C. I decided to order a Syn C last week (don't know why I waited so long; I've had an alum. D for a while...) & it came on Friday. It has just the right combination I've been looking for as far as volume, very strong low end, hole placement & metallic sound. The closest I'd come before this was my Sweetheart C, which had all except the metallic sound I was looking for.
BAR
Henke

Post by Henke »

michael_coleman wrote:The C is the Creme de la Creme of the Syn set. I don't know if I'd go as far as Henke on saying all Syns down to the A are good whistles, but the C is the best of the bunch.
Well, I think Erle himself once said that the standard bore size is to small for a workable A, but I think it works very good. It's a completely different whistle than the higher ones of course. Quiet and pretty mellow. I think it works great for slower stuff, but it's too quiet, unstable and slow for fast stuff. The higher whistles are great for fast stuff (some of the most responsive whistles I've ever laid hands on), but are far to shrieky in the high register to work well in slow tunes with extended phases in the upper register. The mid range, say C and B is like a compromise between the two. You can play everything on it, and it'll sound good.
Just my 2c
Key_of_D

Syns

Post by Key_of_D »

Henke, I don't know if you've heard these tunes, but if you have, would you say the Syn C is good for songs like O'Carolan's Welcome and The Wexford Carol?
Henke

Re: Syns

Post by Henke »

Key_of_D wrote:Henke, I don't know if you've heard these tunes, but if you have, would you say the Syn C is good for songs like O'Carolan's Welcome and The Wexford Carol?
Slow tunes right? A C would work, a Bb or so would work even better in my opinion. But If you'd ever want to play faster stuff than that, the C will be superior to the lower ones. If your serious about whistleing, my advice would be to get a set of different bodies with one head. It's not like it's very expensive.
talasiga

Re: Syns

Post by talasiga »

Henke wrote:......
If your serious about whistleing, my advice would be to get a set of different bodies with one head. It's not like it's very expensive.
I have two heads (Syn heads that is!) :lol:
Yes, one head has aluminium stem and the other lancewood (the beak of both is that black plastic stuff)
I find that the lancewood stemmed head plays more mellow and does not tend to block up and I use this head on my C, Bb and C# barrels. I keep the other head for the B barrel which it fits really nicely.

I did not get a D barrel because I already have a Sweetheart D in maple and that does me fine.

All my Syn barrels (bar the C) are aluminium. The C is lancewood.
A lancewood head (with the black beak) on aluminium barrels looks quite imposing and seductive. So I am told. :)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit