Question from a noob

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistlinglass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Question from a noob

Post by whistlinglass »

This is my first post, so hi everyone!

I've been playing for a while, but I consider myself a beginner, because I've never done anything advanced. I have limited actual contact with other whistlers, so I have a question I was hoping you nice folks might be able to answer.

Embouchure - the books I have on whistling don't talk about it at all, but I find it difficult to believe that it's unimportant. I generally try to keep a tight emhouchure, but is there anything specific that should be done/sounds better?
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Welcome! You've come to the right place with your question!

Someone knowledgeable will be along momentarily, but I wanted to welcome you.

Meanwhile, I'll just say that I close my lips around the fipple in such a fashion that air goes into the fipple and not elsewhere. I try to keep my face "loose" for the most part . . . relaxed. Too tight and the sound begins to be cramped. Or even screechy. I guess I aim for a nice sound, mostly. Whatever it takes.

Oh, and I sometimes leave the edges open a bit, as it seems to help control drooling into the fipple. But I think that's a personal problem.

Really, the experts will be along soon . . . just hang in there!
Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Congratulations

Re: Question from a noob

Post by Congratulations »

I've heard some people say that if you close your lips right around the edge of the mouthpiece, you can sort of control the airflow into the whistle, which helps with something-or-other. I don't do that. I tend to stick the whistle as far into my mouth as possible and blow.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Play a G (XXX 000) with cheeks out and then bring your cheeks in. Does it flip an octave?
If so, you used your cheeks to control breath and what note you played. Which shows that keeping your mouth area constant produces constant notes.

If not, ignore what I just said.

Thats about as much as I want to know about embouchere.

Welcome!
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The improtant thing is to get all of the air into the whistle you don't have to have a tight embochure just whatever works. If you really want to talk about embochures consider Flute.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

A data point: for whistles that need more push in the second octave, I have a lot more control (especially in passages that require rapid octave jumps) when I keep my cheeks tight.

Not really an issue with easier blowers, but when I'm playing something like my old-style Syn D, Serpent Sunsinger A, or Howard Low D I need to keep my cheeks tight if I want stay in the upper octave.

One of the things I'm finding weird about flute is that you don't have to blow harder for the second octave - just tighten your embouchure.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Someone here once refered to the embouchure question for the whistle as "internal embouchure" for lack of a better term. It is not any kind of official term.

As people have already pointed out, what you do inside your mouth can affect the pitch and quality of tone. You may find that you get a better sound when you do something with your throat, pull your tongue back, do something with your cheeks,etc. I sort of compare this to the feeling inside your mouth when you are whistling a tune just with your lips---you feel things changing in all those places as you change pitch. These things affect the air flow. Probably each person will have his own way of describing it or of doing things.

My tutorial book did recommend putting the whistle tip between your mouth only as far as it has to go for the opening to be covered. That way you can also change the shaping of your lips around the tip, and that can make a difference too. I was just trying it now and I do change my lip shape. I was getting an awful sound and I improved it a bit.

I found on the whistle that I didn't have to blow particularly harder to get into the second octave but that it's more a matter of what I do inside my mouth and with my lips. Of course, that could be very different depending on the whistle.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hi whistlinglass ! Nice to have you join us.

The issue of embrouchure is really not the same as when dealing with some of the other woodwinds. First of all , you are pushing a small column of air a very short distance , compared to other instruments. You really don't need to develop a "lip" or seal a reed , as you would with sax , clarinet , etc. Simply channeling the airflow through the whistle by sealing your lips around the tip of the fipple is fairly intuitive.

As some of the others have commented , tightening your lips , changing the shape of your oral cavity , or using your tongue to speed up or control the airflow is primarily all that's needed.

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm from the relaxed school of playing. The whistle simply does not need to be clenched tightly and playing even the highest notes shouldn't be that much of a push.

BTW-- Bill Ochs is one of the best whistle teachers in the US, and he's right in NYC. You might want to take some lessons with him.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Irish-Indian Lass

Post by Irish-Indian Lass »

Greetings, from rainy Virginia. I happened across your site from a google search and was delighted with the tunes and humor I encountered there.
I had a wonderful visit to Ireland this past August and listening to your tunes brought back grand memories!
I do not (as yet) play the whistle, pipes, drums or harmonica. I did play clarinet many, many years ago! I brought back a tin whistle for my youngest, though, so I may borrow it and see what I can do with it. Any suggestions for the best way to get started?
Again, it is great finding a group of kindred spirits!
Irish-Indian Lass (aka Veronica)[/b]
May the Irish hills caress you,
May her lakes and rivers bless you,
May the luck of the Irish enfold you,
And may the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Personally I play rather relaxed as long as the mouth area stays consistent to better control the notes. The cheek clenching (did that sound right?) I mentioned earlier is good for quickly flipping between octaves without having to increase air flow.

Irish-Indian Lass, since you are in rainy VA I assume you are near Richmond? I live in Southern MD and your rain is heading my way! The best way to start is to pick up the whistle and try to play a scale. There are plenty of posts with links to online tutorials. You can probably find them on the main page. Most important is to make sure you have a whistle that is easily playable or else you may get discouraged easily. Most souvenir whistles (also, BTW, my first one) are not optimized (tweaked) for ease of play.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Newbie

Post by amar »

Irish-Indian Lass wrote: Greetings, from rainy Virginia. I happened across your site from a google search and was delighted with the tunes and humor I encountered there.
I had a wonderful visit to Ireland this past August and listening to your tunes brought back grand memories!
I do not (as yet) play the whistle, pipes, drums or harmonica. I did play clarinet many, many years ago! I brought back a tin whistle for my youngest, though, so I may borrow it and see what I can do with it. Any suggestions for the best way to get started?
Again, it is great finding a group of kindred spirits!
Irish-Indian Lass (aka Veronica)[/b]
welcom irish-indian lass!
I'm a swiss-indian lad. ;)
Irish-Indian Lass

User friendly whistle

Post by Irish-Indian Lass »

Which specific whistles would you consider easy to start with?
(We are closer to Williamsburg.)
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

IF I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, FOR STARTER WHISTLES I WOULD GET:

A Tweaked Generation from Jerry Freeman.
A tunable Dixon
Any other tweaked whistle by Jerry

Would be the stuff I would start with. I know that there are others who have modified whistles with great results (ie, Mack Hoover springs to mind) but I have not tried them. Others who have played them are better qualified to answer than I.
Last edited by StewySmoot on Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Paul mentions Bill Ochs he has a great Whistle tutorial which you should definanantley get.