Long distance love.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Long distance love.

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

AP
Nicole's tag recorded data on time, temperature, water depth and light levels during her journey.

JOHANNESBURG (Oct. 6) - A great white shark has astounded scientists by swimming from South Africa to Australia and back in a journey that sheds new light on the murky world of the ocean's most feared predator.

The epic voyage of the tagged female shark -- named Nicole after Australian actress Nicole Kidman -- will be described in the Thursday edition of the U.S. journal "Science."

In the first transoceanic and longest ever recorded trip by a shark, Nicole swam an astonishing 12,400 miles -- and experts reckon she did it for love.

"We suspect that she went for reproductive reasons," Dr Ramon Bonfil of the Bronx Zoo-based Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) told Reuters by telephone.

"There's plenty of food around South Africa and she would be using too much energy to just go to Australia to feed. Of course we can't prove this at this stage, it is just a hunch," said Bonfil, lead author of the study.

Nicole's tag recorded data on time, temperature, water depth and light levels -- but not whether she mated.

Bonfil said her path was remarkably straight -- after veering a few hundred kilometres south of South Africa's coastline toward Antarctica, she arced east and northeast to Australia.

Along with California, South Africa and Australia are the great white shark capitals of the world.

LONG-DISTANCE RELATIONSHIPS

Nicole's long swim suggests the South African and Australian populations have far more interaction than previously thought and may not be entirely separate groups.

She also did it in just under 9 months -- which the WCS described as "the fastest return migration of any swimming marine organism known."

"We actually know very little about these things," said Bonfil.

Bonfil attached a satellite tag to Nicole's dorsal fin on November 7, 2003. She spent some time in South African waters before embarking on her journey.

On a pre-recorded date, it detaches and floats to the surface, where its data are transmitted via satellite.

"Although Nicole took frequent plunges to depths as great as 3,215 feet -- a record for white sharks -- while crossing the Indian Ocean, she spent most of her time, 61 percent, swimming along the surface," WCS said.

Scientists therefore suspect that great white sharks may use celestial cues for transoceanic navigation.

Over 30 great whites were tagged for the study, with many swimming up and down the eastern side of South Africa. But Nicole headed out for the vast Indian Ocean basin.

Her tag detached after 99 days when she was swimming a mile from shore just south of the Exmouth Gulf in Western Australia.

She popped up again on August 20, 2004, in Gansbaai, South Africa, where she had been tagged the previous November. Researchers recognised her from photographs of her distinctly notched dorsal fin.

Demonised by the hit 1975 movie "Jaws," great whites are fearsome predators but scientists say they are rarely man-eaters. Most attacks are believed to occur when they mistake humans for common prey such as seals or sea turtles.

-Rueters

10/06/05 14:01 ET
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Aaaargh! I thought you were offering! Thanks anyway, but I'm spoken for, J E!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
missy

Re: Long distance love.

Post by missy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:

In the first transoceanic and longest ever recorded trip by a shark, Nicole swam an astonishing 12,400 miles -- and experts reckon she did it for love.

Geesh - and Tom thought my making him come back to Ohio from Seattle was a long distance!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Joseph E. Smith

Martin Milner wrote:Aaaargh! I thought you were offering! Thanks anyway, but I'm spoken for, J E!
Nope, I'm spoken for as well... besides, long distance love sucks!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:...Most attacks are believed to occur when they mistake humans for common prey such as seals or sea turtles...
Sheesh, not that old excuse. My first two wives tried that one... :roll:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

buddhu wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:...Most attacks are believed to occur when they mistake humans for common prey such as seals or sea turtles...
Sheesh, not that old excuse. My first two wives tried that one... :roll:
Your first two wives were sharks? :lol:

{warning! crude and silly remark follows!}

... pruned for content...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Tyler Morris wrote:... Your first two wives were sharks?...
Yes, I know they were...

Ah, sorry, I see what you mean. It was a question, wasn't it...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:oops:

Sorry to intrude...

I thought this was gonna be about the Feats classic song.. :oops:

Ah well..
Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I did not know that Nicole Kidman was Australian. Joseph, you are, as ever, a fount of knowledge.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

Nanohedron wrote:I did not know that Nicole Kidman was Australian. Joseph, you are, as ever, a fount of knowledge.
Though I knew she was from downunda, Rueters is responsible for releasing the article. So... ermmm.... I guess I'm not as big a fount as originally thought. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

You're too modest. If it weren't for your bringing the article to our attention, many of us might have continued our collective misapprehension that Ms. Kidman was probably American. Or Canadian.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

I remember seeing Nicole Kidman in a couple of her first Aussie movies, and was struck even then by her beauty and knack for attracting the camera. I had no doubts about her origins. It sort of gives the lie to the old joke about any pretty women seen in Australia being tourists. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Actually, I wouldn't know Nicole Kidman if she waltzed up to me and planted one square on my gob. :lol:

No, I don't watch movies much, much less take note of actors. *sigh*

Cool article about the shark, though!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Nanohedron wrote:

What about Actresses then...

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Nanohedron wrote:Actually, I wouldn't know Nicole Kidman if she waltzed up to me and planted one square on my gob. :lol:

Cool article about the shark, though!
never seen nicole kidman? you're kidding, man!

*rimshot*