Good habits for a newbie...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Good habits for a newbie...

Post by Jason Paul »

I'm new to this - so hopefully I don't have any bad habits yet.

What would you suggest we newbies do from the beginning, to prevent having to break bad habits later? The only ones I've found on my own so far are:

Use the finger pads rather than the finger tips.
Learn finger vibrato rather than breath vibrato (although it has its place).

Anything else you wish you had done from the beginning?

Thanks,
Jason
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Other tips that have helped me:

If you already play a 'band' wind instrument (sax, flute, trombone...) try not tonguing at all. It's instructive for learning ornaments.

Do the 'death grip' check. Excess tension in the hands steepens the learning curve.

Your 'emergency' whistle should be at least an OK whistle. Being stuck waiting hours for something when the only whistle you have is a nasty one, well, that sucks. :sniffle:

Have fun!!
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
greg

bad habits

Post by greg »

ive only been playing about 3 months but one thing i regret doing is learning to play with those finger graphs in the book and then as i figured out how to read music i added leters above the notes so i wound up learning to play by finger charts and then by letters and finaly having to learn to follow sheet music i could have easily started with sheet music and skipped a couple of steps
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well now that you know sheet music if you decide to take up more instruments they won't be too hard. Now you will eventually have to learn by ear that is what I have trouble doing myself.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I regret ignoring pain in my right wrist and forearm. This website has some relaxation and stretching exercises. I would strongly recommend doing them even if you have no problems.

http://www.mindspring.com/~shin-on/handcare.html

I also spent too much time finding information and looking for tunes I didn't need. I got overwhelmed with information. I should have concentrated on one structured tutorial.

I didn't listen to enough music on CD's. That should be included as part of your practice time. Seriously. If your budget doesn't allow for CD's, there are radio programs on the BBC that you could listen to. And radio programs in Ireland. If you are learning music other than ITM, then listen to that kind of music.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Listen to music, Listen to music, and listen to music. If you can read sheet music that is great but I wouldn't recommend learning tunes that way. You need to get a feel for the music. Definitely use sheet music to help... it would be nearly impossible to learn every note of a reel by listening to it played at full speed :) . Listen to the structure of the tune. If you want to go crazy with your own ornamentations to traditional tunes, go for it. Just stay within the basic structure of the tune.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

When I started on whistling I also had too much tension in my fingers, as a result of which I lifted up my fingers too high.
It cost me quite a lot of effort to get rid of this bad habbit, I finally succeeded with the help of my whistle teacher, who kept pointing this out to me.
She told me that I wouldn't be able to play at full speed in the future if I kept on lifting my fingers that high.
:) Rini
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Use a metronome. Practice each piece of music as slowly as you can play it completely through with accurate ornamentation without any mistakes. Only turn the metronome speed up 1bpm at a time when you can play the whole tune comfortably.

If you rush through tunes making mistakes then you just reinforce those mistakes in muscle memory. A metronome teaches you to play in perfect time with perfect accuracy.

I dispair at the amount of so called musicians i see on stages who cannot keep accurate time throughout a piece of music.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Similarly, don't try to play too fast too soon. Learn accuracy first, then speed. Like typing.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Band Nerd

Re: Good habits for a newbie...

Post by Band Nerd »

[quote="Jason Paul"]Learn finger vibrato rather than breath vibrato (although it has its place).[/quote]

I use breath vibrato. Is that bad?
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

The best advice I've seen on Chiff is:
Enjoy your music. Few of us are going to be recording in a studio, and even for those that are, this will keep the flame alive for a long time. So many beginners burn out in a week, month, six months, a year, and it is mostly due to losing the fun aspect of music.

The other tip for beginners is to practice every day. Whistles are portable so there is always time to be made. A few minutes here and there every day will usually result in more improvement than a couple of hours once a week.

Trumpet player Eddie Lewis has an excellent essay about practice methods:
http://www.eddielewis.com/trumpet/essay ... cedure.htm

Lewis' keeping score essay is an eye opener and counter-intuitive, but it makes a lot of sense when I think about it:
http://www.eddielewis.com/trumpet/essay ... gscore.htm
I would wager that the vast majority of beginners practice in the way that reinforces bad habits that Mr. Lewis first describes.

Enjoy.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Get somebody to *show* you how to articulate cuts & taps. No amount of reading about it will completely convey what's happening.

LISTEN to tunes. Learn the ones that you enjoy hearing.

Have fun!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I can't say that breath vibrato is bad - I'm still a noob. However, in my searching the forum and online tutorials, it seems that finger vibrato is preferred and is apparently more traditional.

Again, this is judging just from what I've read, which is obviously not everything.

Maybe it's not right to say it's a bad habit, but I think I've read more posts by people who wish they'd learned finger vibrato over breath vibrato, rather than the other way around.

Jason
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Recognize that there are many disciplines to learn with playing the whistle:
Tune (duh)
Beat
Finger speed
Ornamentation
Breathing
Timing

A lot of tutorials on playing whistle emphasize tune and ornamentation, with a comment on where to breathe to "sound" ITM.

As noted earlier, this is where listening to lots of tunes comes in. I have probably 15 MP3s of "Banish Misfortune". Each plays it with their own beat. I cant and dont want to read music but if I had to follow off sheet, I would learn the tune and the beat of the tune but not the flavor. That is why I need to listen to it rather than learn from sheet.

The different styles teach me finger speed which comes from sheer finger strength development. Do I want to play "doo-pah-pah-do-pah" or "doo-diddily-pah-diddle-dot-pah"? It is like training any other muscle in your body, I believe, particularly in light of Cynth's comment about ignoring the pain symptoms. The best thing I found was treating my finger "training" as I would if I were running a marathon (like that's gonna happen): pace yourself. Dont over-do it. And the "training" I did was hours of practice with the whistle, not necessarily playing tunes.
I personally play reels with my fingers held high sometimes and it is not an issue. If I am playing tight triplets, my fingers are low but this is not a result of having learned to play this way. It is finger control.

Once the finger muscles were developed, it gave me the versatility to be able to apply ornaments with the discipline required. Sure, I knew ornaments but I applied it hap-hazardly and without thought. I now had the finger control to use ornanments to my advantage.

Breathing properly for me came with practice and discipline. There are certain tunes that I remember having a hard time early on, but the more I played, I knew how to hold a note more cleanly, knew the tune so I knew how to dispense my breath, and knew the right places to take a breath.

Timing is putting it all together.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Cynth wrote:If your budget doesn't allow for CD's, there are radio programs on the BBC that you could listen to.
I can't spend nearly as much as I'd like to on CDs, but I'm a member at three local library systems, and between them I've been able to borrow most of what I need to hear, and buy only those I'm really attached to. This considerably reduces what I need to spend.