Tunes in Western Florida

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:Pineapple anyone?djm
Ah, fresh or canned?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cynth wrote:I wonder why the American one is so late? I know I could look that up, but another day perhaps. :)
Well, <a href="http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2 ... ml">here's an interesting article</a> about how it became an official
holiday (Lincoln declared it so after the war), but nothing about why
it was done in November. Maybe Abe was just following George
Washington's example of a day of thanksgiving (in Nov.) for the
new Constitution (note: nothing to do with Pilgrims).

Apparantly, FDR raised a ruckus when he tried moving it up a week.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Denny wrote:fresh or canned?
Fresh. You'd have to be able to live in it under the sea.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

So, how bored ARE you? I do drive, and I'm relatively agreeable . . . are you . . .

bored enough to want to see alligators?

Or, better yet . . . ooooh! . . .

One of my favorite Florida activities . . . the Peabody Ducks. I take people to see them every now and then . . . most people don't believe I'm actually serious until they get there. :lol:

Right next door to that is my most favorite Florida activity . . . Bok Tower. This is the only carillon in Florida. It plays throughout the day. And, I can assure you, you could bring your pipes and play there--lots of room outdoors, you'd not bother anyone, and everyone would love it--and I do believe it would be spectacular.

And right on the way back would be Joseph Smith's house . . . perfect for gate-crashing . . . :D

Down in the lobby of your hotel, there is going to be a rack of attraction brochures. See anything that interests you?
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:Or, better yet . . . ooooh! . . .

One of my favorite Florida activities . . . the Peabody Ducks. I take people to see them every now and then . . . most people don't believe I'm actually serious until they get there. :lol:
I should have seen Peabody Ducks coming... :D
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Lambchop wrote:So, how bored ARE you? I do drive, and I'm relatively agreeable . . . are you . . .

bored enough to want to see alligators?

Or, better yet . . . ooooh! . . .

Right next door to that is my most favorite Florida activity . . . Bok Tower. This is the only carillon in Florida. It plays throughout the day. And, I can assure you, you could bring your pipes and play there--lots of room outdoors, you'd not bother anyone, and everyone would love it--and I do believe it would be spectacular.

And right on the way back would be Joseph Smith's house . . . perfect for gate-crashing . . . :D

Down in the lobby of your hotel, there is going to be a rack of attraction brochures. See anything that interests you?
Heh, I checked this a bit late...

I'm heading to Gainesville with Joseph for some pipering. You'd be welcome to come I imagine... it'll be at John Maze's place... give him a PM for details.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I figured the Peabody Ducks would be enough to get Joseph to take pity on you!
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:I figured the Peabody Ducks would be enough to get Joseph to take pity on you!
:lol: duh!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lambchop wrote:I figured the Peabody Ducks would be enough to get Joseph to take pity on you!
Actually, it was playing out of doors in this current humidity. Our reeds would be dead before we opened our cases... which, according to some, isn't such a bad idea. :lol:

Lamby, the link to the peabody ducks didn't work for me. :cry:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Actually, it was playing out of doors in this current humidity. Our reeds would be dead before we opened our cases... which, according to some, isn't such a bad idea. :lol:

Lamby, the link to the peabody ducks didn't work for me. :cry:
I had visions of my flute blowing up like that snake that ate the alligator.

The link to the ducks never works right, for some reason. You'll have to go to the hotel itself.

Once there, view the lovely duck scenes. Then, you'll see the little guys on the edge of their fountain by the bar. The link to the ducks is on the "Peabody Hotels" choice over at the lower right. There's a little video clip.

Hmmm, the really nice "orchids and ducks in fountain" shot seems to have disappeared. The bar shot may be as good as it gets.
Cotelette d'Agneau