Whistle tunes that are fun to play, easy to teach?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Musical_Midnight
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle tunes that are fun to play, easy to teach?

Post by Musical_Midnight »

Yesterday, friend had invited me to a gathering of musicians, mostly dulcimer players. I'd never had the chance to play with other musicians outside of church, so I went with a little bit of nervousness, not really knowing what to expect. She just had her whistles, so we sat together and had a fun time playing, sometimes switching between melody and harmony. It was a new experiance for both of us, and we enjoyed it greatly.

But what leads me to this post, as she & I were socializing afterwards, a couple of people came up and asked us if we would hold a whistle lesson at their annual dulcimer gathering in March. I don't know the full details, but from the sounds of things, I'd guess 100 or more people show up to this. But what caught me off guard was that they asked if I would teach as well. They were more looking for a class of intermediate players.

I've been a solo whistler for so long, I don't really know where the line of beginner/intermediate is drawn. She told me that they are probably looking for quicker-paced songs. So when I started playing 'Off to California', she told me, "that's probably too quick."

So I'm wondering if anyone would have some suggestions for good tune sites or books I could look into for this project, and also some tips for teaching other people. From my understanding, she taught a group of beginners last year, so it's likely that the folks for the "intermediate" class would have some whistle knowledge.

I've never taught any insturment before, whistle or any other, so this is going to be a bit new to me. Anything would be helpful.
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday....Was it worth it?
----------
Music is the traveller crossing our world, reaching so many people, bridging the seas.
---The Moody Blues
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Could you just play 'Off to California' slower?

Planxty Irwin is a nice tune: It's melodic, not too hard, and it's not played too fast. Bell Table Waltz is nice too and you can play it slower. Also, look at King of the Faeries. Also Rodney's Glory is a nice set dance that is usually played slower.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

"Off to California," is fine as an intermediate tune, just play very slow (like half speed) and break it into small phrases when teaching. Once they learn the tune, they can get it up to speed on their own time.

With a large group it is important to have material tailored for advanced beginners, true intermediates and advanced intermediates. It does not have to be three tunes. Probably better to do two tunes and then have pointers for ornaments or phrasing that the more advanced students can nibble on. You are going to lose some of the slower students at some point, but you probably want to go slow enough for them to stay with you for at least a third or half the class. The advanced players will be bored during that time. One technique is to enlist them to help the beginners.

With 100 there is no way you can hear everyone to see how they are doing. One idea is to break them into smaller work groups of 5 to 10 people at some point so they have social time and a chance to talk and perhaps listen to each other and give suggestions. Ideally you'd have at least one true intermediate or advanced player in each group. Depending on how well the groups seem to be doing, you can spend more time on your prepared beginner material, or more time on the advanced stuff.

Time tends to go fast, especially with such a large group. So while extra material is useful, you'll probably only have time for about half of what you plan to present.
sootfoot5

Post by sootfoot5 »

From your description it sounds as if they don't necessarily want Celtic tunes. If that is the case, I suggest you look for old elementary school music books. I have a couple of books like that and that's where I get most of my nonceltic whistle tunes. Those books have tunes in them that most people are familiar with like Red River Valley and Wayfaring Stranger. (With Wayfaring Stranger you have to cheat on a couple of notes, but it can still sound fabulous-very haunting) Most of the songs in elementary music books are in the public domain anyway. If they want fast but not TOO fast, you're probably thinking more country than celtic, so go for toe tapping Dixie Land. Just forget Polly Wolly Doodle-it is written in a bizzare key and just won't work. I have tried and tried. If you get it to work, let me know!

There is a web site out there that a guy has put a lot of public domain songs out for pennywhistlers. He says he's done it with an experiemental music software program. I recall that it is just that-experiemental-and that some of the songs just didn't work for me. But then, some did. I think if you ran a few web searches you would find it. Good luck to you!
whistling dixie in Alabama!
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

On The Whistle Shop's website there is a link to a"Slow Session", complete with music you can print out, plus mp3's slow & fast. This may give you some ideas on songs that may work.

I think I'd include a couple of airs, like Eanach Chuin or Taimse im Chodladh (at least that's how they're spelled in the Ireland's best book ;)), or maybe use a few familiar dulcimer tunes converted for whistle, if your 'students' are already dulcimer players?

Good luck!

Judy
scheky

Post by scheky »

You say they want a faster paces tune but a relatively easy one to learn?

Have you considered Marches or Polkas?

Maggie in the Woods, simple polka with a nice bouncy feel to it. That should be an easy one to teach to beginners.

Also, try Brian Boru's March. It's another easy one to learn that has a nice feel to it (and is easy as all get-out to learn).

Both of those can be taught slowly and easily pick up the pace. Polkas are better for beginners than Jigs/Reels.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I have found Polkas to be relatively simple to learn by ear. I don't know
why, exactly, but they seem to be the easiest for me. "Britches Full of
Stiches" was the first tune I learned on the whistle, and I got the hang
of that in about 5 minutes.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

I would suggest The Butterfly :wink:
:) Rini
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

scheky wrote:Polkas are better for beginners than Jigs/Reels.
Do you know why that is? I posted the same thought, but I can't really
figure out why. Is it becuase the rhythm is easier to latch onto, or is
there a limitation on the range, or what?
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I agree -Britches is great one for easy learning - a lot of the phrases repeat so once ya got the begining part down the rest is easy. Also songs that people outside of the trad world might know would be good. Like "The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomand" - they may already have the tune in their head so its a short path to the fingers.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I'd say "Amazing Grace." EVERYBODY knows the melody, so that will get you started.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

The Butterfly would be a good one. And The Munster Cloak is a great one to play as well. The Swallowtail Jig and Dingle Regatta are both good ones too, though they may be a step just above beginner level.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

fearfaoin wrote:
That would be because polkas generally have about half the notes that reels have.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Off She Goes.

The Three Sea Captains if you want a longer one. It's so tuneful that you get it pretty quick.

A polka is probably easiest. All titles just flew out of my brain.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
scheky

Post by scheky »

colomon wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:
That would be because polkas generally have about half the notes that reels have.
Give that man a cigar (bubblegum if preferred).