Marcus Hernon Flute - It's a Keeper

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Marcus Hernon Flute - It's a Keeper

Post by Sillydill »

Well my little tryst with the Marcus Hernon is over and now it is time to straighten up and face the music. :cry: Its time to end my torrid affair with this flute and I have tried to sanctify her for the next owner (played the hell out of it)! :twisted:

The flute is in as new condition (Made in 2004) and comes in its own solid cherry wood box.

I'll keep this flute for now and try to grow into it.

Thanks!

Jordan
Last edited by Sillydill on Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Did the case come with the flute? Both the flute and case look good. I wish I had a case like that for my flutes.

Good luck with the sale!

Jeanie
Sillydill

Marcus Hernon Case

Post by Sillydill »

Dear Jeanie,

Yes the case is made by Marcus Hernon especially for his flutes. The case is actually made out of a single piece of cheery wood, sawn in half and the recesses inside milled out with a router or endmill. The case is to say the least SOLID and Beautiful! Marcus used to offer these cases as an extra for about $100, but I believe they are now standard with all of his flutes.

Keep Makin Music!

Jordan
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I knew I shouldn't have bought an M&E...
Ok there will be other Flutes.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Unseen122 wrote:I knew I shouldn't have bought an M&E...
Just curious - are you unhappy with your M.E.R.R. for some reason?

I doubt I will ever part with mine because it's so useful as an impromptu noodling/practice instrument.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Wormdiet wrote:

I doubt I will ever part with mine because it's so useful as an impromptu noodling/practice instrument.
I have a hard time giving up one of my M&E's. My rationale goes something like this: "This one has six keys on it and is his R&R model plays incredibly and can go anywhere with you without a sealed humidified environment. This other M&E is his original model doesn't have any keys so its easier to transport (aside: not like the 6 key is really that much more difficult) and Jon C. made it look all nice for me. I can't let it go, I hear he doesn't make these anymore."

So I keep both. :D
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I've seen a number of people store two mid-section flutes (such as the Hernon above) with the lower mid-section and the foot attached (again, just like the picture above)... Is there any harm in keeping a flute this way? It basically means the bottom two sections of the flute are never separated; does this compromise the cork or the joint?
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

So Jordan what are you playing these days?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Doc,

Well I gotta tell ya, trying to keep up with the Jones's is puttin me in the Poor House! :lol:

Currently I've got the beautiful Mrs. Copley and an austere little Rudall I aquired from Mkchen.

But I guess I'm following in your footsteps: :D

I've got a Casey Burns Rudall that is past due.

Just made arrangements for Scotia's McGee GLP.

And finally I have an All Wood Copley on order.

So the old Flute Fund is in Deficit mode. :(

But perhaps you could help me decide on the wood for the Copley. Dave has generously offered to make it out of Boxwood. I've never had a Boxwood flute and I would be devastated if some harm should come to it!

Keep Makin Music!

Jordan
Last edited by Sillydill on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Wormdiet wrote:

Actually the person I bought it from is sending it out today but I would have had just enough if I didn't buy the M&E, but them I would be going crazy over not having a Delrin Flute to take any where.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Sillydill wrote:Hey Doc,

Well I gotta tell ya, trying to keep up with the Jones's is puttin me in the Poor House! :lol:

Currently I've got the beautiful Mrs. Copley and an austere little Rudall I aquired from Mkchen.

But I guess I'm following in your footsteps: :D

I've got a Casey Burns Rudall that is past due.

Just made arrangements for Scotia's McGee GLP.

And finally I have an All Wood Copley on order.

So the old Flute Fund is in Deficit mode. :(

But perhaps you could help me decide on the wood for the Copley. Dave has generously offered to make it out of Boxwood. I've never had a Boxwood flute and I would be devastated if some harm should come to it!

Keep Makin Music!

Jordan
Hi Jordan,

I once had the privilege of playing a Copley with all three of Dave's headjoints...lined, semi-lined and unlined.

I quite liked them all, though I much preferred both the lined and unlined to the semi-lined. I liked either the true honk or the complexity/warmth of the all wood. I don't love compromise when the real thing is available.

At the time Dave was not working in boxwood. At the same time I was falling madly in love with my boxwood Burns so went that direction instead.

Boxwood is no big deal. My Burns warps a bit when it gets dry and straightens out when it's humidified. Plays the same either way. You will likely want to keep it humidified. There are plenty of threads on that that you can read. The short answer is a tupperware and a damp-it and a hydrometer. Shoot for about 50%.

Have fun. I'd love to try that two-semicircle embouchre on the GLP. I have a rounded rectangle and a modified elyiptical. I really need to post a thread on that......

Cheers,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Jordan,

Very sorry for not responding to your last PM, I've fallen quite behind of late :oops: At any rate, I'll throw my 2 cents in on the wood question, per your request:

I'd say absolutely go for the Boxwood option on the Copley unlined flute, It should be awesome!

BTW, if the Copley you currently have is indeed my old (original) Copley, then it is indeed a fine flute. I've owned two Copleys, played several more, and while I've liked them all, the original flute I bought from Dave back in....2001 was it?.....was the one that I enjoyed the most. Lovely flute indeed.

Now order a Boxwood flute from Dave and let us know how much it rocks when it arrives! :D

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Tintin wrote:I've seen a number of people store two mid-section flutes (such as the Hernon above) with the lower mid-section and the foot attached (again, just like the picture above)... Is there any harm in keeping a flute this way? It basically means the bottom two sections of the flute are never separated; does this compromise the cork or the joint?
If it's threaded there's no problem. The cork may or may not get compressed,
if it's corked,
but it's controversial whether this really happens, and it's recorkable
if it does. One option is to just slighltly join the sections.
Sillydill

Keeping the Hernon

Post by Sillydill »

Well things didn't work out as planned. But I'm happy! :) (So is my wife since I'll be replacing the household funds I pinched to aquire another flute.) From the onset I intended to keep the Copley, she is just so amiable and flexable and has excellent intonation! Anyone who plays the Copley will be impressed with it, unless of course they are such staunch maker loyalists as to have their flute maker’s name written on their underwear.

I'll confess my intentions with the Hernon were not noble from the begining. I just intended to use her and then through her on the old scrap heap with all the other flutes I've gone through. But knowing my time was limited, I played her intensely, leaving the Copley languishing. Well as the Hernon flute grew more familiar with me, she started to sing clearer and stronger and respond faster (funny how that can happen :lol: ). I have always liked her deep reedy voice (I can't "bark" with her yet, but we'll work on it)!

I offered up the Hernon for sale, not because of any deficiencies with the flute, but because of my own deficiencies. It was easier to play the Copley. But I will aspire to become proficient at playing the Hernon. I do not believe that I will ever be capable of mastering the Hernon. That is a pinnacle that only a select few can ever achieve, her maker being one.
Denny

Post by Denny »

enjoy the journey...grasshopper :wink: