Thinking about a tune teaching podcast...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Thinking about a tune teaching podcast...

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

I've been teaching a weekly tune class here in San Diego for a while now, been going quite well, the students are definitely enjoying the results. I've also posted many tunes on the Clips and Snips collection.

Now, to make the content more widely available, I'm considering starting up a weekly free, but donation requested podcast teaching tunes.

Just curious if anyone would be interested...

Cheers,

Michael
http://www.michaeleskin.com
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Hell, yes :boggle:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Seems like a brilliant idea to me.

What are you thinking of doing that would make it a podcast rather than simply an MP3 of a tune to learn?
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
monkey587

Re: Thinking about a tune teaching podcast...

Post by monkey587 »

eskin wrote:Hi y'all,

I've been teaching a weekly tune class here in San Diego for a while now, been going quite well, the students are definitely enjoying the results. I've also posted many tunes on the Clips and Snips collection.

Now, to make the content more widely available, I'm considering starting up a weekly free, but donation requested podcast teaching tunes.

Just curious if anyone would be interested...

Cheers,

Michael
http://www.michaeleskin.com
I like the idea
William Bajzek
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

colomon wrote:What are you thinking of doing that would make it a podcast rather than simply an MP3 of a tune to learn?
I wondered the same thing. The only thing I could think of would be to do a call and response type thing. You play the first measure very
slowly, then pause long enough for the user to play it at the same tempo. Repeat this several times, then move to the next measure,
then start putting the measures together. Though, this would be better if you were able to put bookmarks in the file so, when the user is
ready, they can move on to the next measure/group of measures. This is how we do it at our beginner's session, but it's probably hard
to do without interaction.

Maybe Mr. Eskin has a more brilliant solution...
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I think the call-and-response thing is great in real life but would be awkward on a podcast -- either too slow or too fast for most people.

Hmmm.... after a bit of thought, it seems to me I'd like to have the tune in a separate MP3, and the podcast walking you through the interesting points of the tune. Something like a less intensive version of the transcriptions pages out there, but demonstrating the key points via audio -- the interesting nooks and crannies of the tune, things you can do with it, snippets of other people's recordings, etc.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Mustafva

Post by Mustafva »

I'm intrested! I'd like to learn more tunes. I've never listened to podcasts but I know how it works and I also have an ipod.