Jefferson smiling?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Jefferson smiling?

Post by Walden »

The 2006 United States nickel 5-cent piece is the first year of a new permanent design, after a period of changig it every 6 months, with commemoratives of the Louisiana Purchase.

It's being billed as a forward-looking, smiling, Thos. Jefferson. To me he doesn't look like he's smiling, or even smirking... Mona Lisa has more of a smile. It is based on an 1800 portrait, and supposed to represent Jefferson looking forward, with optimism, to an age of imperia.... err... westward expansionism.

Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I'd say he looks optimistic... or at the very least, slightly amused.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I think he looks like someone's old auntie! Don't care much for that portrait of Tom.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

brewerpaul wrote:I think he looks like someone's old auntie!
How DARE they put my great auntie on the nickel wit'out our permisssin!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Why on earth are they insisting that his portrait (which i agree it looks like someone's old auntie :lol: ) MUST be off center? Our currency should not be treated like some new pop art type piece. I think it looks ridiculous :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Walden wrote:To me he doesn't look like he's smiling, or even smirking
Perhaps its more the look of a man confident in his own financial security, what with all those slaves under him.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Good grief. :boggle: This coin is worth less than three pence and you guys are worrying about what's on it? It doesn't matter, they're all gonna be down the back of the sofa in no time. :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Jack

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:Why on earth are they insisting that his portrait (which i agree it looks like someone's old auntie :lol: ) MUST be off center? Our currency should not be treated like some new pop art type piece. I think it looks ridiculous :P
I agree with every word of that.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

jbarter wrote:Good grief. :boggle: This coin is worth less than three pence and you guys are worrying about what's on it? It doesn't matter, they're all gonna be down the back of the sofa in no time. :wink:
I agree with every word of that.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

djm wrote:
Walden wrote:To me he doesn't look like he's smiling, or even smirking
Perhaps its more the look of a man confident in his own financial security, what with all those slaves under him.

djm
Boy, you couldn't be more wrong. He was broke for most of his life, his estate auctioned off at death with a proviso to let some of his descendants live there for a while. That's why Monticello was in private hands for many years. He inherited most of the slaves from his wife's father and feeding and clothing them was a big part of his debt, along with his lavish tastes in books, wine, food etc. He was a big spender. He also took care to train many (not all) of his slaves for occupations beyond slavery.

Not a fair jibe.

That famous portrait is one of the reasons he is called "The American Sphinx," along with many contradictions of his life.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jack

Post by Jack »

I do believe this post has turned political.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:I do believe this post has turned political.
Perhaps, but not so much in the sense of current politics as a discussion of American history. Really, it's not even so much political history as a slight veering off onto the personal life of one of the Founding Fathers.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It's not the value of the piece as much as the history.
TJ was one of the most brilliant political minds to ever grace the planet. If he had human foibles, (such as a penchant for nubile nubian women), it was because he was human.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Walden wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I do believe this post has turned political.
Perhaps, but not so much in the sense of current politics as a discussion of American history. Really, it's not even so much political history as a slight veering off onto the personal life of one of the Founding Fathers.
Aw not really. .
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

brewerpaul wrote:I think he looks like someone's old auntie!
Thanks bunches. That's how I look when I could swear I'm smiling. Seriously. People will say, "C'mon, smile (don't you just HATE that?)," and I'll reply, "But I am smiling. Can't you tell?" :roll:

I kinda like the new design. Nice, artistic composition going on there.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician