cheap flute on ebay!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

But without the wait!

M :wink:
eilam

Post by eilam »

and well oiled
Dana

Post by Dana »

I have an opportunity to buy a used Olwell Nicholson in blackwood. What would be a fair price for this flute? Please post here or PM me, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Dana
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Dana,
Check this thread.
Note: This auction is not available on eBay anymore.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

No doubt this flute has some sort of damage and he's just scheming to get insurance money from UPS... I've dealt with this fellow before - obviously he's on another planet - with a different currency as well!

:lol:
Eliot

I noticed your negative feedback the other day

Post by Eliot »

No kidding?! Sounds right.
Estragon: Nothing to be done.
Vladimir: I'm beginning to come round to that opinion.

http://www.jacobsongaming.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

hidden in the oil...
Free Tinker

Post by Free Tinker »

The insurance scam sounds plausible. Before I read that idea, I'd been thinking...
chas wrote:I wonder if the seller is confused (both price and wait time).
There is of course another possibility. Without lightly casting aspersions, how could someone who actually bought and and owned an Olwell be so mistaken as to price it at almost 5 times its market value or think that the wait time for a new one is 5 times what it is easily found to be by anyone who has the slightest interest in checking into it?

Unless someone has gone to great lengths to fake the photograph (or cop aphoto of another flute), this is an Olwell judging by its crown design, rings, lined headjoint and slide. I've had one one on loan for extended periods (and I have a friend who has been prematurely parted from two of his own keyless Olwells in the space of 3 years) - I'm convinced its an Olwell. I'm not convinced the seller knows that much about it, which strikes me as odd.

Does anyone know him? Can anyone vouch that he plays flute etc.? Again, I don't want to accuse a stranger of anything, just want to suss him out based on the unusual circumstances of his listing. I have a friend (above) who might be interested in these details.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

It says in the payment instructions at the bottom...
The reserve price is $1500 Dollars
Certainly come down a peg or three since last time. :D

It does make me wonder why people are bidding less than this. Are people bidding that much money without bothering to read the smallprint?
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Additionally, I think we at C&F are his "unwitting marketing team." From that "fine print" section:
Seller's payment instructions
Buyer must have a Confirmed shipping address registered with PayPal BEFORE bidding on this item. We will only ship to the Confirmed address registered with your account. If you have questions, please ask before placing a bid. The reserve price is $1500 Dollars U.S. P.S. Special thanks to my unwitting marketing team. I had neither the time nor the inclination to do what you did for me! Thanks again spreading the word! Now! Let us see what the market says. :)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
kenny

so far......

Post by kenny »

So far the market says $862 - well short of $1500. We'll see..........
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Denny

Post by Denny »

fyffer wrote:Additionally, I think we at C&F are his "unwitting marketing team." From that "fine print" section:
Seller's payment instructions
Buyer must have a Confirmed shipping address registered with PayPal BEFORE bidding on this item. We will only ship to the Confirmed address registered with your account. If you have questions, please ask before placing a bid. The reserve price is $1500 Dollars U.S. P.S. Special thanks to my unwitting marketing team. I had neither the time nor the inclination to do what you did for me! Thanks again spreading the word! Now! Let us see what the market says. :)
Fiff & Chipple...unwitting :o

...well, at least we are known for something, eh? :wink:
KateG

Post by KateG »

Unwitting perhaps, but not witless. Given that his current reserve is much more realistic, I'd say the market worked! He may not have met his reserve, but he has ten bids -- much better response than last time. And who knows, there may be folks out there who feel that $200 is an acceptable premium for instant gratification, especially now that he's added a two-day trial period.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Yes...

I expect that his reserve will be met and the flute sold.