Hope this is a hoax

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hope this is a hoax

Post by The Weekenders »

How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, look at it this way. There are probably a lot of people like me who have no idea what Superman's birth name was. So it will just seem like an unusual name.

I take it that we aren't worried about some gods causing a problem because Superman's birth name has been used. That, of course, would be a whole different thing. :wink:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Whistling Pops
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Hope this is a hoax

Post by Whistling Pops »

I think it's pretty cool! :)
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Oh gag. Gag, gag, gag. That's as bad as Moon Unit and Dweezil.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I guess all us old farts have to accept that the cultural stuff we're used to just isn't the same any more.

A group of Katrina refugees came to Camp Edwards on Cape Cod. One woman gave birth there. She was so greatful to have made it throught the flood that she named the child "Cape Cod." I don't recall whether it was a boy or girl. I think they said they'd call her "CiCi."

I think it's all fine, although as a kid I remember looking up the origin and meaning of my name. It will be different for these kids.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Redwolf wrote:Oh gag. Gag, gag, gag. That's as bad as Moon Unit and Dweezil.
Close, but not quite.

They could have been more subtle and named him "Cal L.", with the "L." standing for nothing.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

OK -- Who here remembers the Superman comic when Superman went into the 5th dimension to visit his nemesis Mr. Mxyzptlk and the only way Mr. Mxyzptlk could force Superman back into Earth's dimension was to make Superman say his own name backwards and so Mr. Mxyzptlk kept trying to trick Superman into saying "Namrepus" and when he finally succeeded and Superman said "Namrepus," Superman didn't go back into earth's dimension because "Superman" isn't his real name so then Superman whispered "Le-lak" to himself where Mr. Mxyzptlk couldn't hear and went back to Earth on his own because that was his real name "Kal-El" backwards?

Anybody?

I'll bet Nicholas Cage does.
Last edited by gonzo914 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Denny

Post by Denny »

Ah, yeah... :lol:
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

There ought to be a society for the protection of celebrities' children from the imposition of stupid names. I believe one of Geldof's kids has spoken out quite strongly on the subject.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Could have been worse. He could have been Robin Cage.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Darwin wrote:They could have been more subtle and named him "Cal L.", with the "L." standing for nothing.
One of my uncles, the brother of my great grandfather, was named J. L., and the initials didn't stand for anything, that is to say, the initials were his official name. He was named for my great-great grandfather, whose own initials stood for Joe Lee.

Presumably, Superman's so-called birth name derives from the Almighty, who is referred to as El. I do not know the religious implications of this naming of Superman. Such prophets as Elijah, Elisha, and Daniel bore names incorporating El.

Some etymologists say that the Arabic word Allah is a form of the same word.

In Genesis 16: 13 we read that Hagar "called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou art El roi" which brings up the question of another cartoon character's name... but we shall leave the discussion of the Jetsons for another time.
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

avanutria wrote:Could have been worse. He could have been Robin Cage.
:lol:
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I have been acquainted with 2 patients who had initials for their given names, one TK and one LB.

Who knows what goes on in the minds of some parents.

That said, there are WAY worse names than Kal-el.

M
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

gonzo914 wrote:OK -- Who here remembers the Superman comic when Superman went into the 5th dimension to visit his nemesis Mr. Mxyzptlk and the only way Mr. Mxyzptlk could force Superman back into Earth's dimension was to make Superman say his own name backwards and so Mr. Mxyzptlk kept trying to trick Superman into saying "Namrepus" and when he finally succeeded and Superman said "Namrepus," Superman didn't go back into earth's dimension because "Superman" isn't his real name so then Superman whispered "Le-lak" to himself where Mr. Mxyzptlk couldn't hear and went back to Earth on his own because that was his real name "Kal-El" backwards?

Anybody?

I'll bet Nicholas Cage does.
I do, I do!!

Believe it or not, I met a guy locally who's name is Kal-El, with some sort of Irish surname.

Also, in Troy NY, there's a Bizarro Funeral Home. I chuckle every time I pass that one...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Walden wrote: Presumably, Superman's so-called birth name derives from the Almighty, who is referred to as El. I do not know the religious implications of this naming of Superman. Such prophets as Elijah, Elisha, and Daniel bore names incorporating El.
Also, remember that "El" is his surname designation...his father was Jor-El, the comic book makes reference several times to "the house of El."
During my time investigating I met a construction worker named Jorel (I asked him how he spelled it and if it was in reference to Superman....his parents were both comic nuts).

Bizarro funeral home?! :lol: LMAO :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown