Harpy Roll Call

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Harpy Roll Call

Post by Wormdiet »

I don't play a harp (nor a harmonica) myself, but I love hearing them play dance tunes. Anybody out there on C & F play the Mother of All Traditional Instruments?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Underhill

Re: Harpy Roll Call

Post by Underhill »

Wormdiet wrote:I don't play a harp (nor a harmonica) myself, but I love hearing them play dance tunes. Anybody out there on C & F play the Mother of All Traditional Instruments?
I play harp. It is primary instrument, but I love to play whistle to give myself a break from the strings.

I have several harps, all built by my husband. They range in size from 38 to 26 strings, with a smaller 22-string harp in the workshop.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Underhill wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:I don't play a harp (nor a harmonica) myself, but I love hearing them play dance tunes. Anybody out there on C & F play the Mother of All Traditional Instruments?
I play harp. It is primary instrument, but I love to play whistle to give myself a break from the strings.

I have several harps, all built by my husband. They range in size from 38 to 26 strings, with a smaller 22-string harp in the workshop.
Cool! do you play in sessions or more for "regular gigs?"

Did your husband use either the musicmaker kits or the stoney end kits?
OOOXXO
Underhill

Post by Underhill »

Wormdiet wrote:
Underhill wrote:[quote="Wormdiet"
Cool! do you play in sessions or more for "regular gigs?"

Did your husband use either the musicmaker kits or the stoney end kits?
I play for church services, open houses, etc. I don't think I could keep up with a session.

My husband used the plans from Musicmakers to build my harps (not from kits). He also built a stave-back harp from plans by Rick Kemper.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I started harp recently. Much fun.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Doc Jones wrote:I started harp recently. Much fun.

Doc
What type of harp do you have, if you don;t mind my asking? I've hit the harpy equivalents of C &F looking for advice, but the topics of discussion general involve the following:

1) How much should I charge for weddings
2) What piece should I perform for my audition to music school
3) What type of dress looks good with a harp?

(Somewhat kidding here!)

Anyways, the harp world isn;t so much focusd on dance tunes as the so-called "session world" would be.
OOOXXO
Underhill

Post by Underhill »

I've hit the harpy equivalents of C &F looking for advice, but the topics of discussion general involve the following:

1) How much should I charge for weddings
2) What piece should I perform for my audition to music school
3) What type of dress looks good with a harp?

(Somewhat kidding here!)

Anyways, the harp world isn;t so much focusd on dance tunes as the so-called "session world" would be.
If you are referring to the Yahoo Harplist, there is extensive archives which cover many, many topics. I know this because I have been a member of that group for a long long time. Of course, like all Yahoo groups, the "search" there leaves much to be desired.

I am not located near enough to any harp teachers, so have been self-taught for the most part. The various groups and boards have been a real blessing to me and my harp playing.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Underhill wrote:
If you are referring to the Yahoo Harplist, there is extensive archives which cover many, many topics. I know this because I have been a member of that group for a long long time. Of course, like all Yahoo groups, the "search" there leaves much to be desired.
Indeed, I spent about 5 hours recently reading anything on the list with the words "bray pin" involved :) It's a good resource. . . but I find the message board format inherently limiting compared to that of a subject-specific forum like we have here.

My dream harp is a Gothic/Bray harp with sharping levers and an extra string (FOr Bb OR Cnatural/C#) BUt this will happen when I win the lottery :(
OOOXXO
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I just started Harp with a Harpsicle. I'm loving it. ... 'Course, it's stuck down in Louisiana, but I'll get it soon.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

littlejohngael wrote:I just started Harp with a Harpsicle. I'm loving it. ... 'Course, it's stuck down in Louisiana, but I'll get it soon.
I'm toying with the idea of getting one for Christmas, but since I still needs funds for a flute on order, it probably won;t happen :(
OOOXXO
missy

Post by missy »

The luthier (David Lynch) that makes my dulcimers also makes harps. I don't know about harps, but he's been asked several times to sell at the cultural tent at the Dublin (Ohio) Irish Festival.

http://www.strothers.com/SW_Harps.htm
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

Hey,

I've played the harp for about 16 years. i got a larry egar harp in 1990 and bought another from him last year. the new one's an incredible instrument. the old's good too, better for sessions as its louder.

i play mostly dance music, jigs and reels etc, but know lots of the o carrolan stuff, more traditional harp stuff for requests at gigs.

i'd say every session i play in people still say they're amazed to see a lad playing a harp in a session so its still rare here in ireland. i imagine more so abroad. it does make a fantastic session instrument and if the speed gets out of hand, its very easy to swith from melody to backing.

for any aspiring players, its very easy to get the basics on the instrument and get to a certain level in a short space of time. and it's a fun, beautiful instrument.
Big Time
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I just got Eralio GIll's CD "The Art of Paraguayan Harp." OMG. These guys make O'Carolan look like a punter. It's pretty downright amazing.
OOOXXO
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

In fairness, there's not too many O'Carolan albums floating about!!

its very likely o carolan wasnt a great player. his harp was probably dodgy enough and being blind couldnt have helped his playing. his compositions are fantastic though - so many excellent pieces.

the paraguayan dudes sound interesting but. its mad seeing harp in different contexts and traditions. still i love it for the trad
Big Time
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Big Time wrote:being blind couldnt have helped his playing
That's right. He probably couldn't have been much better than Doc Watson, Jose Feliciano, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Gary Davis... :P
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe