Looking for a Whistle That's a Good Player

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Looking for a Whistle That's a Good Player

Post by dyersituations »

Hello again everyone. :)

Well, I am looking for some more first-person whistle advice. I am looking for a whistle that's a good player, as in it plays good and is comfortable to play. Currently I am mainly playing a Chieftains D and Humphrey Narrow Bore D. I am looking for a whistle that more matches my situation. The Chieftains D is what I have played one from the beginning and it is a fun whistle to play because it is expressive, but it is just too loud for the setting I usually play in. And, in Ireland it isn't appreciated. At Willie Week one of my teachers had me play my feadog instead. I like the Humphrey whistle a lot, but the Narrow Bore is a little too quiet for my purposes.

I would like to get a whistle that is medium - to - fairly loud for sessions, but not too loud. Whistles I have been looking at are the Burkes, Humphrey Wide Bores, etc. I would go for a wood whistle, like Bleazey or Busman, but it would be nice to keep the expenses down for now since I am a college student. Any advice?

Thanks a lot! :D
-Casey 8)
Life is good.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If you like your Humphrey narrow bore, maybe his wide bore would do the trick. You could keep the narrow for playing in quieter settings, or sell it if the wide bore fills all your needs.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Butterfly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Butterfly »

You might consider a Silkstone alloy.

The website is http://www.silkstone-whistles.com/

It's louder than my Burke narrow bore, but certainly not too loud.
:) Rini
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Go with the Humphrey wide bore. You already know how they play therefore know learning curve.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I'll have to agree with the others. If you like Gary's narrow bore , but find it not loud enough , give his wide bore a try. When I did a review on his Stealth models , a while back , I really couldn't understand why people seemed to prefer his narrow bore D. The wide bore is a lovely whistle with good tone and volume. It should be just the thing , for any session. IMO Myself , I've also just ordered one of Paul Busman's black acetal whistles for the very same purpose! Of course , I tend to suffer from a very advanced case of WHoa !! Please , Don't Worry !! I'll be fine !!! :lol:

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

You might also look at the newer Black Diamond whistles. There have been several threads here and over on Gaelic Crossings. Very similar in playing to the Humphrey whistles, but a friendly exchange rate makes it 20 - 25 dollars less expensive.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I was also going to suggest a Black Diamond. Also the Humphery Wide Bore but I have never played a Humphery so take this with a grain of salt. As for Wooden Whistles avoid the Bleazey it is very very very loud.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

For a cheapie with very similar volume (compared to the Humphrey wide-bore D), you might want to look at the Walton's Mello D. It's the only inexpensive wide-bore D I know of - uses the same head as the Walton's C whistle.

Though your session must be pretty loud if you're not cutting through with your Humprey narrow-bore D; it's not a screamer, but it's at least as loud as a Feadog or Generation.

If they're still available (not sure if Erle Bartlett is still making them now that he's introduced the Black Diamond line), a Syn D might be another good choice at a reasonable price.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Thanks everyone for the pointers; it's much appreciated! :D

I just e-mailed Gary for one of his Wide Bore D whistles, because I like the style of the Narrow Bore I have now. In the future I will look into the Silkstone whistles and maybe Syns and eventually I will jump for a nice wooden whistle.
-Casey 8)
Life is good.
dyersituations

More ideas!

Post by dyersituations »

It turns out Gary has a long waiting list, and I would kind of like to get a nice session whistle sooner rather than later, so I am looking for other options. I am looking for some more ideas! :)

On the plate of consideration: Black Diamond, Syn, and Silkstone.

I am interested in other whistles too: Burke, Sweethart, etc. It would be nice to find a good playing whistle (tone, tunning, expressiveness, etc) that is noticeably louder than my Humphrey, but not as loud as my Chieftain.

Any other whistle ideas? I would really rather play a whistle that doesn't have a metal mouthpiece. In reality, I know there is no problem with metal, but I prefer to play a plastic/other material mouthpiece than a metal one. :wink: Also, it would be nice to find a whistle that is around $100 or less or even a tad bit more, but I will probably eventually order a wood whistle; I need to save up a little first though. Thanks in advance to anyone who posts! :D
-Casey 8)
Life is good.
dyersituations

BD

Post by dyersituations »

I just listened to a clip of a Black Diamond on Clips & Snips, and it sounded really good. :) It actually surprised me how full the sound was; it has a fuller sound than the cheapies, at least it seems. That was one thing that worried me about that look of whistle. I think BD may be a good choice, and other people advised it.

Any more ideas? Thanks a lot.
-Casey 8)
Life is good.
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

You may want to take a look at the Reyburn whistles. It isn't too far from you, well same state anyway. I believe he will work with you if you call or write to him to make you a whistle that meets your needs. I enjoy my Reyburn whistles very much. There are some clips on Clips and Snips of his high and low D.
http://www.reyburnlowwhistles.com/index.html
Susan
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

If Gary's list is too long you may want to try the Black Diamond. It has a very similar sound and plays very much the same. I believe you can get one at Gaelic Crossings with no waiting.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Yea I am pretty sure you can get one from GC with no wait but it is taking forever for the one I ordered direct as I got a special price for being on tour.