Update: re: Susan

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

missy wrote:see - I made it easy on everyone - Missy IS my name!

(I honestly do try to remember to use the screen name instead of the real name when talking "to" someone on boards - doesn't always work but I do try).
Ditto.

But--did your mom spell your name with a little "m?" ;)

I don't care if people call me Harold. I don't like it that much, but it is my actual name. I've been told multiple times that Cran suits me better though. :P
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Lambchop wrote:Umm, I thought it was considered good internet manners to use a person's screen name
I didn't know that. It's a bit disappointing really coz I don't actually like my screen name, it was just something simple to type when I registered. I put my real name in my signature for that reason. I seem to have collected a few nicknames such as Fat Hobbit while I've been here.
For the record I'm John Thomas Barter aka Big Zambezi (but that's another story).
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
missy

Post by missy »

Cranberry wrote:
But--did your mom spell your name with a little "m?" ;)
no...... but since we used to make jokes about our family being a group of myopic midgets, it would have been appropriate! (at 5'4" I'm one of the tallest in my family - ALL of my grandparents were under 5').

I just used the small "m" cuz it was easier to log in with onehanded when holding a cup of tea or something!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
TomB

Post by TomB »

[quote="jbarter]For the record I'm John Thomas Barter aka Big Zambezi (but that's another story).[/quote]

Umm, and a story you MUST now tell, please.

Yeah, I don't get called much by my screen name. Someone, I can't recall who, (Nano??), that it creeped them out. It isn't meant to convey what it appears to, though. It's simply my first name and first letter of the last name. Like the Big Z, easy to type.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

missy wrote:see - I made it easy on everyone - Missy IS my name!

(I honestly do try to remember to use the screen name instead of the real name when talking "to" someone on boards - doesn't always work but I do try).
Sometimes I use the screen name sometimes the real name, if different.
It dpends on many things...unless they care.

Denny
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

TomB wrote:
jbarter wrote:For the record I'm John Thomas Barter aka Big Zambezi (but that's another story).
Umm, and a story you MUST now tell, please.
Not a very interesting one I'm afraid. I used to wear a huge brown leather hat that Pat (Wjindbag) said made me look as though I should be shooting big game in Africa. He therefore rechristened me John Big Zambezi M'Barter Last Of The Great White Hunters. Luckily that proved too much of a mouthful but the Big Zambezi bit stuck.
I'm better off than Anthea who, due to an unfortunate typo, will forever be known as Anathema. Among our friends we have Q, Denny Darlin', Helen Mac, Regette, Pickled Bear, Triple Bob, and Starchy (believe me, his name you do not want to know about).
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

TomB wrote:Yeah, I don't get called much by my screen name. Someone, I can't recall who, (Nano??), that it creeped them out. It isn't meant to convey what it appears to, though.
I'm having a maximum density day.... (soon, I'll colapse into a black hole from wich no joke can escape.)
I don't know what it supposedly appears to convey. I always assumed it stood for Tom Bealzebub, or somesuch.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

fearfaoin wrote:
TomB wrote:Yeah, I don't get called much by my screen name. Someone, I can't recall who, (Nano??), that it creeped them out. It isn't meant to convey what it appears to, though.
I'm having a maximum density day.... (soon, I'll colapse into a black hole from wich no joke can escape.)
I don't know what it supposedly appears to convey. I always assumed it stood for Tom Bealzebub, or somesuch.
I'd never seen it as anything but Tom B, Tom as in Thomas and B as in B.

But now that you mention it . . . wooo! It is kind of creepy! Especially with that turtle.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

My first look at this thread (after doing a double-take at the title but realizing immediately Cran was talking about the fish) and, after noting Will's kind dismay at my untimely (albeit false) death, I'd like to add my condolences, Cran. I've hated fish tanks for that reason - you never knew who you'd find floating in the morning. One of the doctors I work for has a tank in his office and there's neverending life-and-death drama going on in that thing.

(Re board names: Susan is my real name - the "fx" is short for my maiden name, Fox - but I don't care what anybody calls me on the board.)

Susan
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wanderer wrote:...NAS Corpus...
I tried so hard to get stationed there. Got Portsmouth VA instead. That pretty much ruined my remaining four years.
Will wrote:...barracks....
At the Naval Hospital in ----- California we had rooms like a dorm. The whole building was shaped like the letter "H". Women on one side and men on the other. Nobody gave a hoot who went back and forth nor what time of day. Pretty cool place. No inspections. Only once in 14 months did the Chief in charge do an inspection. Some new officer was put in charge of the Chief in charge and wanted to tour the barracks.
They toured on a friday night. The following week the Chief and the Lt. Jg. had a mandatory meeting of all barracks residents.

Those who weren't on duty gathered for the meeting. Apprehension filled the air. This was it. Our fun days were going to be over. The Chief rose and stood before the shifting throng.

"Last Friday, Lt. Whatever and I did a tour of the barracks." He paused, we shifted.
"This place smelled like a burning rope factory. There were empty beer bottles in the hall, stereos were loud enough to wake the dead and women were running in and out of the men's rooms in nothing but bathrobes."
Oh no. Party's over. We've had it.

He paused again. The Lt. sat staring straight ahead, firm determination in his countenance.

"From now on we will have periodic tours of this facility. You will be notified 24 hours ahead of time. The notice will be posted on the bulletin board at the MAA desk. It is your responsibility to see to it we have no repeat of last Friday. That will be all."

What a great place to be stationed!!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Flyingcursor wrote:I tried so hard to get stationed there. Got Portsmouth VA instead. That pretty much ruined my remaining four years.

At the Naval Hospital in ----- California we had rooms like a dorm.
Portsmouth Naval Hospital? I did some time there for a period in 1970. The barracks I was talking about were laid out just like the hospital wards at Portsmouth, with the racks (not single beds) lined up on opposite sides of the large room.

Will O'
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Wanderer wrote:...NAS Corpus...
I tried so hard to get stationed there. Got Portsmouth VA instead. That pretty much ruined my remaining four years.
I have a lot of wicked wicked stories from my time there.

I once dated a CPO's daughter...he evidently didn't like it but never said anything to me about it. When time came for one of my routine immunizations (yellow fever? Don't remember now) , my entire medical record disappeard. I ended up having all my shots redone in the arm that day. About an hour later, somebody dropped my records off at my duty station and asked me how my girlfriend was doing. I got the point. But I'm a stubborn guy..I went out with her for another couple weeks before breaking it off ;) (this is not much of a wicked story, I know..but it's the tamest one I could think of for public consumpition)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wanderer wrote:I once dated a CPO's daughter...
I didn't know the College Post Office had a daughter.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Wanderer wrote:I once dated a CPO's daughter...
Admittedly, not as much fun as dating someone's daughter, but I once shot the old man's wife a peace sign at Portsmouth. My last week or so there they had me pulling guard duty at the front gate (a way to keep me out of trouble I was told). You were supposed to salute the staff cars (the ones with the little stickers in the windshield) and wave everyone else in to the base. On my last day there a chauffer-driven Lincoln Towncar, with a sticker in the windshield pulled up and, for some reason, I waved it on. It went 3 or 4 feet farther then abruptly stopped. The rear window came down and a grey-haired woman in a dark suit stuck her head out and began dressing me down for not saluting the car. She also kept ridiculing me for not standing up straight while I was leaning on my cane. During this tirade I noticed that she did not fail to mention that her husband was the commanding officer at the hospital; I also noticed that the chauffer was doing his best to curb his grin. When she was finished I gave her that two fingered salute that military folk detested so much in those days. [Sure it was disrespectful of me, but a lot less so than what she had just put me through for not saluting the car she was riding in. I've always had this thing for equality and mutual respect, which never seemed to mix well with the military mind-set.] I remember her sputtering as she demanded my name and all the other pertinent info so that I could be rounded up and sent off to do hard labor. I also remember the chauffer giving me a discreet "ok" signal as he drove off. I left later that day, received my discharge papers in a week or so and went home. Nothing ever came of it that I knew of.

Will O'
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

At first glance I took in only the bit below, giving me a very different impression of what was going to happen... :lol:
Will O'B wrote:...I once shot the old man's wife...