Oh, those high notes!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Band Nerd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oh, those high notes!!

Post by Band Nerd »

What whistles have really good higher-octave notes? I'd like to eventually get a whistle that has solid high notes (probably up to high B ) so I can play a wider range of songs.

Collin :lol:
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Has anyone entertained the idea of an extra hole to aid in playing the upper register? Sort of like partial holing the thumb hole on a recorder?
Seems like someone came up with a "whisper key" for recorder at some point in history toward the end of the recorder age or maybe during the modern age of recorders.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

vomitbunny wrote:Has anyone entertained the idea of an extra hole to aid in playing the upper register? Sort of like partial holing the thumb hole on a recorder?
Seems like someone came up with a "whisper key" for recorder at some point in history toward the end of the recorder age or maybe during the modern age of recorders.
I thought that whisper key idea was for intonation; that is, you could bend notes into tune with it or something? I can't recall.

At any rate, the bassoon has a whisper key that seems to work alright. I don't know enough of the physics of it to tell you how that applies to whistle... :P
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Darwin

Re: Oh, those high notes!!

Post by Darwin »

Band Nerd wrote:What whistles have really good higher-octave notes? I'd like to eventually get a whistle that has solid high notes (probably up to high B ) so I can play a wider range of songs.
What kind of problem are you having with those notes? All of my current crop of whistles do well enough up to high B, at least as far as intonation is concerned.

My main problem is that some get really loud at around the B, and unbearable at C#. Some of the best for a non-piercing high C# are:

Hoover tunable CPVC
Sindt brass
Syn aluminum

Close behind are:

Jerry-tweaked Generation
Burke DAN
Humphrey Stealth
Hoover Whitecap on Oak tube

Also, if I really pay attention, I can get most of these last four to get through the high C# in "My Lagan Love" with minimal deafening.

This must be something that has changed, because I can remember when the C# was quite piercing on the Burke.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Band Nerd wrote:What whistles have really good higher-octave notes? I'd like to eventually get a whistle that has solid high notes (probably up to high B ) so I can play a wider range of songs.

Collin,

When you say "high B" do you mean "2nd octave B" or "3rd octave B"?

Because most whistles have two octaves of range, but I have never been tempted to go much beyond 3rd octave D, even with ear plugs.

But I can easily play two octaves with just about every whistle I own - Generations, Feadogs, Clark Sweetones and other cheapies as well as the more expensive models.

I used have real trouble playing above 2nd octave G, but that was my lack of skill, not the whistles. These days, about the only whistle I need to think about for 2nd octave B is an older-model Syn D - and it plays it fine when I pay attention to proper breath support.

But even if 3rd octave B with a whistle is *possible*, I don't think it would be anything close to *musical* - 3rd octave D and E are painful enough.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Burke black tip brass.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

http://www.saers.com/~craig/SuperRecorder.html
Shame this guy isn't working on whistles.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The Burke that I had was very good in the upper register, but the Sindts I now have are better.
Band Nerd

Post by Band Nerd »

Darwin: My problem with those notes is that they just sound loud and "iffy," as if they're trying not to come out.

DCrom: I'm talking about the first B above the staff.

I'm seriously considering a Burke AlPro D. The sound samples sound great at http://www.flutesite.com/burke.htm .
bjs

Post by bjs »

Add Alba Q1 to the list. Hard to beat for a medium priced whistle. Quite quiet - hence the name. More back pressure than the cheapies.

Brian
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

My O'Brien "C" goes up easily to top D without sounding awful at all. Very little back pressure but also very little air requirement as well.

A fairly quiet whistle even on high notes, but very clear up there. Does take a fair bit of breath control due to the low back pressure, but you soon get used to being gentle with it. It actually becomes very relaxing to play.

That said my other whistles which include a DASBT and a Black Diamond play well up high, but you do have to give them the effort to make them good up there. When i first started playing i did struggle to get clean stable notes up high. Practice is always a good thing.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Note that the whistle is only part of the equation in playing the high notes. Technique plays a big part. It's harder to get the air moving fast enough to make the octave jump on those notes, so you sometimes have to give it a bit of help. Adding a bit of tongueing helps, or maybe just a little extra "huff" of air for the tough note. A well warmed whistle will play the high notes easier.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I agree with everyone who has said any of them will play in the second octave but some are loud and shrill. I have several of the ones mentioned here that play easily in the second octave without becoming loud or shrill.

The Whitecap/Oak is the easiest to play in the second octave. Mine will go a few notes into the third octave without acting badly but the low end is a little more difficult because of the breath control required. You don't blow this whistle you gently breathe into it. The Humphrey is also very nice. Mine is the pre-stealth. I use it to play Tom Bhettys Waltz which is predominantly second octave. The Alba Q1 will also play nicely up there but has more back pressure consequently the technique is a little different. I have a Howard low D that plays well in the second octave as well as a Dixon low G.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Edward

Post by Edward »

You might like to try these fingerings (for long notes):

2nd 8ve A: XX½ XXX
2nd 8ve Bb: XOX OXO
2nd 8ve B: X½X XXO
2nd 8ve C: OXX XXO
2nd 8ve C#: OXX XOO

These are going to be loud:

3rd 8ve D: ½XX XXX
3rd 8ve Eb: XX½ XX½
3rd 8ve E: XXO XXO
3rd 8ve F: X½X X½X ½(the bell/end)
3rd 8ve F#: X½X XOX
3rd 8ve G: X½X OOX
3rd 8ve G#: O½X OOX
3rd 8ve A: OXO XXO

I've been playing some classical stuff lately (one of Beethoven's Duos), and the 1st part ends: 2nd D, up a M7 to 2nd C#, 3rd D, all the way down to 1st D. Here's the fingering I use:

½XX XXX
½XX XOO
½XX XXX
XXX XXX

I drilled a small thumbhole on a homemade whistle and it worked ok, but there is a little awkwardness to moving the thumb, so I prefer the alternate fingerings. Sorry for the long post.

Ed
scheky

Post by scheky »

I've never owned a whistle that I had trouble getting the second octave out of, however, My Burke WBB (old style, pre-black-tip) and my Copeland have the purest sounding tones on the highest notes.

Of course, that could just be because they are the whistles I use for practice more than others.