Learning the pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Learning the pipes?

Post by Key_of_D »

I've a question...
I'm 19, been playing the whistle strongly for 21 months straight, and is wanting to learn the uilleann pipes. BADLY. The thing I'm worried about is, if I'm too old to start learning them. I read that Sean Potts article posted a couple weeks ago or so, and it seems like most of the great pipers, started learning at the early age of 8 or 10. I know I'm not THAT old, but if I started them now or a year from now, does anyone feel that I might have some 'valuable' learning time left in my life? Maybe I won't become the next Seamus Ennis, but I'd like learn. Anyone's opinions or feelings is welcomed. Thanks,

-Eric
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Theres only one way to find out isn't there!! :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Eric, at the seasoned and vulnerable age of 19, you are not too old to start learning. The master piper Willie Clancy didn't start piping until his 30s.

If it is something that you know you really want to do, go for it, and stick with it through thick anmd thin. :)
mickspangle

Post by mickspangle »

I never knew that about Willie Clancy - that's cheered me up no end!

(32 yo and still struggling...wish I'd started at 19!!!)
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: The master piper Willie Clancy didn't start piping until his 30s.
Make that early 20s.
Joseph E. Smith

AlanB wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote: The master piper Willie Clancy didn't start piping until his 30s.
Make that early 20s.
Willie Clancy didn't start piping until his early 20s.... ummmm... according to Pat Mitchell's introduction in the Dance Music of Willie Clancy, Willie first saw the pipes being played live (by none other than Johnny Doran) in 1936 at the Miltown Malbay Races. And that it wasn't until 1938 that he was able to get a practice set (from none other than Felix Doran). Willie Clancy was born in Miltown Malbay on Christmas eve in 1900. This would make him 38 at the time of receiving his practice set.
Reepicheep
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

I'm 36 and just starting out. 19 is not too old by any stretch of the imagination (and don't listen to anyone who tells you that you are too old)!

Peace!
Reepicheep
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
mayo_piper

Post by mayo_piper »

I totally agree Eric....I am 38 and am just starting out. I will be buying my first practice set soon. I hear it will be easier to pick up since you have some whistle time under your belt. God, to be 19 again! You can do just about anything at 19 given some talent and drive...Slainte !
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
Joseph E. Smith

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
AlanB wrote:
Make that early 20s.
Willie Clancy didn't start piping until his early 20s.... ummmm... according to Pat Mitchell's introduction in the Dance Music of Willie Clancy, Willie first saw the pipes being played live (by none other than Johnny Doran) in 1936 at the Miltown Malbay Races. And that it wasn't until 1938 that he was able to get a practice set (from none other than Felix Doran). Willie Clancy was born in Miltown Malbay on Christmas eve in 1900. This would make him 38 at the time of receiving his practice set.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.... Jaysus Smith!!! Get yerself some new specs for the love of all that is decent!!!

OK Joseph, we will..... my appologies.

No worries Smith... but next time, check your sources before you crack yer knuckles!

.... right... next time for certain....
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

19 is not too old to start. You'll have your 21 years done by the time you're 40 :lol:

I started at 24, stopped at 27, started again at 29 and haven't looked back since (I'm 34). :roll:
PJ
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

mayo_piper wrote:God, to be 19 again! You can do just about anything at 19 given some talent and drive.
Come on mayo_piper, 38 is too young to be getting nostalgic. I'm pretty sure that there are some octogenarians reading this and thinking to themselves "God, to be 38 again..." :wink:
PJ
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Boy, would I like to be 38 again (says the 65 year old man)! :lol:

I wish I had known that I was a woodwind person when I was your age. I wasted my fastest learning times trying to learn guitar. I have decided that I am string impaired.

You are never too old to learn something, humans aren't the same as old dogs and besides, I have taught old dogs new tricks as well. That tends to disprove that old saying.

I got my practice set at age 54 and I am having a ball (when my illness allows me the strength to play them).

Welcome to the dark side....
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, this'll cheer you all up. I'll be getting my practice set sometime around March when I'll be 56! But you only live once, even if you're 19. One benefit of this is that I don't have to worry about "getting there". :lol:

Even if one is young though, I think looking at things in terms of small steps and taking pride in small accomplishments will serve you better than looking at where you are going to be in twenty years. If your reward is that far off, it will be hard to keep at it through the hard parts. Not to say that a big goal isn't good, just keep your eye on the everyday things.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jer_Mac_an_Jac

I got my practice set at 52

Post by Jer_Mac_an_Jac »

40 years of quitar, 10 years of trad fiddle...and now I am starting this monster.
I am 53.
My approach is I love to play the things...even that it's a miracle when I get through the one jig I play without a f*rt, sqeak or belch.
I love the sound. I love the feel.

I don't even think of where I am going or when I will 'get there' on the instrument. Like mastering any instrument, as you progress you often feel the more you know, the less you know. You never reach the goal as it moves ahead of your learning.
So, I say: who cares?
If you play with a real love for it - you will be fine.
Sincerely and aging,
Jer
smithand

Re: Learning the pipes?

Post by smithand »

Key_of_D wrote:I've a question...
I'm 19, been playing the whistle strongly for 21 months straight, and is wanting to learn the uilleann pipes. BADLY. The thing I'm worried about is, if I'm too old to start learning them. I read that Sean Potts article posted a couple weeks ago or so, and it seems like most of the great pipers, started learning at the early age of 8 or 10. I know I'm not THAT old, but if I started them now or a year from now, does anyone feel that I might have some 'valuable' learning time left in my life? Maybe I won't become the next Seamus Ennis, but I'd like learn. Anyone's opinions or feelings is welcomed. Thanks,

-Eric
I'm 39 and have been playing just for a couple of months. I'm not going to be one of the great pipers but if I stick at it I'm sure that I'll eventually be able to pipe to a reasonable standard.

Andrew