Why are Some Makers Not Mentioned

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

When I started, the main buzz was Dixon vs Sausato. We rarely talk about Dixon anymore.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Darwin wrote:One I read a lot about when I first came to C&F was Elf Song. I haven't seen a word about them in quite a while now.
I still love my Elf Songs, and play them frequently.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Darwin wrote:One I read a lot about when I first came to C&F was Elf Song. I haven't seen a word about them in quite a while now.
Sandy still stops by...the chatter has died out though.

edited to fix my quote, ah, issue.
Last edited by Denny on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

It is a peek at a larger phenemenom of fashion and buzz, or what is hot and what is not. Whistles come into and out of fashion, both in the larger community and the people here. A lot of the discussion is when someone asks for advice, or receives a new whistle, or has one for sale. The makers that are popular here get more buzz. Some makers actively post here and that helps them.

Of Parkhurst, this is the very first I have heard of them. On Tully, they have a long waiting list and rarely get bought or sold so that eliminates them from most discussions--no one can recommend a whistle that can't be bought.

It is also interesting to see how offering prices of used whistles has fluctuated. When I first joined Chiff there was an influx of newbies and prices for used whistles was about 80% of retail. Now that tide has gone out and only a few brands of used whistles retain that much of their value. 50% of retail is more common, especially for brands that are on the outs.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

My car is 12 or 13 years old which I bought brand new and I would not dare to speak about it as it is a part of my life.Sindt whistles are as if they didnt exist here but it's now a part of my life,the same thing,I think.

I think Buzz is a sign of something else which shows they are still looking for what they are really looking for.

Although I have to admit that an act of Buzzing is fun sometimes,I must save my energy as I am getting older. :D
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Sindts are rarely talked about but on the other hand Burkes are mentioned a million times a day and I recently traded a Burke DASBT for a Sindt C. It could show something else but we may never know. Also Bleazeys are not mentioned a lot but the few who have them agree that they are amazing whistles.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Unseen122 wrote:Sindts are rarely talked about but on the other hand Burkes are mentioned a million times a day and I recently traded a Burke DASBT for a Sindt C. It could show something else but we may never know.
I think Sindts are mentioned a fair amount. But certainly Burkes seem to be mentioned here far more than I run into them in the ITM scene. I'd say in the last year or so I've run into about the same number of people playing Sindts as Burkes. More O'Riordans than either, though, despite their reputation for being hard-to-get.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Really? I have seen a way higher number of Burkes in fact I don't think I have ever seen another person playing a Sindt.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Unseen122 wrote:Really? I have seen a way higher number of Burkes in fact I don't think I have ever seen another person playing a Sindt.
Is that like a metaphysical thing: If a person plays a Sindt but noone sees him or her, is a Sindt being played? :)

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Unseen122 wrote:Really? I have seen a way higher number of Burkes in fact I don't think I have ever seen another person playing a Sindt.
I've seen at least two. One at my regular session and one at a workshop in Dublin Oh. Plus Mike B has one which I've played.

I've not seen any Burkes except for mine.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

PhilO wrote:
Is that like a metaphysical thing: If a person plays a Sindt but noone sees him or her, is a Sindt being played? :)

Philo
The world may never know...
Denny

Post by Denny »

PhilO wrote:

Philo
Ah...

...only if the player is deaf?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Yes, really. At the local session, Colleen and Linda, both primarily whistle players, use Sindts. (Or O'Riordans, but I think they both play the Sindts more often lately.) Alison (a fiddler) and Jim (her father, a guitar player / singer) play Burkes, hers new, his old. I play O'Riordans (or occasionally Water Weasels, for keys other than D), and Dale plays an O'Riordan or one of a variety of tweaked cheapies. Other occasional whistlers play cheapies.

This pattern pretty much holds in all the Ontario sessions I've been to as well, except if anything, there are fewer Burkes.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Caru

Post by Caru »

People tend to talk either about those whistles that are quintessential examples of particular types (like Overtons) or else those cases where two fairly similar whistles are seen as close competitors for such a slot (Dixon/Susato in the "reasonably priced plastic" category, and yes, I know they're very different except for those characteristics). People are interested in comparing them because they are often trying to decide between them. There's also a lot of talk about new designs, of course.

I think whistles that don't fit those criteria often get little discussion. People who like them already know they do and don't feel the need to write about it repeatedly, and since there are so many different ones, people who don't like them have no reason to ask about any particular one. For instance, I love Silkstones. I have eight of them, in various materials and keys. I haven't posted about them lately, though, because I've had them for quite a while now and the novelty has worn off. I have posted about my Reyburn recently, even though I play it less, both because I just got it this summer and because the wood head on a metal body is an unusual design.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

I was in Montreal once and happened to stumble across a Session and there were a lot of Whistle players there that night about 7 including myself 5 were playing Burkes.