Granite Falls Soprano D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Review housed at http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/reviews.asp

(Review written Sept 2005)

Preface
In late 2004, Charles Tillsbury contacted me about possibly reviewing a whistle he was making and hoping to sell. Over the next several months, we kept in contact, and he would occasionally tell me about new designs he was trying out. Eventually he settled on one he really liked, and Granite Falls Manufacturing was born in June 2005.

At a Glance
Whistle Reviewed: Granite Falls Soprano D
Models Available: Tunable Brass D and C. Aluminum while supplies last.
Construction: Brass with plastic or brass fipple plug
Price at time of review:$34 US.
Available From: Granite Falls Manufacturing
How Acquired: Product Sample from manufacturer.

Appearance/Construction
The whistle is brass with a plastic fipple. Charles also makes a brass fippled instrument if you want a whistle made out of all one type of material. Overall the whistle is sleek and well made. It also hasn't left a brassy taste in my mouth like my brass Copeland used to.

Here's the full whistle. It came polished to a high gloss. It's already started picking up some finger marks and a bit of a patina.

Here's a close-up of the mouthpiece. You can get a good look at the labium ramp, which has been pressed into the whistle head. It's got the tiniest bit of an edge on it.

Here's another angle on the mouthpiece, showing the fipple area. My 500 watt shop lamp really makes the fipple look a lot duller than it looks to my naked eye. You can just see the brass screw on the bottom of the whistle that Charles uses to adhere the fipple. There's also just the slightest bit of a bevel on the fipple there at the end of the beak. You can't really see it, but the brass on the sides extends past the fipple by some near-microscopic amount. I wouldn't even have noticed, but when resting the fipple on my lips, I could feel two little hard bumps there. After a couple of days, I was completely used to it and stopped noticing.

A shot at the end of the whistle, showing the last three holes. The holes on this whistle are nicely-sized, cleanly drilled, and centered on the body. the F# and the G holes are really close together on this whistle. I normally don't worry about this, but I mean they're close! My fingers are touching each other when I'm playing. If you had a bit thicker fingers than me, you probably would have trouble sealing this whistle.

Here's a pic of me with my fingers sealing those holes. See what I mean?

The Granite Falls Manufacturing logo. It's really nice and cleanly etched. Professional grade work here. It's on the tuning slide, which feels a little wobbly. I never actually pushed it closed while playing it, but if you're a bit tense or grip your whistle tighter than I do, it's a possibility.

Playing Characteristics
This whistle has a fairly solid and pure tone (not reedy and not scratchy), with a bit of airy chiff. If you lean into this whistle, the airiness goes up, so I wouldn't recommend it unless that's the sound you're going for. It's an easy blower, so just pull back a bit, and let the music flow

Sound clips of the whistle:
Musical Priest

Volume: A little below average. This whistle is slightly quieter than my Sweetone whistle. The volume goes up as you move up the scale, and the 2nd octave A and B notes end up being louder than the Sweetone.

Responsiveness: Nimble. I didn't have any issues with this whistle feeling sluggish.

Tuning: The tuning on this whistle is pretty darn good. The breath requirements are smooth up the scale, without any breathing gymnastics required. That's pretty impressive. The tuning slide itself works great too. All the way in, it's about 95 cents sharp, All the way out, it's around 170 cents flat! That's far more range than you'll ever need.

C-natural: OXXOOO produces a C natural that's about 10 cents sharp, but can be brought in line with breath control. OXXOXX is pretty perfect. OXOOOO is about 30 cents sharp.

Hole size and placement: As I mentioned above, the holes are well made, but the F# and G holes are pretty close together. If you've got thick fingers, you should take that into consideration.

Air volume requirements: Below average. Maybe a hair more than my Hoover. But it's a close thing.

Air pressure requirements: Also below average. The second octave is easy to hit, though the upper most B does take a little aggression compared to the rest of the whistle to hit cleanly. Even so, that amount of aggression is below average compared to other whistles.

Clogging: I never had this whistle clog on me. Not once. No fading out, no getting scratchy or honking at me. Just solid performance. For me, that's golden.

Wind Resistance: For a quiet whistle, this surprised me. I played it outside on Saturday as Hurricane Rita was pushing through Texas. We were getting gusts in the mid-20mph range, and on the strongest gusts, the whistle thought about cutting out, never quite blew out completely. Nice!

Summary Excellent value for the money! This has quite a number of strong points that more expensive whistles struggle with. Like all whistles, there are things that could be improved, but all whistles have tradeoffs, and these are aren't too bad. Just be mindful of the hole spacing and the tuning slide wobble, so they don't come as a surprise.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I wonder if the maker has seen one of these:

http://www.tullberg.com/tully/whistles.html
~JessieD
ctilbury
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ctilbury »

Yes I have. Unfortunately, the gentleman no longer is making them. They very beautiful. And they sound great! Mr Tullberg is a real artist. We (at GFM) all wish his wife the best of luck while she is defending our liberty and a safe return home.

My goal is not so much to sell a work of art, but to sell a pretty and great sounding whislte at a much lower price than just about anyone else out there.
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

ctilbury wrote:My goal is not so much to sell a work of art, but to sell a pretty and great sounding whislte at a much lower price than just about anyone else out there.
A noble goal indeed.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

ctilbury wrote:Unfortunately, the gentleman no longer is making them.
Erik, hope you don't mind if I interject here.

Erik told me he'd probably not be doing much in the shop this year. Being a full-time parent of small ones is a priority. But he's not shutting down completely. I think we'll see more Tully whistles, and that they'll continue to be among those which are sought after for years to come.

Meanwhile Erik is making lots of music and lots of us who would like to own a Tully whistle will just have to be patient.

And meanwhile the Granite Falls whistle may be a good one to play! Turning this thread back to the whistle in question.

Jennie
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Erik's not shutting down. But he is taking a two year hiatus...that lengthens his already-long waiting list.

The Tully and the GFM whistle have some similarities in look, but it's rare to find whistles that don't have some similarities to other whistles. They're differen't animals, I can attest to that.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I keep hearing that these are great value.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Wanderer wrote:Erik's not shutting down. But he is taking a two year hiatus...that lengthens his already-long waiting list.

The Tully and the GFM whistle have some similarities in look, but it's rare to find whistles that don't have some similarities to other whistles. They're differen't animals, I can attest to that.
But there will always be those that feel a need to point out things in such a negative way, however so veiled they may be. :roll:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Message to IDAw...

This particular thread is about an evauation of a whistle. We don't want a whitewash.

It would be very unfair to the purchasing public for an evaluator to overlook faults in order to appear to be "nice".
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Whitmores75087 wrote:Message to IDAw...

This particular thread is about an evauation of a whistle. We don't want a whitewash.

It would be very unfair to the purchasing public for an evaluator to overlook faults in order to appear to be "nice".
Oh, I think the review is VERY good and quite fair, as usual. It is some of the responses I was referring to.....

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Steven, you've never spoken against me in public before. I'll make a note of it and refrain from giving you advice next time you ask.

I know things. Sometimes I keep them to myself and sometimes I feel compelled to reveal them. More often in recent years, it's the former.

It's a shame. People who know things get trampled on by the politically correct too damn often.

Newbies who read reviews from people who write only positive things don't trust those people in the long run (after trying and not liking some positively reviewed instruments). MANY makers ask me to review their whistles. If I don't have something positive to say about their instruments, I don't post about them.

Some unknown makers get indignant and drop names of people who have made positive comments to them about their instruments, but I will not compromise my honesty or integrity. If you aren't interested in nuggets of truth that I offer, that's just too bad for you. I did nothing cruel in this thread. You, Steven, however, did.

I'm outta here.
~JessieD
JessieD

Post by JessieD »

JessieK wrote: I know things. Sometimes I keep them to myself and sometimes I feel compelled to reveal them. More often in recent years, it's the former.

If I don't have something positive to say about their instruments, I don't post about them.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=waiting
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ight=maker
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

JessieK wrote: Newbies who read reviews from people who write only positive things
Could you mention the name of one of these reviewers who only writes positive things? Well, other than you, since you say you don't post negative things. Granted that Dale, for instance, admits he is a bit forgiving when he writes up a whistle, but even so, he will mention if a whistle has mixed reviews, etc. I think that this rose-colored-sunglasses reviewer is a bit of a C&F urban legend.

Now, I will absolutely concede that there may have been pepole who gave positive reviews about whistles you didn't like. People have different tastes. People have liked whistles I didn't and vice versa. It's why I try to speak mostly about characteristics, and let people decide if they'd like it or not themselves.

Now that I have my Tully out and am looking closely at it, I was wondering if you would mention which parts of the whistle you think Charles is copying? If that wasn't your implication, I do apologize for the misunderstanding. About the only thing I can find similar about them is that the Tully has a flat top and a square wind channel. The labium ramp, finger hole spacing, beak angle cut and method of securing the fipple are all entirely different. And honestly, the square wind channel cut looks a lot closer to a Shaw to me than a Tully.

Pictures for comparison:
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Jessie, your response says more about this than I ever could. See ya.

buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Very interesting review, wanderer, thanks. If I have a WhOA relapse one of these might be the cause... I'm tempted. I like low air demand whistles, and these look nice.

For me, your comparison pics clearly discredit any implication of copying. The two instruments bear only passing resemblance.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.