How long have you played the whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

On average how long have you been playing the whistle?

1 month-1 year
17%
1-2 years
15%
2-5 years
26%
5-10 years
12%
10-20 years
14%
20-40 years
14%
40-60 years
2%
anything above, choose this one
No votes

Total votes: 112

Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

missy wrote:I don't play ITM, but use it for whatever songs I think it sounds good on.
Me too.
Reasonable person
Walden
Arka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Arka »

Since July.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

izzarina wrote:I picked the 2-5 year choice...I've been playing now for about 2 1/2 years. I, like many others, have no sessions that are close by (well, there are some in Pittsburgh from what I understand, but that's almost an hour away), and I have found very few people that share my passion for the instrument in my geographic area. But I still try to plug away...maybe someday I'll be able to play well enough to let someone hear me play ;)
Living in a big spread-out city, I may have a different perspective on "long drives" than some people..I drive an hour each way to session most Fridays.

My grandmother, on the other hand, lives in a small town, and often complained about how fast I read library books as a kid because she had to drive "across town" to take me to get more. It was only after I visited when I was older that I realized that "across town" meant "5 miles" :)

While sometimes it's a real chore to drive an hour to session on Friday right after work in rush hour traffic (which is pretty much what I did in Houston, too, but on Wednesdays), I think over all it's benefitted me a great deal. If you can swing it, I'd encourage you to try to make the journey at least once someday so you know what you're missing.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wanderer wrote:It was only after I visited when I was older that I realized that "across town" meant "5 miles" :)
Maybe in a big city like Tulsa or Albuquerque.
Reasonable person
Walden
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I have owned a whistle or two for 10-12 years. I used to pull them out once or twice a year and pick out a tune or two. I have played seriously for 2 1/5 years or so. If I practiced more and longer I would play better, but I enjoy playing and that's reward enough for now.
Mike
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I guess I've been whistling for about 15 years. That's just a rough approximation mind you, but I definitely fit in the 10-20 category. :D
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Wanderer wrote:
izzarina wrote:I picked the 2-5 year choice...I've been playing now for about 2 1/2 years. I, like many others, have no sessions that are close by (well, there are some in Pittsburgh from what I understand, but that's almost an hour away), and I have found very few people that share my passion for the instrument in my geographic area. But I still try to plug away...maybe someday I'll be able to play well enough to let someone hear me play ;)
Living in a big spread-out city, I may have a different perspective on "long drives" than some people..I drive an hour each way to session most Fridays.

My grandmother, on the other hand, lives in a small town, and often complained about how fast I read library books as a kid because she had to drive "across town" to take me to get more. It was only after I visited when I was older that I realized that "across town" meant "5 miles" :)

While sometimes it's a real chore to drive an hour to session on Friday right after work in rush hour traffic (which is pretty much what I did in Houston, too, but on Wednesdays), I think over all it's benefitted me a great deal. If you can swing it, I'd encourage you to try to make the journey at least once someday so you know what you're missing.
Yeah, I would celebrate if I had one within an hour of me. I'd have to drive three hours to get to the closest session that I know of... :(
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I have been playing about 5 months, around May, and have been going to sessions twice a month since June. I have a musical backround as a sax player, so the basics of whistle playing came easy. I have found the finer points, the artistry more challenging, and thus, very interesting.
If there is a session in your area - you should go. The first one I went to, I new like, 3 songs. The folks told me what book(s) to buy and gave me some direction as to listening. I am guessing that most session people are nice and like to see new faces (as long as you are not obnoxious). I have found people more than willing to help. And you don't have to "solo" just play along, softly at first, and if ya miss a note or two no one will notice.

GO!
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Congratulations wrote:Yeah, I would celebrate if I had one within an hour of me. I'd have to drive three hours to get to the closest session that I know of... :(
One of my buddies pretty routinely drives to Toronto or Chicago to catch the good sessions in those cities -- that's (very roughly speaking) four hours drive each way. And I'd probably do it myself at least every other month if I weren't married.... these sorts of things are easier when you're single, don't have a dog to worry about, and don't mind sleeping on other people's floors.

Before I moved to Ann Arbor (and when I was still single), I drove to a session an hour away at least once a week -- and drove the two hours to Ann Arbor for sessions and concerts often enough that it made good sense to move here!
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: How long have you played the whistle?

Post by anniemcu »

talimirr743 wrote:We havn't had a pole in a while, so I thought I would post one.
Well... I chose "10-20 years", though it's actually been more like 30, but if you take into consideration the looooooong gaps between actually putting effort into it, and the short time I've actually concentrated on learning more and getting better, it's more like 5-10 years, so I split the diff ... but that's kinda hard to cover in a poll. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I've been to sessions before i started playing whistle, but they were just sessions that happened to be on in the pub that i fell into. Haven't been to one since i started playing though.

As much as i'd like to get in there and enjoy my first session as a fellow musician, i do feel i have a little way to go with my learning before i feel comfortable within myself about turning up at one.

My big issue at the moment is A and B rolls. Bloody awkward things they are!

Anyone here go to a London session?

Sorry if it's a bit off topic but i've been at the scrumpy. :boggle:
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

I will have been playing 2 years in December (got my first whistle Christmas 2003!). I started lessons the following september and started playing in sessions and slow sessions pretty early on (maybe a little too early). I've come a long way, but I've got an even longer way to go (happily). I'll start flute lessons in a few weeks. It's been a great experience so far, though sometimes difficult to fit it all in.
Caffeina

Post by Caffeina »

31 years - eep!
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I have been playing for 4 1/2 years. I am at the point where I am finally feeling real comfortable with my playing. It is starting to sound exactly like I want it to. Tons of practice with all kinds of music and finding the right whistle for my 'idiom', I guess.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:
missy wrote:I don't play ITM, but use it for whatever songs I think it sounds good on.
Me too.
Ditto.

I do play some Irish airs and songs, even a couple of polkas and hornpipes, but my playing is more just IM, without the T.

I started just after joining C&F.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe