Giant Squid photographed in wild for first time

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Giant Squid photographed in wild for first time

Post by herbivore12 »

You can read about it, and see some photos, here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/ap_ ... iant_squid

The basics: a Japanese team is the first ever to obtain images of a living adult giant squid, which attacked bait suspended below a remote-operated vehicle. The squid was 26 feet long, and left a 6-meter tentacle behind attached to the vehicle. And whereas many thought the giant squid would be a sluggish, lethargic creature, it turns out to be a fast-moving, active predator. Yikes.

The sea is scary.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

That's cool.

I wonder how good they taste.....

I remember reading somewhere that they smell strongly of ammonia, so they probably don't taste that good.

What a waste.... :D
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
missy

Post by missy »

LimuHead wrote:
....like chicken (ohhh, that's twice in one day I've used that line!!!)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I seem to recall that they have a beak like a parrot. They pull their prey in with the tentacles and then devour it with the beak. I also seem to recall that some kind of whale has been found to have a stomach full of these beaks, indicating that specie of whale considers giant squids to be tasty.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I read about this earlier. It's great they finally got pictures of a live one.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

Squid are truly violent predators. The larger ones regularly attack divers who get too close to a swarm. Once the swarm gets into a frenzy they will even attack each other. Its no surprise that the larger ones are at least as ferocious. Sperm whales dive deep to feast on squid. I'm not sure how they could ever generate much blubber on squid, as they take forever to eat. Eating squid is more of a chewing exercise than eating.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

djm wrote:Eating squid is more of a chewing exercise than eating.
You have to swallow them whole. :D

I seem to recall that squid sashimi is a lot squishier than octopus. For some reason, I seem to have repressed the rest of my experience along those lines.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

HAILING CAPTAIN NEMO!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I also seem to recall that some kind of whale has been found to have a stomach full of these beaks, indicating that specie of whale considers giant squids to be tasty.
Sperm whales, I believe.

Here's a good book on the subject: The Search for the Giant Squid : The Biology and Mythology of the World's Most Elusive Sea Creature , by Richard Ellis.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Darwin wrote:
djm wrote:Eating squid is more of a chewing exercise than eating.
You have to swallow them whole. :D

I seem to recall that squid sashimi is a lot squishier than octopus. For some reason, I seem to have repressed the rest of my experience along those lines.
I have to say my experience with squid sashimi was different. I found mine --and it was the only time I had it-- to be actually kinda crunchy, sort of like a soft bell pepper might be: juicy and a bit resistant at the same time. Not at all chewy like octopus, which I can take or leave. Mostly it's leave.

It was only a matter of time until one of those squidzillas was photographed. Very cool. I wouldn't want to meet one unprotected. I'll bet I'm just the size for a snack. :o
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

LimuHead wrote:That's cool.

I remember reading somewhere that they smell strongly of ammonia, so they probably don't taste that good.

What a waste.... :D
Mmmmmmm... mega calamari!

I think that ammonia smell was on ones that had sat decomposing on a beach. I'd imagine that fresh giant squid would be quite edible.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Some deep-ranging sea creatures, including Greenland sharks, have urea-impregnated flesh, which smells and tastes of ammonia and makes them inedible to humans. I'm not sure, but I believe that the urea serves as a sort of antifreeze.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

brewerpaul wrote: I think that ammonia smell was on ones that had sat decomposing on a beach. I'd imagine that fresh giant squid would be quite edible.
According to researchers:

"Unlike the flesh of its smaller, edible squid cousins, Architeuthis's is saturated with ammonium chloride, which causes it to taste like a mouthful of household cleaner."

So Nano's right. Probably not most people's idea of yummy. Then again, people drink Jagermeister and eat haggis (hopefully not at the same time), so . . .

I'm starting to think that Nano is some kind of superagent, disguised as a flute-playing garage service-writer; he knows way too much about urea-laden sharks, the evolutionary history of cranes, martial arts and Asian languages than is right.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Herbi, I'm just a trivia sponge, that's all. Whenever I start blathering, just call me "Cliff Claven", and I'll shut up in a pique of embarrassment. :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

DADDY!!!! :party: