**Tuneable VS. Non-Tuneable**

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
straycat82
antispam: No

**Tuneable VS. Non-Tuneable**

Post by straycat82 »

I am very close to purchasing a Low D Whistle. I've done my share of research but have never come across any opinions on whether or not it's worth it to put the extra cash into a tuneable whistle. Is there anyone who plays a low whistle that feels strongly about one or the other?
Last edited by straycat82 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I like tunable because I play whistle with my wife. We have tried to balance the tunable vs nontunable so we can play our duets. I also play whistle while she plays piano so tunable helps here too.

If you play only solo than tunable is not so critical. It would be more important for the whistle to be in tune with itself and have a "c-nat" fingering that you are comfortable with.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
talimirr743
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by talimirr743 »

I guess it's just a personal preference really. But 99.9% whistle makers try their best to make their whistles to make their whistles already in tune. then I geuss it depends on what kind of music your playing, and if your playing solo, in a group, or with a different instrument.
Last edited by talimirr743 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Your title line says 'keyed or not keyed'. but you're talking tunable vs not tunable.

Personal opinion: yes, tunable -- not keyed.

Tunable is very handy when you're playing against people who CAN'T tune like concertinas or other whistles that aren't tunable.

Keys tend to get in the way, and especially on a low D you can half-hole or bend a note with very little effort compared to using keys. I'm not aware of anyone putting keys on low D whistles anyway.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I play at home a lot to MP3s and high-end non-tunables match the music very nicely to me.
I do play tunables because I like to twist them slightly to match my fingers better.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

If you ever want to play with other people, tunable is a must. It's as simple as that. You can say what you want about the makers trying to make the whistle in tune with A=440 Hz, but the odds are very good that is an ideal which as often as not the people you're playing with will not meet. And if you're not playing in tune with the musicians, then you're not in tune. Period.

Example: I played a 45 minute long outdoors dance with a couple of professional fiddlers last month. It was very hot, which made their fiddles go well out of tune. No prob -- it's easy to adjust my whistle, because it's tunable. If it hadn't been, they would have been forced to retune eight strings on the fly -- not easy. And if they had played accordion, or concertina, or probably even pipes, we'd have been completely hosed.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Tyghress wrote:I'm not aware of anyone putting keys on low D whistles anyway.
Daniel Bingamon makes keyed low whistles. And recently, Susato has created keys for their low whistles. Long finger stretch those Susatos...yep! :party:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tyghress wrote:Your title line says 'keyed or not keyed'. but you're talking tunable vs not tunable.

Personal opinion: yes, tunable -- not keyed.

Tunable is very handy when you're playing against people who CAN'T tune like concertinas or other whistles that aren't tunable.

Keys tend to get in the way, and especially on a low D you can half-hole or bend a note with very little effort compared to using keys. I'm not aware of anyone putting keys on low D whistles anyway.
I agree here. :) However, keys on a low whistle might help some one that can't reach the holes.
straycat82

I'm really not an eejit!

Post by straycat82 »

Oops, I was at work when I started this thread and a co-worker was asking why I had so many whistles so I was explaining that they were made in different keys and accidentally typed "Keyed...." instead of "Tuneable VS. Non-tuneable." Sorry about the confusion, thanks for all of the comments and input.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It really is if you are going to play with others or not. If you are just going to be playing by yourself there is really no reason to spend the extra cash.
talimirr743

Re: I'm really not an eejit!

Post by talimirr743 »

[quote="straycat82"]Oops, I was at work when I started this thread and a co-worker was asking why I had so many whistles so I was explaining that they were made in different keys and accidentally typed "Keyed...." instead of "Tuneable VS. Non-tuneable."quote]

I do that all the time if I'm writing or typing
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

One thing to think about:
you might one day sell that whistle; you might simply not want to whistle anymore (the gods forbid!) or you may well wish to upgrade to a better one later.
Resale value and even chances to sell it are MUCH higher on a tunable whistle than a nontunable one.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
tim-hart

Post by tim-hart »

Go for the tuneable if you can swing it. You never know who you're going to be playing with and you should have that flexibility if you can...
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Most of my whistles -- to my chagrin -- are not tuneable. I'd go for tuneable. I just got back from Louisiana (before hurricane Rita) and was in a situation where none of my whistles sufficed, save for the tuneable low d I had. I'll pay the extra from here on out.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

colomon wrote:If you ever want to play with other people, tunable is a must. It's as simple as that. You can say what you want about the makers trying to make the whistle in tune with A=440 Hz, but the odds are very good that is an ideal which as often as not the people you're playing with will not meet. And if you're not playing in tune with the musicians, then you're not in tune. Period.

Example: I played a 45 minute long outdoors dance with a couple of professional fiddlers last month. It was very hot, which made their fiddles go well out of tune. No prob -- it's easy to adjust my whistle, because it's tunable. If it hadn't been, they would have been forced to retune eight strings on the fly -- not easy. And if they had played accordion, or concertina, or probably even pipes, we'd have been completely hosed.
Hear hear.
Straycat82 please note the majority opinion here capped with this perfect example by colomon.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit