alcohol consumption

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is the frequency with which you consume alcohol?

Never.
17%
I've stopped/I'm recovering
5%
Semi-frequently or "socially."
42%
Every day (for better or for worse)
19%
other answer
17%

Total votes: 78

buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

During the week I usually have two 440 ml or 500 ml cans of beer (lager or Guinness at 4 - 5% ABV).

At the weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights) about half a dozen pints of Guinness a night. I rarely, if ever, drink spirits.

I'm vegetarian, so maybe I'm out of balance with alcohol ;) . I don't care: I like it and it helps with the panic...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

If I didn't have the middle-aged weight deal, I would drink one ale every single day, except on nights when wine was being served or matched the meal better. Ale is like really good food to me. So I couldn't vote daily, as I am down to two a week...sigh...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I selected the other answer.

I've been trying to learn to drink a little wine, but I really don't like alcohol much, and dry wines really leave me cold. I like some low-alcohol dessert wines pretty well, but it takes some effort to remember to pour a glass each day.

Forget distilled spirits -- too much alcohol.

As for beer, ale, lager, etc., everything I've tried has been disgusting. I'd as soon drink pig vomit. :D
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Number 2 for me. After all, "Beer ist Brot."
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

What a bunch of cheap dates we have here. :lol:

Just as well, that leaves more beer for me. :D
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I might have a beer or a glass of wine during the week, maybe once or twice a month.

On friday sessions, I usually have a couple pints of Guinness and 2-3 shots of Goldschlager. ;)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Your choice of questions kind of left out one whole group . . . you have teetotalers, reformed lushes, and current (more or less) lushes. I think you may have been aiming for "moderate consumption" in the last group, but it still came out judgementally lushous.

There aren't appropriate choices for those who drink for health reasons, i.e., the couple of ounces of wine with a meal, or those (like me) who may have a small glass of wine or champagne on special occasions, a sip from another's pint now and then, or a piece of rum cake at Christmas.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I like beer. I'm a firm believer in "everything in moderation including moderation." Beer, music, work, loving my family, and (to some extent) exercise are the only areas in which I'm immoderate. Geez, that pretty much describes my life, maybe I really don't believe in moderation at all. Well, lemme put it this way, beer and music (If you consider it a vice) are my only vices.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I slug back a good healthy dollop of wine nearly every day. I'm not saying how much in case my doctor lurks on this list, as I don't want him knowing I lied to him last time I went! I also love my grub and I eat organic food some of which I grow myself. I have a stupendous appetite for wine and good grub. My saving grace is that I can't bear to drink alcohol except in the evening. Even a half pint at lunchtime, or a small glass of wine, and I feel wrecked all afternoon. No thanks. Pub lunches are out for me. If it happens that I won't be drinking one evening (e.g. next Saturday, when we're going to see Ralph McTell and I'll be driving) I don't give it a second thought. Analyse that lot, someone! (I can't!).

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Lambchop wrote:Your choice of questions kind of left out one whole group . . . you have teetotalers, reformed lushes, and current (more or less) lushes. I think you may have been aiming for "moderate consumption" in the last group, but it still came out judgementally lushous.

There aren't appropriate choices for those who drink for health reasons, i.e., the couple of ounces of wine with a meal, or those (like me) who may have a small glass of wine or champagne on special occasions, a sip from another's pint now and then, or a piece of rum cake at Christmas.
Of course you're right. I'm very biased against the consumption of alcohol.

I tried to make the poll choices acceptable to everybody but I failed anyway. :P
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cranberry wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Your choice of questions kind of left out one whole group . . . you have teetotalers, reformed lushes, and current (more or less) lushes. I think you may have been aiming for "moderate consumption" in the last group, but it still came out judgementally lushous.

Of course you're right. I'm very biased against the consumption of alcohol.

I tried to make the poll choices acceptable to everybody but I failed anyway. :P
Well, I suppose that means you ain't buyin' :wink:

It is difficult to come up with mutiple choice answers for everybody...
Jack

Post by Jack »

peteinmn wrote:Number 2 for me. After all, "Beer ist Brot."
Bier!

Even I know that! ;)
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Cranberry wrote:
peteinmn wrote:Number 2 for me. After all, "Beer ist Brot."
Bier!

Even I know that! ;)
Cran

You're right of course. But you don't have to be a Esel about it! :P
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

[quote="Lambchop"]Your choice of questions kind of left out one whole group . . .

I agree there were some choices left off. However no. two came near to those of us that have quit. It is very easy to quit, I have done it many times. OK. that comes under the last choice of (other).
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I'll have about 1/2 a glass of wine a couple of times a month.

Over the years I have discovered that beer puts me to sleep and whisky gives me a headache. So there's no sense spending money on either of those. I had a margarita once and enjoyed it - probably due to the salt!
Charlene