If I ever got me hands on that Emmline one....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:a cigarette.

Ah HA!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Tommy wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:..it is very nice to be able to have a fag with a pint here in Belfast.

OK I give up. What is a (fag), over there?
A cigarette is one answer. The other is a kind of sausage, viz:

Faggots

Forms: faget, faggott, fagatt.

a) A bundle or bunch of herbs. 1723 J. Notts Cook;s and Confectioner's Dictionary. BA 27: A faggot of sweet herbs. 1741 Compl. Fam Piece 99 "A little faggot of thyme, savory, and parsley.
b) per 1851 description. 1851 Mayhew Lond. Labour II 227 "He made his supper on 'faggots'" This prepartion is a sort of cake, roll, or ball made of chopped liver and lights, mixed with gravy, and wrapped in pieces of pig's caul. 1858 Sala Journ. due North 308, "The curious viands known in cheap pork-butchery as faggots."

In this sense, faggot is never abbreviated to fag.

Here's the online source of that dictionary explanation. (You should have seen some of the others I googled up.)

http://www.kateryndedevelyn.org/sausglos.htm
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

An older generation here in the U.S. would understand perfectly that a fag was a cigarette.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A bundle of twigs or sticks.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

A faggot is a savorry duck.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

So is a Daggot a savoury f'=.k?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

flanum wrote:So is a Daggot a savoury f'=.k?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

nor is a maggot savory....(yuck.)
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

emmline wrote:nor is a maggot savory....(yuck.)
I remember a Far Side cartoon that shows a mother fly arguing with a father fly. She says, "That does it. I'm leaving. And I'm taking the maggots with me!"

Best wishes,
Jerry
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:I take it it was the guitar player in the pub, not Dub who spoke the line that heads up this thread. And Dub doesn't specify whether the fellow was so incensed by a political stance of mine that he wants to rip my arms off, or whether he was thinking along other lines.
To clear up any confusion here I would just like to explain that it was the guitarist who was very keen on Emm.I asked him why he never posted and his reply was that we looked like one big happy family and he did not wish to storm in uninvited.I extended an invitation so if there is any Drogheda heads out there then come on in.

We are in Dublin now and I heard a lovely bit of playing last night in Hughes at the back of the Four Courts.
I spoke very briefly to a fiddle player last night in the Cobblestones but they seem to be very fussy about who they speak to and also seem to resent a new face so I did not hang about very long.To me it is about the Music and not the pecking order.

Got some nice pics to post up when I get back home on Saturday...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Dubh
There are so many different sesiuns going on during the week back to back in the cobblestones that it is inevitable that you would bump into somebody at some stage "having a bad day"!
I must say i havent found the 'stones to be like that, but i will probably be in there tonight (not playing) and if i see somebody that looks like a greeny-coppery looking gent on a bench, then i will most certainly go over and have the craic with ya!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

How interesting. I could see having a potential interest in getting to know someone online based on their posting habits. However I couldn't imagine getting too keen on anyone online based on their posting habits.

I mean, take me for instance. I have often come across as a sort of grumpy self-centered pain in the butt. However, those who have met me in person know that in reality I'm more like a complete arsehole.

You see, the interwebthingy can be deceiving.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner